main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MN Chicago Road Trip

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by jfren484, May 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jfren484

jfren484 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 21, 2001
    At the meeting on Saturday we talked about doing a road trip to Chicago to see AotC in the digital theater there. It had been discussed in one of older threads before that, too.

I don't want to be the organizer on this one (the midnight showing is enough for me), but I wanted to get people thinking about it and talking about it.

My wife Alison (afren756) is pregnant and due July 31st, so we'd want to go as soon as possible (like maybe the first or second weekend in June). We couldn't fully commit to going, either, as the baby could come early or the doctor could tell Alison to stay close to home. But we want to tentatively plan to go.

2. Bobafemme

Bobafemme FF Jedi Council Member, Chicago IL RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 25, 2000
    I would be able to go June 12-17 or the weekend after, which may be too late for the frens. I am doing wedding stuff the first weekend and will be unavailable the following.

If we go June 15 weekend, I'll already be in Chicag and can meet you all there.

For those who want to go, when is the best time for you? I assume if we wait too long, it might not be digitally projected.

3. jfren484

jfren484 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 21, 2001
    June 15th may not be too late, I don't know. Don't have us be the determining factor, though. It's possible May 25th could be too late! You guys just plan it, and if the doctor says we can come we will.

4. JediGseif

JediGseif Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 2002
    I'm definitely going whenever it is. I think the weekend of June 15, works out great. I also have a friend or two who also would be up for going with us. I also like the idea of being able to buy tickets before we leave. We won't have to worry about a sell out. Of course everyone is going to have there own schedules, but I'd be leaving on a Friday, see it on Saturday, and return on Sunday. Kind of make a whole weekend out of it. The question I have is would we want to see a matinee, and enjoy the city of Chicago in the evening, or would it be easier for everyone if we saw it in the evening? There are all sorts of possibilies. :D

5. MaraJadeSkywalkerFF

MaraJadeSkywalkerFF Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    June 15th would work out for me. I'm not available the weekend before or after, but I am available that weekend.

I'll have to see if I can swing it cost-wise, as I just got back from Celebration and will be saving for CONvergence the following month. So I can only commit to a maybe for now... but if I determine I have the budget for it, then I will be up for it!

6. MaraJadeSkywalkerFF

MaraJadeSkywalkerFF Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    We could also try to see if any members of Chicago Force are interested in this outing, maybe plan a dinner afterwards so we have a chance to socialize.

Once we get more of an idea what the plans are, I could talk with Phil/Mos_Eisleian_Radio, Matt/DarthAstuart or Dave/Bosh_Talk about it. Knowing Phil... I'm sure he'll see this thread shortly and be all over it! ;)

7. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Mos_Eisleian_Radio Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    If you guys can make it out, we definitely have to get together. As it happens, Shara and Jedigal have been talking about making the journey to Chicago to see AOTC in digital projection as well. At Celebration, I remember thinking it would be neat if we could all see it together.

Phil

8. kenobi420

kenobi420 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 12, 2002
    I am definitely all for going to Chicago, and the June 15th weekend will work for me. Any weekend before then is also good for me, but obviously not everyone can do that. Anyway, I'm hereby officially volunteering my car as transport for up to four other people (three would be better, though) no matter what date we pick. There ya' have it.

9. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    I'd love to do this, but as I'm currently unemployed, I really can't afford it... and if I do get a job, I don't want to immediately be asking for time off. :(

Plus there is a digital theater in the Phoenix area, so I'm hoping on my trip there I will be able to go to it. :D

~*~Bria

10. Salacious_Crummy

Salacious_Crummy Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2000
    I have a nagging feeling I already scheduled something around that time, but I cannot think of it. Damn, I need to get better organized.

But tentatively, that'll work for me. :D

11. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    Just give us a heads up when you decide on a date, and we'll set something up. BTW, do you know which theater you are aiming for, there are three in the area that have digital. There is of course, the one downtown at the McClurg Court Theater, but there are also digital systems at the Streets at Woodfield (Schaumburg) and a theater in Skokie (just nw of Chicago).

