main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Chewie vs. Jar Jar

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Argagax, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Andy Wylde

Andy Wylde Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2014
    No Ewok Poet, as Cryogenic pointed out you are definitely not alone. I always said Jar Jar is the Don Knotts of the SW universe. And I think that correlation I made seems to fit like a glove as far as I can see.

Cryogenic and Ewok Poet like this.
  2. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Agree wholeheartedly, much as I love Chewbacca

Jar Jar serves as an important "bridge" character and a strong symbol of the deeper themes of SW/TPM and is an important plot device in AOTC. Chewbaccca is kind of just there to fill in the idea for an alien sidekick which wanted to be kept after turning Han into a human

As often as people say he's annoying though, I really only find him annoying around the end of TESB. Almost ruins the "I know" scene for me when he won't just shut the frig up

The fact that they misspell "Wookiee" speaks miles about whoever wrote this

Oh, and fairly certain I and many others have mastered potty training. And ABC's and counting to 10. Any other absurdly high milestone accomplishments you want to dish out while I'm listing these off?

3. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    I do wonder, sometimes, if there really isn't a bit of a double-standard occurring in fan perception between Jar Jar and Threepio.

Threepio certainly manages to interrupt and interfere with the tension of that scene, IMO.

We've got a hellish ennvironment, the drama and the sadism of Han descending into a murky depth, Vader leering over the edge of the pit, the music, the emotion, Han slamming to the ground, a cold block, entombed, possibly dead, the heroes disarmed and at the mercy of the Empire like never before; and then...

"Oh, they've encased him in carbonite. He should be quite well-protected."

*facepalm!*

Thus explaining, with immediate effect, that Han should be absolutely fine, provided "he survived the freezing process"; which we find out, about two seconds later, he did.

I think Threepio's Greek chorus commentating is probably designed, first and foremost, to take some of the sting out of that scene and reassure the kiddies. "It's alright, folks. We wouldn't subject you to all of this and have Han actually die or anything. See? He'll be okay. It's like when Artoo got blowed up real good at the end of the last movie. We made sure to tell you he wasn't dead and then we had him fixed up like new, didn't we?"

And some people say that Jar Jar is when Lucas started appealing to children. Seriously!!!

4. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014

Didn't even notice the potty training bit, but now that you pointed it out...whoa, our friend is precisely the kind of a person I mentioned in the first post I made in this thread. Not cool. Also, they know nothing about writing, arts, symbols etc.

5. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Just because one doesn't mention symbolism every post doesn't equal not seeing or knowing anything about it. Nor does someone differing from you warrant implying they're babyish or whatever.

6. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I am not sure what you are trying to say, as my post was merely addressing a common stereotype user of every single science fiction community, and you're most certainly not one of those. The post Seagoat quoted and that I responded to was immature, not allowing for different opinions and borderline offensive.

7. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I've always hated 3PO, even as a small child, and was surprised to learn that he has been well-received by Star Wars fans.

Yeah, I'm definitely in the minority and my hate for 3PO doesn't disprove any notions of double standards among Star Wars fans, but here's one person saying "well, I don't like 3PO either and never did", for what little that's worth.

As for the OP. (just going through the motions for the record here, feel free to ignore, because the following isn't saying much, certainly nothing worth reading)

I'm not spending ten minutes watching that video, there's little point imo, I don't have to respond to any of it, it's not actually all that relevant, it's just someone's opinion. So I'm not going to address the points raised in the video. The points credited to the video ITT aren't particularly relevant to me and aren't worth responding to, so if they're typical of what's said in the video, I don't feel the need to watch it. Similarly, I've never seen any of the RLM videos, because I don't care about that guy's opinion enough to listen to him for 45 minutes or whatever. So it's not just me not watching this video because it defends Jar Jar, I didn't watch those videos that criticized Jar Jar and the PT, either.

Obviously I like Chewie much more than Jar Jar, and I never found Chewie annoying. I agree with him just sorta being there, though. He's not really all that important, and I never thought he was. I don't really see that as a criticism though, characters don't have to be important. I don't think Jar Jar is important, either.

