main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Chewie and Leia...The aftermath???

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by BrahmanBob, Dec 18, 2015.

1. BrahmanBob

BrahmanBob Jedi Youngling

Dec 18, 2015
    Does anyone have any ideas on why they had no contact after Han was killed? They walk right passed each other when he returns with Rey without any acknowledgement...she gives Rey the meaningful look and hug while he's shown mourning alone, there's no goodbye when he leaves to find Luke, but she's shown saying goodbye to Rey...

Does Chewie know she pretty much forced him into the confrontation that got him killed after Chewie witnessed Han not say or do anything when they saw him carrying Rey?

Does anyone else know(Rey? Finn? Luke?)?

Does anyone else feel she's to blame besides me? (And Harrison Ford not wanting to be in more movies)

2. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    It was a huge ball dropped. It made absolutely no sense that the two people who arguably loved Han the most wouldn't have, onscreen, a mutual moment of mourning for this incredible loss.

I have some quibbles with the film, but this was a major problem for me. Han's death was so incredibly well executed and impactful, but the follow up sucked.

3. BrahmanBob

Dec 18, 2015
    I totally agree, that's why I believe it was intentional...There was a lot of attention to details and I'm sure little things could be missed or over thought, but when arguably the two most important people in one of the biggest characters of the series lives don't have any kind of consoling of each other...that's too big to be missed I think and now believe it's setting them up for conflict in the future because of her insistence that Han try to bring back their son

4. Apology Accepted

Apology Accepted Jedi Youngling

Mar 8, 2015
    It would be nice if you were right because that would mean the filmmakers actually thought about things like that, but judging by how lazy and unispired the story is, I seriously doubt it. Really kind of baffled at all the talk of JJ Abrams being such a 'fan' of Star Wars. If I didn't know better, I'd think this film was made by someone with little previous connection to the series.

5. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Perhaps Chewie was still cold and needed to run inside to grab a jacket.

6. chewbaccaofkashyyyk

chewbaccaofkashyyyk Jedi Master

Dec 27, 2000
    This is exactly the point I made in my thread no medal, no hug.

It makes no sense that they were not there to console each other. It's not wise to upset a wookiee

CoK

Darth Basin likes this.
  7. Zev.Love.X

Zev.Love.X Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 13, 2015
    I don't want to bash the film too much because I did like it, but this really bugged me a great deal. I thought it was negligently mishandled. VIII should start with a funeral or something.

Dorme and jaqen like this.
  8. TheLateAdmiralPiett

TheLateAdmiralPiett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 1, 2004
    I think something you're all missing is that, no matter how many people love someone, the one closest to them always hurts the most and needs the most time to grieve. Remember, Chewie was in Han's life years before they met Leia, and was his constant companion after he and Leia became estranged.

I think it made sense because Chewie didn't want to be around anyone at that moment.

yodarulzall, IamZam, Sarge and 14 others like this.
  9. Urbecrisch

Urbecrisch Jedi Youngling

Dec 18, 2015
  10. Urbecrisch

Urbecrisch Jedi Youngling

Dec 18, 2015
    Thank god others are noticing this. I can't believe one of the biggest heroes and beloved characters in the saga was not honored at the end. Maybe Harrison Ford made it clear not to pay homage to his character but Chewie just walking past Leia seemed wrong, yet she consoles Rey who she just met hours ago???

11. Zev.Love.X

Zev.Love.X Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 13, 2015
    I'm fine with Chewie needing some alone time but if they could have devoted even a couple of additional shots and a couple lines of dialogue to the issue it would have made a huge difference. If they filmed Leia saying "I don't know how he will cope without him" to a couple of wookies it shouldn't have bee cut.

Bail B. Baobab likes this.
  12. BrahmanBob

Dec 18, 2015
    "It would be nice if you were right because that would mean the filmmakers actually thought about things like that, but judging by how lazy and unispired the story is, I seriously doubt it. Really kind of baffled at all the talk of JJ Abrams being such a 'fan' of Star Wars. If I didn't know better, I'd think this film was made by someone with little previous connection to the series."

A friend and I had a talk about the actual story and how much it felt like it was almost a remake and not really a continuation. After both of us attacking and defending this position, we came to the conclusion that in order to bring back the kids/happiness in us that grew up with the wars and also turn the next generation into fans that can appreciate the originals the way they should, there had to be just enough homage intertwined with new characters so it does feel like the new flicks are connected to the originals(unlike some other movies I'd rather not discuss)...and with that in mind, I feel this is going to be a good jumping off point for the VIII & IX(and hopefully all the other movies) to really be something that gives all fans, old and new some really good stories...But, then again, I'm a cubs fan, so no matter what the season ends like, I'm always looking at next year as positively as I can d:- )

13. Purple Ren

Purple Ren Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 18, 2015

That, and I think the Leia/Rey embrace was more important at that point in the movie. It signified the two Skywalker women embracing, when the previous trilogy was all about Luke/Anakin(Vader), as well as Leia sending her niece on a mission to find her father, Luke.

