main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chicago Cubs

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by Strilo , Nov 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Yeah, it did, I just wanted to make sure it was nothing more than that.

2. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    It doesn't surprise me. White Sox fans are the absolute worst in professional sports. I can get along and laugh with a Cardinal fan,and I can talk baseball civilly with a Brewer fan but Sox fans are ignorant and rude. Their anger is downright childish jealousy out of the fact that nobody outside of the South Side of Chicago and Northwest Indiana gives a crap about their team while the Cubs have a national following. They constantly whine about how nobody appreciates their team. I talk to some that say that five White Sox this year deserved All-Star bids. Oh Please! My favorite line that they use is that Cubs fans don't know anything about baseball and just go to Wrigley to drink. I say back that at least Cubs fans are loving fun drunks because I'd hate to run into a drunk overcompensating White Sox fan.

End tirade

3. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    I guess White Sox bashing kills the thread :p

The Cubs are a mere half game behind the DeRosa stealing team playing good baseball against two lousy clubs and at least showing some competitive fire against Philly. Do I care yet? No, but maybe that changes on or before the 31st. Piniella has consistently said he wants a left handed bat and it's obvious that Bradley isn't what he is looking for. I see every reason that the Cubs are buyers this trading deadline, but do they have the assets?

4. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    If they get rid of Bradley I might pay attention.

5. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    The 2009 Milton Bradley led Chicago Cubs are alone in first place despite their best efforts

6. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Not anymore lol.

Anyway I guess somewhere deep down inside me there is a Cubs fan still, cuz I felt dirty walking around Busch Stadium...

7. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    Yeah individual teams come and go. This core isn't that great and I hate Bradley but I will all ways be a Cubs fan. Maybe with the ownership finally straightend out we can make some deals in free agency again because DeRo is a free agent again;)

This offseason I expect both Zambrano and Bradley gone

8. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
  9. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    Thank the Good Lord!

Hendry you have done some pretty bad things as GM. I will not forgive you for trading Maddux, DeRosa or for bringing this clown to Chicago but your stock has gone up. Let's hope this jerkass never plays baseball again.

10. Django211

Django211 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 6, 1999
    Don't be fooled, this is a face saving move that doesn't accomplish anything. The whole mess the Cubs are in is Hendry's fault. He overvalued Bradley from the beginning. Instead of trying to sign Bobby Abreu, Raul Ibanez or even Adam Dunn he had to have Bradley. Hendry kept talking about Bradley producing from the left side which isn't really his strongsuit. Instead of offering him a 1yr deal like all the other clubs Bradley has been on, he gave him 3 with a huge balloon payment at the end. Adding that to the long term huge salaries of Soriano, Zambrano & Fukodome they were then forced to give up Marquis, DeRosa & Wood. Marquis has 15 wins and DeRosa has outplayed Bradley in every facet of the game. Losing Wood meant getting another closer & for some reason Hendry decided to bring in the closer that blew the most saves & gave up the most HRs in baseball last year. Is it any surprise when Gregg did the same thing this year?

Hendry put together back to back central division champs when management gave him a blank check book. That team beat up on weak opponents in the division & couldn't win 1 playoff game in 2 years. With the sale of the Cubs on the horizon he no longer had that freedom and he has put the team in a very bad position for years to come. I can't wait to see him gone and I'm hoping the Ricketts see that as well.

11. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    No I think Hendry is a decent and he has pulled off some decent trades. However I do agree that this is the worst thing he has ever done. I doubt he will be fired though, he has given the Cubs three post season berths which is more than any GM can say since the 30's lol

12. Django211

Mar 6, 1999
    Today's Suntimes has a photo section of this year's failed Hendry's moves.

Quite depressing

13. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    That is like rubbing salt in an open wound. I can't decide which was the worst thing he did but still I think Bradley and DeRosa should be counted as one entity because Hendry needed to get rid of DeRosa so he could afford the clown

14. Django211

Mar 6, 1999
    They also had to dump Wood & Marquis to make room for Bradley's horribly overpriced salary. No one was going to give Bradley a multi-year deal. DeRosa could have filled in for Ramirez after he went down as could have McGehee, both went on to bigger & better. Now Wood probably would have been let go anyway but to bring in Gregg as his replacement was just a terrible idea from the beginning. Remember the Cubs were in first place when Gregg gave up a game winning HR and from that point the Cubs seemed to go into freefall. I can't remember a season where every move was a bad one.

15. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    To be fair I don't think anyone could have forseen Marquis being as awesome as he is this year though. I actually forget the circumstances of McGahee's release from the Cubs. I don't think the Cubs had say in the fact that he went to the Brewers.

16. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    The Cubs declare bankruptcy?

17. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I believe the team itself is fine, and this is a legal move to protect the new owners from people claiming against the Tribune, who are actually bankrupt.

18. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    Yeah this is no surprise. It is merely to smooth the transition to the Rickettsm family

19. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    It still makes me nervous...

20. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    I see your concern but from what has been said this is merely to ease the transition to the Ricketts family. I'm no economic expert but I believe the Tribune would have trouble selling the Cubs if the Cubs hadn't done this.

21. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Maybe this stuff (selling & Bradley gone) will make for a better season next year.

22. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    Or maybe resigning Mark DeRosa;) What is everyone's opinion on MLB's Cubs beatwriter Carrie Muskat? She isn't subtle in the fact that she isn;t a Cubs fan but a puppet of the Cubs PR department.

From Cubs.comWhy is it that Piniella insists the team needs another RBI bat if he's expecting Geovany Soto and Alfonso Soriano to be better next season? What this team could use and use badly is speed and guys who can reach base. I recommend the team try to acquire Tampa Bay's B.J. Upton or Detroit's Curtis Granderson. Their teams are considering trading them, and they can actually play defense. If you look at the teams in the playoffs, you will see fast runners at the top and solid defense up the middle. Wouldn't that be better than going backwards and looking at a Mark DeRosa, like most Cubs fans want?
    -- Alfonzo A., Chicago

You're absolutely right about the need to be solid up the middle. Piniella's two priorities actually are linked together. If Soriano and Soto are healthy and return to form, the manager will have two RBI men who were missing this season. If Aramis Ramirez is healthy and doesn't miss two months, he'd probably drive in 100 runs, which would help fill Piniella's list as well. The Cubs could use someone like Upton or Granderson. We all have wish lists. A lot of the impetus behind the push for DeRosa is because he was a popular guy. DeRosa fans should remember he'll be 35 in February, he'll be coming off a wrist injury and he batted .193 in September.

So I basically flipped out after seeing this and wrote an angry email to her about DeRosa and Bradley and I basically vented all my frustrations about the 2009 Cubs season. I might have used a four letter word too. [face_blush] I feel like a jerk but I don't know. I'll probably be banned from MLB.com

23. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I'd be interested in seeing that letter.... :D

24. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
    I don't have it, and I haven't gotten a response. I think the Cubs need a new beat writer that's for sure. I mean that DeRosa thing is plain and simply insulting his fans. I won't be happy if he resigns in St.Louis and none of those facts will be any consulation for me.

Cubs sign Texas Rangers Jaramillo to be Hitting Coach

I gotta say the importance of a hitting coach can really be debated. I think like a pitching coach he is more ment to be a mental anchor for the hitters. This is encouraging though as he is probably the best hitting coach in the game. I hope his past experience with Soriano can help lessen these mammoth slumps he gets himself into.

25. Drac39

Jul 9, 2002
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.