main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chewie

Discussion in 'Literature' started by da_muzzy, Jan 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. da_muzzy

da_muzzy Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 10, 2005
    So, why did they kill off Chewie in Vector Prime or whatever NJO book that was? Chewie was awesome.
    *tear* /cry

2. EwokStromboli

EwokStromboli Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 4, 2004
    Because sometimes the family dog gets hit by the neighbor's car.

Or, if you prefer, the NJO needed to establish a real sense of unease in the reader's mind without killing off Luke, Han, or Leia.

Or, it was just pointless.

Or, it was all of the above.

3. Dante_Glass

Dante_Glass Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2004
    cause its where his character arc would evetualy go, its called a life debt for a reason.

4. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    I call pointless and just plain stupid.

5. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    They killed off Chewie so as to remove this supposed bubble of invulnerability around the major characters. The really sick thing is that they immediately made them "invulnerable" again, so they had to appear to pull it again only to once more do so. The gimmick was to make us feel that anyone could die at any given time. And had major characters from throughtout SW material been killed off, then it would have been more believable.

Is Salvatore to blame for Chewie's death? No, he was part of the firing squad ordered to shot him. Unfourtunately for him, everyone knows who had the loaded rifle rather than one of the ones carrying a blank. Yes he wrote the death scene, and though it saddens me that Chewie had to die, at least Salvatore gave him a very fitting death. A hero saving another's life and then looking death in the eye and defying him to the last. Had any other author been in that unfortunate seat, we might not be able to say the same of them.

6. Dinner_Squadron

Dinner_Squadron Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 16, 2004
    I don't buy the whole "he was under orders" excuse. he could have refused to do it, yet he didn't. Whether it was the right move or not, he knew what he was getting himself into.

And personally I think that he should have come up with a saner finalie for him than getting hit by a moon. I mean, a freakin' moon?

7. 7-7-7

7-7-7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 15, 2002
    Sure he could have refused, and then he would have lost his contract and another writer would have stepped into his place. And if that person refused, then we get another auther, and another, and another, until eventually we end up with someone who couldn't care less about who this "Quebacka" character is and what his relationship to "Shawn" Solo or Solo's wife "Lena" is, and would have no problem killing him off.

8. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Last I checked he was just a make believe character. :D

And it took a moon to stop him. That comic page was :cool:

9. Kwenn

Kwenn Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2001
    "I don't buy the whole "he was under orders" excuse. he could have refused to do it, yet he didn't. Whether it was the right move or not, he knew what he was getting himself into"

Somehow, I do not believe R.A Salvatore knew quite what he had gotten himself into when he received a number of death threats from obesssive fans shortly after the passing of a close friend. He should never have had to endure such behaviour.

Besides, major characters die in the films all the time, but did anyone threaten to kill George Lucas when Qui-Gon Jinn was stabbed, or when Darth Vader died?

Chewbacca is a character. Star Wars is fantasy. As much of a fan as I am, I'm not about to cry over the death of a fictional character, as poigniant as it was.

10. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    Gimme a break, I will miss Chewie but what real role had he had in the EU since Balck Fleet Crises. He was nothing more than a pet. His death was at the appropriate time and in the best way possible.

11. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    but what real role had he had in the EU since Balck Fleet Crises.

What real role had he had prior to that? In the movies or the novels? He was always more of a friend and a bit of muscle to protect folks. BFC was really the first place where Chewie actually got to have a different role from that. And that is one of the few good things to say about BFC.

12. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    The death threats to Mr. Salvatore were absolutely ridiculous. Not even I was that mad about Chewie's passing. Some people really, really need to get their freakin' priorities straight.

Still, I hated the fact that in canon, my 2nd favorite character's dead. He should've gone out Ganner style, ripping off a scarhead's arm and beating dozens of the freaks to death with it, finally ending in a huge dogpile.

And in the end, you learn that it's Chewie, not some stinkin' Jedi who got introduced in one book and got offed in that dumb Traitor, that gets deified.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.