Enkei and TheLateAdmiralPiett like this.
  14. Steampunk Jedi

Steampunk Jedi Jedi Youngling

Dec 18, 2015
    I've only seen the movie once so far, so I may have missed something. Please tell me I'm wrong.

I agree that that moment with Leia should have been Chewie's moment.

What's worse, though, is that Leia embraced Rey, whom she had never met! Rey was captured in the assault before Leia's ship landed. Leia and Rey might have heard of each other through Han, but they never met face-to-face until that moment. So, there was no reason for them to recognize each other, let alone bond over a shared loss.

One possible explanation is that Leia was originally supposed to land before Rey was captured and meet her in person. The clip from the trailer showing Maz handing Leia the lightsaber would support this idea. (It might also explain the new scene where Maz hands the lightsaber to Finn - Han should have taken it, but I digress). Anyway, by making Leia arrive after Rey's capture, they had to reshoot the scene with Maz, and inadvertently create the problem with the Leia/Rey scene later.

If you want a story-based explanation - perhaps Leia recognizes Rey as either her daughter or Luke's daughter and embraces her. Still doesn't explain dissing Chewie, though. :-(

So, can anyone please point out where I've got this wrong? It's really been bothering me.

Prisic Duskleap and Valairy Scot like this.
  15. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003

I can't explain the dissing Chewie part, except that Chewie might have just wanted to be alone. As for the Rey part:

Yes, it's very odd that Leia appears to recognise a girl she has never met before. I don't think Rey was ever meant to meet Leia beforehand - everything indicates she was always captured at Maz's castle.

Here's my take:

Something has happened here that the audience is not privy to. Rey has been "awakening" - when she touched the saber, when she was being interrogated by Kylo, when she mind tricked the trooper and when she fought Kylo in the snow - and the part we don't see is that her memories are returning. She knows she's Luke's daughter. Honestly I think she knew it when Maz basically spells it out to her ("that was luke's lightsaber, it was his father's before him, and now it calls to you..."; I mean, come on).

And Leia knows it because she senses it immediately in the Force. She senses her brother's presence. This is exactly why, from a structural perspective, I don't think Rey was ever meant to meet Leia beforehand...because Leia would have had this exact realisation upon meeting her, and that would have come too early in the story.

So basically Rey steps off the ship, she sees her father's famous sister standing there, Leia sees her niece, they embrace, and then off-camera they break down everything. Leia dispatches Rey to see Luke, and again, there's a good reason that Rey and Luke don't speak, because Rey's first words are probably going to be along the lines of "why did you leave me?", and the filmmakers want to save confirmation for Episode VIII.

16. Jedi_Lantern

Jedi_Lantern Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 3, 2013
    Yeah, that shot where they just walk past each other was really weird to me

Krueger likes this.
  17. McLaren

McLaren Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 1, 2002
    Chewbacca is shown time and again to be an incredibly empathetic character. Same with Leia. No matter what differences of opinion they may have, to not have them at least hug is completely unconscionable to the point of being spiteful. The only rationale I can come up with is that is what shot as a "passing of the baton" scene. But, that's still no reason why Rey could not have gotten her hug and Chewie an even bigger one.

J_Girl, Yanksfan, jaqen and 2 others like this.
  18. Scruffy nerf

Scruffy nerf Jedi Master star 3

Jul 11, 2015
    It was a muddy situation. The necessary key moment of the scene was supposed to be Leia and Rey. Probably the best solution would have been Chewbacca being in the back ground but by their side, head bowed.

One of my favorite moments though was Leia hugging Chewie. These are the moments when the magic was working for me.

Sarge, jaqen, TheOneX_Eleazar and 2 others like this.
  19. entourage

entourage Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 18, 2014

Simple: It was a badly written part of the film. It's really unbelievable and a shock to me how the writers treated this situation.

Force22 likes this.
  20. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    I also thought it was odd. But I guess they couldn't have Leia console both Chewie and Rey, so they went with the latter. Which doesn't really make much sense. A minor quibble though really.

21. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    Does everything need to be shown? Or can we just assume some things and leave it at that?

22. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Some people prefer to grieve privately. Just because we didn't see them grieve together doesn't mean it didn't happen off-screen. Leia embraced Rey because she knew Chewie wouldn't be so open about it before strangers.

I figure now that Han is gone, anyone who tries to harm Leia will be in big trouble. Chewie will literally tear them apart.

IamZam likes this.
  23. Dareth

Dareth Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2015
    With everything they cut I bet this movie could have been close to 4 hours long. And I for one would have been fine with that, but most people don't want anything longer than 2-21/2 hours long. I can't wait for the dvd and the all the extra shots we didn't seen.

24. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    my take is chewie subconsciously blames leia for han dying so is cold with her. I expect him to save her life in one of the next two movies

Sarge and Prisic Duskleap like this.
  25. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    hy·per·bo·le
    hīˈpərbəlē/
    noun
    noun: hyperbole; plural noun: hyperboles
    exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.
    synonyms: exaggeration, overstatement, magnification, embroidery, embellishment, excess, overkill, rhetoric;

Sarge likes this.