Any love I have for Chewie is probably based more on the EU than the movies, though what I love about him in the EU is there in the movies, too.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  8. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Now that's a little unfair. There's no need to react to being insulted with an insult implying that they're inept with such things. Not everyone is into interpreting symbolism and just see SW as fun movies; despite feeling the former sentiment, I have no qualms with people like lovelikewinter. Just wish he hadn't been so condescending with that post. Or a good deal of others (nah but srsly llw, you have some pretty cool vibes, not sure why but you do :p)

9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Just the quotes provided by the TS were enough to keep me from watching the video. The word "haters" and the accusation of "double standards" demonstrated that it was not about comparing Chewbacca and Jar-Jar but about pitting fans against each other and trashing a group of them.

I don't hate Jar-Jar. I found him annoying in a few scenes but definitely not enough to warrant the crap he or Ahmed Best get. He's an idealist and people-pleaser to a fault. Which is probably the point.

I never had a strong opinion of Chewbacca in the films; I liked him in relation to/interactions with Han, otherwise I didn't care.

And yeah, 3PO is whiny and annoying as ****. In all six films. The interactions with R2 make his character worth it though.

Darth Chuck Norris likes this.
  10. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Chewie doing a Tarzan in ROTJ was awesome. Or him chasing after Han on the DS.
    Him hugging Luke and all of his stuff with C-3PO in ESB was good as well.
    C-3PO and R2 are awesome together as well.

Did Chewie look in on Han and Leia when they were kissing? C-3PO did but I seem to remember Chewie doing it to.

11. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    Ugh Threepio is consistently annoying unlike Jar Jar and Chewie

Somebody reprogram him already. R2 is annoying too. I'd rather have C3-P0 sound like Creepio
    C3-P0 assassin mode

12. Crystalia

Crystalia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 24, 2013
    .Seagoat said: Not everyone is into interpreting symbolism and just see SW as fun movies;
    -------------------------

this I think applies to me, Star Wars for me is my "switch off of my brain for awhile" movies along with Batman,

I do enough studying during the day to not let it interfere with things I like to watch too,

I can see symbolism sometimes, but I rather talk about it with friends etc.

13. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    That video was absolutely genius. I always felt that there was something not all that great about Chewie. Like he's just sorta there, provides cover fire and repair efforts sure but never really has any hero moments.

14. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Fun movies! I see the symbolism and enjoy it to an extent but prefer to keep it simple. I don't need to over-analyze every frame with a fine tooth comb and tie in everything to every other movie in the series to make the series seem better than it is to enjoy SW. Feels like overkill imo.

15. Crystalia

Crystalia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 24, 2013
    yup agreed with FS :)

to stay on target topic Jar Jar, Chewy, 3PO rules! and all that :p

Force Smuggler likes this.
  16. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Have to agree, it's a little harsh and a bit sweeping to claim that a person with a different opinion -- even one who makes insulting, belittling comments -- knows "nothing" about art, writing, or symbolism.

People notice and gravitate to different things in different measures. I dig the symbolic functions of Jar Jar (or my perceptions thereof), but not everyone does. Some might see different symbolic functions and dislike them. Some might not care for symbolism one way or the other.

There is such a thing as simply wanting to be entertained, too. If a character doesn't do it for you, then a character doesn't do it for you. They're a miss, a failure, or whatever.

For my part, I see Star Wars as an excellent synthesis of art and entertainment, an uncanny blend of symbols and metaphors, and drama and adventure. There's a profound poetic wit to everything, blended to plots and visuals that are rich in side detail and sheer escapism.

And to clear something up: I bashed Threepio above, but with love and respect. I like the character a lot. I just find it a bit galling that, in a wider sense, Threepio is generally loved and seen with affection, while Jar Jar is considered a symptom of everything wrong with the prequels.

I don't think they're so estranged.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  17. Saga Explorer

Saga Explorer Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 14, 2015
    I love them both [:D]

18. Lowly Gungan

Lowly Gungan Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 11, 2022
    I am so late to this, but I would agree that Chewie was quite unreasonable in the game. Still, he is a sympathetic character. I wasn't expecting so much anti-Threepio stuff, but so far as comedy character goes, I would argue Jar Jar by far outdoes him in also having a character arc and really being one of the few characters who feels human—in spite of being an alien hadrosaur-rabbit-frog thing.

Sith Lord 2015 and Watcherwithin like this.