Chicago Cubs

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by Strilo, Nov 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darthkat76 Force Ghost

star 4
    Are you ****ing kidding me? We could have ended the second inning without the dodgers scoring(the inning that the dodgers went up 5-0) if Theriot, DeRosa, and Lee hadn't ****ed up on those plays! It's not Zambrano's fault that they were fielding like ****ing minor leaguers. I think this game would have been completely different if they hadn't scored in the 2nd. And what I'd like to know is what the **** Lou was thinking when he let Fukudome stay in and let Ward pinch hit in the 9th. Put in Johnson, put in Fontenot. ****, Fontenot alone is probably hitting better than Fuku and Ward combined!!!
  2. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Darthkat is totally right. Zambrano did an outstanding job. He deserved a standing ovation especially for the fact that he did not let the little league defense behind him cause a total meltdown. White he might not have pitched brilliantly, he pitched solidly. The blame for the atrocious performance last night was solidly on Cubs batters swinging at the worst **** they possibly could have and on the absolutely ridiculous little league defense by the infield. Lee, Derosa, Theriot and Ramirez all made huge errors. They were embarrassing to watch. They lost that game. Teams that look that awful do not deserve to even go to the playoffs, let alone win. Also I agree that Lou was smoking crack when he lets Fukudome hit and brings in Ward to pinch. There are bats up and down the Cubs roster that are far superior to both of them. Really, Zambrano was the only player out there last night (or manager) that didn't make me feel utterly ashamed and embarrassed to be a Cubs fan.
  3. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    This is my first post in the Arena ever. As much as I'm not a Sox fan and didn't exactly expect them to win yesterday, at least they made a game of it. This was such a Chicago baseball moment: an epic, definitional example of the word choke.
  4. ObiWan506 Former Head Admin

star 7
    Honestly, I really feel for you guys. I'm so sorry.
  5. Darthkat76 Force Ghost

star 4
    Thanks man. Sometimes it sucks to be a Cubs fan. [face_beatup]
  6. Darthkat76 Force Ghost

star 4
    Oh and btw, I saw somewhere that out of the 7 runs during Z's innings, only 3 of them were earned. The other 4 were thanks to our little league defense.
  7. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    No, only two of them were earned. This loss was squarely on the defense. They made errors that gave up runs.
  8. Darthkat76 Force Ghost

star 4
    Chi Cubs IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA
    Zambrano (L, 0-1) 6.1 6 7 3 2 7 1 4.26

From the Gameday wrapup on cubs.com

EDIT: Ugh, my spacing attempt didn't work. Anyways, it was 3 ER. I don't think they counted Theriot's first bobble when he tried to barehand it in the 2nd.
  9. Onoto Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    baseball-reference.com also has it at 3 ER. Either way, the CUbbies lost because of their D and their O, not because of Z.
  10. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Harden was crap tonight.
  11. Darthkat76 Force Ghost

star 4
    I stopped watching a few minutes ago. I'm depressed enough as it is with this being my first night back (after 3 months) to my crappy Saturday night through Wednesday night work schedule. :_|
  12. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Yeah if the Cubs get swept I think that's it for me as a Cubs fan. I am so far beyond being utterly sick of this crap that I just would rather do something else with my energy.
  13. Darthkat76 Force Ghost

star 4
    I'll always be a Cubs fan.

WARD PINCH HITTING WITH 2 OUTS, WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY???????? AND OMG HE JUST HIT FOR A RBI!!!!!!!
  14. Darthkat76 Force Ghost

star 4
    And DeRo strikes out to end the inning. Bahhhhh, I blame my boss for calling and reminding me about the game even though I had stopped watching.
  15. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Good for you. I hope you enjoy the years of heartbreak and embarrassment you face. I am done with this pathetic display of non-talent.
  16. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Well, it's been 34 ****ed up years, but that's it for this now former Cubs fan. You all have fun.
  17. Darthkat76 Force Ghost

star 4
    :_| *Throws self off bridge*
  18. Onoto Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I am so, so, so, so, so sorry. The sweep is one of the cruelest season-enders in sports.
  19. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    :(

Apparently this year would have been just too storybook.
  20. Django211 Force Ghost

star 4
    The Cubs were beaten in every phase of the game this series. If you watched them over the year you realize how this happened. The mistakes that they consistently made caught up to them. Against teams like the Pirates or Nationals it didn't matter, but against quality opponents it kills. All year they didn't move runners over, had lapses on defense and ignored a lot of fundamental baseball.

