main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Child born with HIV apparently cured.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Adam of Nuchtern, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    [​IMG]

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
  3. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    well then, that's settled. i guess there's nothing left to do but wait for the reports of mass charitable donations of ARVs from drug companies to roll in. PRAISE JESUS THE FREE MARKET JESUS? THE FREE MARKET!

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I sure hope God cures this thread.

Darth_Invidious, tom and PRENNTACULAR like this.
  5. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Nice went out the window the second you sided with Ten

The concept of corporate charity gets quite a bit of discussion in corporations class, precisely because of fiduciary duty to shareholders. In the end, the argument is that you should pay out the dividend, let the shareholder decide if he wants to make a donation and, if so,to whom. But from a practical standpoint, winning that kind of derivative suit is very difficult because of the BJR. Especially on a jurisdiction like Delaware or even New York.

And Ten's assertion about going to jail was just flat out wrong, confused criminal law with civil and corporate law.

Sorry for getting snippy, though. Just jealous of the "Smartest JCCer" award.

6. George Roper

George Roper Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    haha

7. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    It's funny because I was fairly certain I heard GrandAdmiralJello mention he was doing Law.

8. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Yes, God has blessed this world by allowing millions of people to die from AIDS and only just now deciding to provide scientists with the knowledge to cure it. Such a loving god! I suppose God wanted this particular child to survive, but is saying "**** you" to everyone else who has suffered from this disease.

9. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    I'll start this by saying that I know people who are involved in some of these programs, they're not sociopaths, they tend to be more granola hippie types who realize that they do share some rather strange bedfellows. I'm not going to deny that much of it is done by the drug companies to get their products out into other countries and get a leg up on the competition which comes from generic drugs, but to say that it isn't going on is, well, how should I put this - talking out of your ***, brah. Yet again. Links are below.

Start on page 2, specifically the part where it mentions Merck donating $50 million and antiretroviral drugs.

Here they are doing it again.

Whaddya know, more of those dastardly drug companies and their sociopathic CEOs sponsoring and donating HIV/AIDS treatments, again...

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Doesn't make me an expert. Far from it, really. I'm perfectly fine conceding that I am not in my element here.

11. Space_Caboose

Space_Caboose Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 14, 2009
    YOU WOULDN'T DOWNLOAD A CURE

12. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Playing devil's advocate (or, as Iello would prefer, Advocatus Diaboli) a bit for the drug companies: Whatever else you want to say about this, it's a pretty astounding accomplishment that, after only three decades of extensive research, a cure for AIDS has possibly been found. Certainly political pressure played a significant role, but a tremendous amount of credit is owed to those dastardly drug companies, who have poured tremendous sums into research. Those investment decisions were made not because of any ideological reasons, but first and foremost because of their profit motive. Does anyone think they'd have invested that money if they didn't expect to make money on it in the future? Would you?

As I told Iello in a pm, he's not really that far off the mark: the fiduciary duty/duty of care to the shareholders is the theoretical argument against corporate charity. My point (aside form that Rogue Ten was clueless with his talk of going to jail) was that, as a practical matter, the business judgment rule makes it incredibly difficult to succeed in a shareholder derivative suit against company management. That said, if you confronted the hypothetical CEO as to why he didn't donate the drugs/technologyas suggested, I could pretty much guarantee you that he would invoke his fiduciary duty to the shareholders.

13. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
  14. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    Uhhh, how do you think we made/make HIV/AIDS again?

I'm used to reading religious shenanigans on here and mostly tune it out now, but I just have to know how you think we made HIV. Like...in a biotech lab somewhere or are you talking the being frisky with chimps myth or are you talking your god hates gay people or what?

15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
  16. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    There are conspiratards who believe that.

timmoishere and Mortimer Snerd like this.
  17. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I suspect that he - like many religious fundamentalists - sincerely believe that AIDS/HIV is "God's" punishment against sinners (or rather, teh gayz), rather than a man-made biological weapon that the scientists that "created" it were unable or unwilling to destroy. Because that makes so much more sense. :confused:

timmoishere likes this.
  18. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
  19. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    My guess is he's going to say we created AIDS by sinning or whatever. Which is bull****. But whatever.

timmoishere likes this.
  20. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    1. No
    2. Yes

21. George Roper

George Roper Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Okay, but would you if you didn't think that it would help you score with Miss Venezuela?

yankee8255 likes this.
  22. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I am to getting laid as corporations are to profit.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  23. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    I knew we shared a special connection.

24. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Maybe God figured that he hadn't punished us enough yet, so in the late 70s/early 80s, he decided to concoct a new virus and give it to gay people. Then he sat around waiting and laughing at the suffering the virus caused for more than 30 years until finally relenting and letting one child possibly get cured. Did I get that right?

25. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I'm sorry, I saw the first page and skimmed the rest but I have not kept up. Did a treatment potential for HIV turn into a religious flame war? Really? Really?