main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Chief of State Daala

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JABoomer, Oct 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Cloak of Deception managed it. I mean, really, "the Republic is trying to tax our trade routes and we're a giant trade federation so we're blockading a planet to make a point" is not going to kill anyone. It lacks the arresting energy of naked women on cocaine swordfighting bears aboard jet-skis, but it's not the eighteen hours of watching paint dry people act like. It's what, maybe four scenes total of generic political commentary and electoral action? It's not drama kryptonite. Nobody's going to keel over and go into a boredom coma because they had to hear the words "taxation of trade routes" once in a film, come on. The whining over OH NO POLITICAL SCENES in TPM was childish. There were a lot of problems with the film, but the fact that there was a political dispute and then there was a scene of Valorum getting booted out so Palpatine could get into office was not one of them. You'd think the people complaining had never seen, oh, Star Wars, a film featuring a bunch of officers and politicians sitting around a table discussing the dissolution of the senate and devolution of power to regional governors and the result on galactic stability. No one was ever like, "OH GOD NO NOT POLITICS PLEASE JUST CUT THIS STUPID BORING TARKIN PLOTLINE."

But, no, clearly a trilogy about the downfall of a Galactic Republic and its reformation into an Empire should have included no politics or political disputes! Why, one scene of political lingo between lightsaber fights and the whole audience will fall down dead!

RC-1991, Grey1, Zeta1127 and 11 others like this.
  2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    You know Hav, ever heard the phrase: Less is more? Because you really don't need all that hyperbole, nor the extrapolation to get to what you clearly wanted me to write!

Now, if I look past all that there's a nice set of points buried in your post I'd be inclined to respond to:

Namely that I'd agree Luceno pulled off a blinder with COD but I don't think it'd work as a mainstream SW film due to audience expectations - EU fans may be far more flexible in their outlook, I doubt it's so elsewhere. I doubt people bought COD because they wanted to know more about the tax dispute. The players around it? Oh yes, but the actual thing? I remain sceptical.

I think Lucas severely under-estimated the difficulty of doing a politics story and he failed to use his actors' skills to raise it up - imagine TPM's with an unleashed Terence Stamp and Natalie Portman actually displaying her ability, plus McDiarmuid - would have been electrifying. I don't think you'd find anyone that would disagree the PT has to have a political aspect to it, but it doesn't follow from that that what was supplied should have been it.

Nor, due to the difference in execution in those scenes you cite, would I see much similarity between TPM and ANH. ANH's actors were on a par with TPM but allowed more latitude.

Finally, the idea dislike of TPM's politics = politics should never be used ever? No way! How could I be a fan of the Lucenoverse if that was so?

(Also, you've sparked off an idea for a 1138 article too.)

3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    COS :confused:

4. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Chief of State

5. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Either Chief of State, or in this context, Causer of Strife.

Force Smuggler and Gorefiend like this.
  6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Gracias

Why do we capitalise the of O?

7. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    I don't believe you're supposed to.

8. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    You capitalize the O in COS because it's an acronym. Palpatine ruined the office of Supreme Chancellor the same way that Hitler ruined the toothbrush mustache.

9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    But should it not be CoS? Or just CS?

10. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    CoS would be correct, but for ease of use, COS is a tad faster to type.

11. son_of_skywalker03

Dec 7, 2003
    Words like of, the, and, or, etc are either not included in the acronym, or they're lowercase.

12. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    Most of us to the same for the books so it's whatever. Example? SOTE, Shadows of the Empire,

DigitalMessiah likes this.
  13. son_of_skywalker03

Dec 7, 2003
    AotC
    RotS
    RotJ

At least, that's how I do it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.