Soriano always disappears in post-season, even back when he was on the Yanks. He is also a terrible lead-off hitter with no patience. Derek Lee hit into a ton of double plays all year and showed he wasn't the clutch hitter that he used to be. Howry blew a lot of leads and had he not done so against the Brewers the Cubs would have played the Mets. Although really the results would probably have been the same. Harden pitched well last night but he had no support. If Ramirez blocks the bag, as they teach you since little league, Harden gets out of the inning with no score. Fukodome shouldn't have played in this series at all. He's been on a slump for the past few months. Lou had better options than him & Soriano yet he chose not to use them.

Defense, pitching, hitting & managing, the Cubs were outdone in all ways possible. I think '84 & '03 were worse but those were better teams. This team just hid their faults better over the year, despite having the best record in the NL.
  21. rhonderoo Former Head Admin

star 9
    I was secretly hoping you guys would make it at least to the playoffs... Sorry, you guys. :(
  22. Drac39 Force Ghost

star 6
    I just don't have much to say ab out this, I was more disapointed in 03 but this hurt pretty bad. I've had enough baseball for one year...
  23. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    At this point, I am content to let this thread die until spring.
  24. Darthkat76 Force Ghost

star 4
    Ok, I won't argue about the fact that we were beaten every phase of the game this series. However, did you watch all the games this year or just the last two weeks? "The mistakes that they consistently made caught up to them. All year they didn't move runners over, had lapses on defense and ignored a lot of fundamental baseball."

1.) Best record in the NL
    2.) Most runs scored in the NL, 855
    3.) Most runs per game in the NL, 5.31
    4.) Most RBI's in the NL, 811
    5.) Most walks in the NL, 636
    6.) Highest OBP in the NL, .354
    7.) 2nd highest BA in the NL, .278
    8.) 8th in errors with 99 (still better than 8 other teams)
    9.) Have you seen any of Edmonds, Johnson, Fukudome, and DLee's plays on defense? They looked pretty good to me.
  25. Django211 Force Ghost

star 4
    I suppose I could ask you how much Cubs baseball you watched, but the real question is how much did you understand? Soriano is a lousy lead off hitter when he doesn't jack a first inning HR. Hitting becomes harder in the playoffs & Soriano has never shown patience at the plate. Toss him a strike early & then let him chase bad balls is the scouting report on him. Torre knew this better than anyone. I believe over the past two years he has 2 hits in the post-season. Theriot would have been better in the lead off spot but that would mean having to move Soriano down to at least 6th since he doesn't have the discipline for the 2-5 spots.

They have no power from the left side of the plate outside of Edmonds & he was batting in the low 200s in the latter half of the season. Their other lefty bat, Fukudome, stopped hitting after the all star game. The Cubs have been susceptible to righty pitching, which the Dodgers have & they dominated their power hitters. Derek Lee's power numbers have been steadily declining but he hit well over the series, which is surprising considering how many double plays he hit into over the year. They also never played small ball but got big innings throughout the year with big hits. Typically that kind of offense is unreliable in October.

Ramirez, DeRosa, & Edmonds have limited defensive range but have a knack for making exciting plays. Lee isn't the gold glover he used to be & Soriano has a cannon for an arm but plays balls poorly in the outfield. How often did you see the Cubs miss the cut off man yet still make a play at the plate? It happened during the season but during the playoffs it came back to haunt them. There were many things that the Cubs were able to overcome throughout a long season, but when it really counted they came up short.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.