main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chicagoland Entertainment Collectors Expo

Discussion in 'Archive: Milwaukee, WI' started by JediRacer8, Aug 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediRacer8

JediRacer8 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 26, 2004
    When we were at WWC, we were approached by an exhibitor that gave us some information on a con that he does in September along with some 1-day passes. It sounded like he would like to get some people in costume to come, and is having a costume contest. We're planning on going and wanted to post the information for anyone who might want to go as well. Here are the dates/times:

September 16 - 2pm - 7:30pm
    September 17 - 10:30am - 6pm
    September 18 - 9am - 3pm

Admission: $9 Daily / $25 for 3 days

At the Wyndham NOrthwest Chicago Hotel
    400 Park Blvd (Thorndale E of Rt 53)
    Itasca, IL (20 min from O'Hare)

FREE PARKING

Here are some of the people he has slated to appear:

Kenny Baker
    Peter Mayhew
    Mary Oroyo
    Nalini Krishan
    Orli Shoshan
    Richard Kiel - Jaws from James Bond
    Maud Adams - Octopussy (Octopussy)
    Lana Wood - Plenty O'Toole (Diamonds Are Forever)
    Cindy Morgan - Yori (TRON) / Lacey Underall (Caddyshack)
    Larry Thomas - Soup Nazi (Seinfeld)
    Robia LaMorte - Jenny Calendar (Buffy)
    Robin Curtis - Lt. Saavik (Star Trek III/IV)

There are others listed on the card as well.

Their website is www.nonsportcardexpo.com.

2. CaptMereel

CaptMereel Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 11, 2002
    I would be interested in going on Saturday 9/17 (in costume). I also think we should support this Expo since he's bringing in SW actors.

3. Forcebewitya

Forcebewitya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 7, 2002
    I am planning on going down for one day probably saturday.

Forcebewitya!

4. JediRacer8

Feb 26, 2004
    This will be the first con I plan on passing out our Milwookiee cards at. We had talked about promoting ourselves as a costuming group as well, so would anyone object if I added a note on the back of the card to that effect? I was thinking of writing something like "We are available to costume for your events!" and then put my name and personal email address. I've seen other people add personal notes on the backs of cards before so I don't feel weird doing it.

5. CaptMereel

Apr 11, 2002
    Hey, Sara, have you and Shawn realized yet that you don't have your stack of Milwookiee cards? I gave them to Shawn but, after the two of you left Saturday, I found them still sitting on the coffee table. C'est la vie. I'll bring them along to the Expo or, if you want time to put a note on the backs, I can mail them up to you. Let me know.

I have no problem with you adding a note like that to the back of the cards.

6. JediRacer8

Feb 26, 2004
    I guess I figured Shawn had them somewhere LOL Shows how observant I am. If it wouldn't cost too much to mail them up go ahead and I'll pay you back for postage at the Expo, otherwise I'll just pass them out without a note on the back.

7. JediRacer8

Feb 26, 2004
    I've got my pictures uploaded but several of them, including the group shot with the SW guests, are too dark to see anything :( Hopefully someone else got a better copy.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jedicallista/album?.dir=693c&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jedicallista/my_photos

8. CaptMereel

Apr 11, 2002
    Here are my pics from Saturday. They look much brighter on my home PC than at work so the group photos with the SW guests are much better.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/captmereel/album?.dir=65b2&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

I keep thinking back to Sala and Lawrence being so friendly and happy-go-lucky and watching Ray and Daniel spar and realize I totally enjoyed that convention (the poorly run costume contest aside) more than C3 in some ways. And hanging out with the 501st was fun as well.

Besides the group pics with the SW Guests and other obvious favorites, I also like the picture of us in front of the brick mural...reminds me a little of the Sith mural in Palpatine's office.

9. JediRacer8

Feb 26, 2004
    I liked how the smaller con appeared to make the guests feel comfortable mingling with the crowds. Look how often they were in the aisles taking pictures and chatting with convention-goers, or stopping to say hi to people in the hotel hallways (or as we more commonly saw, en route to the restroom). Even after the group photo was finished, a few of them remained in the area talking with everyone. Compare that to waiting in lines for just a quick autograph at cons like C3 and WW, and this wins hands down. I think we all agree the costume contest needs to be organized though and made into a real contest.

That photo of us in front of the brick wall looks great with the natural lighting/shadow effects. It seems very 80s somehow ;) One of these times I have to remember to have someone get a good shot of Shawn and I.

10. CaptMereel

Apr 11, 2002
    I agree about the overall relaxed atmosphere and the guests freely mingling with the attendees. I would have loved to stay the night and party with them - I hear Lawrence and Sala were great fun Friday night in the bar.

I will definitely support this convention next year and, perhaps, just perhaps, offer to organize/run the costume contest for Paul. Any helpers???

I hear you about needing good shots of you and Shawn. Somehow I never get good pictures of myself either and regret not taking individual pictures of everyone in front of that brick mural. I have ideas for some photos and my friend Dan is looking for places in Madison with a retro/futuristic look to use for a Star Wars-ish background.

11. JediRacer8

Feb 26, 2004
    Of course it would mean we can't compete ourselves but I do think he needs someone experienced with costuming to organize it. I know he wants the costumers there to attract another niche of the market and to provide atmosphere for the attendees, and having a real contest would bring more of them in. Also more costumers = more possible volunteers for his convention. If word of a good costume contest got out there may be more attendees from the 501st and RL. I will volunteer next year, and only didn't this year because I think he wanted 501st and Sandtroopers volunteers and I didn't have my official 501st approval until the day before the con.

Even if there aren't a lot of costumed participants next year, there could still be specific awards like Best in Show, Best Props/Armor, Best Soft Material Costume, etc.

12. Forcebewitya

Forcebewitya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 7, 2002
    I will definitely support this convention next year and, perhaps, just perhaps, offer to organize/run the costume contest for Paul. Any helpers???

I'd be willing to help out, I mean I was going to say I have no experience judging a cosutme contest however, I think from just beig in a couple I could have done a better job than that. So yeah I'd be willing to do that, so long as I could still wear my costume :)

Forcebewitya.

13. CaptMereel

Apr 11, 2002
    Thanks, Brent! And, yes, if I decide to do this, you can certainly wear your costume because I will be wearing mine!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.