main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chicago Cubs

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by Strilo , Nov 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    [image=http://homepage.mac.com/strilo/misc/cubs.jpg]

They are a legacy team in the MLB. They are world famous. Along with the Yankees and the Red Sox, they were the only baseball team with merchandise I saw people wear in Europe. Some say they are cursed, others not. Many love them, many do not. They are my favorite team in Major League Baseball. They will always be, no matter if they win or lose. They are the Chicago Cubs. No Sports forum would be complete without a discussion thread for this time. So let's get it started.

2. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    Drac39, will like this thread.

As they always say "There's always next year." :p

3. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Yes I knew Mike would be one of the regulars in this thread.

4. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    i feel obligated to make the rival thread :p

So do you think the cubs will do better this year with a new manager?

5. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Hard to say. I do like Lou a lot. I have hopes for sure.

6. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    I'd like to get to a game in Wrigley some time, but I don't know when.

7. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    I've been to 2 Cubs games before. One when I was really young and then during April or so of my Junior or Senior year in H.S.(Can't remember which) I went with my brother. we were in the outfield bleacher seats. great time. fans are very lively... and drunk there

8. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    That's something else about the Cubs. Wrigley Field is one of the legendary fields in baseball.

9. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    even though I'm a White Sox fan, i'll admit that Cubs fans are better than most White Sox fans

10. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
  11. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    i'll probably get crucified for that statement

12. MasterP

MasterP Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jun 8, 2003
    Well Wirgley usually gets more people at their games than we do. [face_frustrated]

13. Jedi_Master_Conor

May 24, 2005
    yeah. those bums. how bout that White Sox thread MasterP? or do I have to do the honor myself?

14. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Do you know what would be totally awesome? If I could get some Cubs fans posting in the Cubs thread..... ;) :D

15. imperial_dork

imperial_dork Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2003
    *waves*

I'm more of a casual fan, but I still have my Mark Grace jersey. :p

16. Jedi_Mark

Jedi_Mark Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 11, 2004
    Even if the Cubs get Soriano, Zito, and Schmidt I will have a difficult time being a fan again.
    None of these will happen though you heard it here first.

I will wait until the Tribuine sells...

17. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    Born and raised a Cubs fan, yet another thing to blame my parents for. [face_plain] ;)

Been to Wrigley Field several times for games and there's just this incredible feeling being in the ballpark I haven't gotten from other places. I've been to the old Busch Stadium as a kid and was at the new Busch Stadium this year (Cubs won in 14 innings) as well as the Colorado Rockies' field. None of them quite match up. Maybe it's my favoritism and nostalgia.

Maybe it's singing the seventh inning stretch with Harry Carey when he's three sheets to the wind. Who knows. ;)

All I do know is that when somebody wants to bring a goat into the ballpark you say 'Yes!'

18. imperial_dork

Aug 11, 2003
    I've been to Chicago 4 times and have never been able to catch the Cubbies at home. :( Though, I did see them play the Sox at Comiskey in 1997.

19. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I agree that the Tribune needs to sell to someone who cares about baseball and the game and the Cubs. But I am a fan and that means I am a fan forever. I've been a Cubs fan since I was like 3 and I don't stop rooting for my team just because they are losing. I am a fan no matter what. :)

Good to know yer a fan Herman! I can sorta blame my mom for the same thing. I've only seen them play in Seattle. Someday I will see them play at Wrigley. I have to be the only Cubs fan who cannot stand Harry Carey. I mean I respect him. But he said some of the dumbest things... and I don't need to know what people's names would be backwards. I was a fan of Thom Brennamen and Steve Stone.

20. imperial_dork

Aug 11, 2003
    Amen! Those two had the best on-air banter. I loved Harry, but sometimes I couldn't wait for him to get back on the radio. :p

21. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    That is exactly me, my mom, my dad ... funny.

22. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I was at the Dodger game in April in which Derek Lee collided with Rafael Furcal. :p

23. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999

For the last 5-10 years of his career, Harry was basically this doddering old man who, despite how behind the game he was, you almost couldn't help but love the guy. He had great presence and personality, something a lot of announcers lack - like Chip Carey. :p

It was always fun to watch Steve Stone try and keep Harry centered during the last three innings when it was obvious Harry had enjoyed a little too much Budweiser during the middle innings.

24. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Oh for sure he had character and charisma that many commentators lack.

25. Shackleton

Shackleton Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2004
    This is definitely the spot for me. I grew up only 1 mile south of Wrigley Field so my entire family is devoted Cubs fans (for his HS graduation, my parents got my brother a signed jersey of Ernie Banks). Even though I hail from western New York now, being a Cubs fan will never die out.

I definitely have a lot of fun memories of Wrigley Field. These include going there with my third grade class to see a game as well as being there and hearing Ozzy Ozbourne's "attempt" (if you even want to classify it as one :p) of singing Take Me Out To The Ballgame.

EDIT: One other memory that I have is of a clinic that the team put on a long time ago that let kids run around on the field, pose for pictures on the pitchers mound/home plate as well as walking up and down the dugouts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.