Either way, it will be great to see all of you come down, we can chat about Convergence. ;).

~Heather~

12. Vader2000

Vader2000 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 14, 1999
    Some of you already know this, but I'll be undergoing and recovering from jaw surgery during the first three weeks of June, so I can't attend. I might try to head there sometime in late July, though, assuming it's still playing.

13. Serona

Serona Jedi Youngling star 1

May 7, 2002
  14. Elensara

Elensara Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    (My 1st post--Woo!)
    Hey all, Sara here. I met some of you last Sat. at the meeting...just wanted to take Zak up on that ride offer. I definitely think we should get together w/Chicago Force and try to get the largest group together we can to see the movie there. June 15th weekend shoud be fine for me, as I'm all done w/school then.

15. Master_Eki

Master_Eki Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 27, 2000
    I won't be able to attend the June 15th outing. I hope that I'll be able to see it on a digital screen sometime this summer, but if not..I'll wait until it comes out in November on DVD, where it will actually be better quality than on the film screen, as there won't be a film to digital conversion..we will see it exactly as it came out of the camera!

Mike

16. Bobafemme

Bobafemme FF Jedi Council Member, Chicago IL RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 25, 2000
    I thought it was filmed in digital so those issues of transfer don't exist. I don't know.

Anyway, I posted in Chicago to see if that weekend works for any of them. Note that the Sunday is Father's Day.

17. Salacious_Crummy

Salacious_Crummy Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2000
    Femme, you're correct. There are no transfer issues, because the only time it was put on film was for most of the theatrical prints. It was filmed digitally and all of the effects were done digitally and the master copy of the film is digital. That's why there are no transfer issues.

18. Tenn

Tenn Jedi Youngling

May 4, 2002
    Does everyone realize the weekend of the 15th is Fathers Day?

We would love to go to Chicago but can't go that weekend, but if the date changes we will try to go.

19. que4zone

que4zone Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 7, 2002
    Ello MNForce,

I thought I'd drop a line and say that the Wisconsin FanForce will be going to the Loews Streets of Woodfield Theater (I think?) on June 15th.. Have you decided what theater you're going to yet?

~Que

20. Bobafemme

Nov 25, 2000
    Not yet, Mos Eislian Radio suggested McClurg--are you all set on Woodfield?

For Minnesota people:

We should pick the date for sure by Tuesday or so. We don't want to be too last minute, especially if we are trying to meet CF people (and Milwookiee).

21. darthgoat

darthgoat Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    i'll go to chicago.

oh wait...erm...i think i got lost.

22. Amber_eyes

Amber_eyes Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 22, 2001
    Those suburbs will do that to you, my commander.
    And speaking of suburbs, even tho I am a Chicagoan, I have to say that for people driving Woodfield has much better parking.
    McClurg Court theater is very cool, but I found out fast it's obscenely expensive to park around there.

23. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    Not to mention difficult to find if you are not familiar with downtown Chicago. Although I hate to admit it, but I would actually suggest Schaumburg (Streets at Woodfield Mall) as the theater of choice.

It's quite a haul from MN - are some of you planning on crashing in a hotel?

24. BobaBen

BobaBen Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2002
    Jay
    I know your not orgnizing this trip but i have a couple of questions

1. Wouuld we all car pool down there or would people find their own rides . I know some people have voulenteerd. But just in case a lot of people wanted to go

2. Would we stay at in Chi-Town or go back to Mineasota after the movie

Thats all i can think of for right now
    Ben

25. YarnasFifthBreast

YarnasFifthBreast Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2001
    If you are going to the movie Sunday, we should talk about it then. It's 7.5 to 8 hours if you drive 70-ish and stop twice for potty breaks. I doubt there's any way to do the trip in one day. The time of the movie would influence what is a better day to stay the night. Carpooling is organized by individuals, not MN F as a group. Obviously, these boads are the best way to figure it out or our meetings.
    So far, Zak (Obi-wan420) is the only car volunteer. I can't (I'm flying). At this point, I really only know of two for sures.

Bobafemme

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.