main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Child of Mandalore - The Story of a Mandalorian Warrior - COMPLETE at last

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by VaderLVR64, Feb 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Title: Child of Mandalore
    Author: VaderLVR64
    Characters: OCs
    Timeframe: Pre TPM
    Genre: Short Story
    Summary: A child finds hope after war claims his family
    Notes: A plot bunny attacked me while I was reading an article in Star Wars Insider #86. The article is titled ?The Mandalorians: People and Culture? The language spoken by the warrior is taken from the same article and I will endeavor to portray the Mandalorian culture as accurately as possible. Quotes from the article will appear as well. Thanks for reading!

Child of Mandalore

?In five millennia, the Mandalorians fought with and against a thousand armies on a thousand worlds. They learned to speak as many languages and absorbed weapons technologies and tactics from every wary. And yet, despite the overwhelming influence of alien cultures, and the absence of a true home world and even species, their own language not only survived but changed little; their way of life and their philosophy remained untouched; and their ideals and sense of family, of identity, of nation, were only strengthened. Armor is not what makes a Mandalorian. Armor is simply a manifestation of an impenetrable, unassailable heart.? Star Wars Insider #86

The boy was only seven years old when his old life was swept away in a hail of blasterfire and new one was put before him in the form of an outstretched, armored hand. Instead of reaching for the hand, the boy struck out at it with the vibroblade he had held in his small, bloodstained fingers. The blood belonged to his mother, the blade he had taken from his father?s dead hand.

The warrior standing over him did not flinch back when the boy struck out at him, but knelt in the bloody mud and removed the helmet covering his face. Surprisingly kind blue eyes and a shock of red hair were hidden beneath the fearsome helmet. A smile made the blue eyes crinkle and the boy was reminded of his father. The warrior beckoned the boy closer, murmuring something in a language the child did not understand.

Giving a stubborn shake of his head, the boy scowled at the man with a fierce glare. This seemed to please the man, whose grin widened. The man sat back on his heels and gave the boy a moment to consider his situation. The two stared at each other in silence, neither moving a muscle. From a distance, the child could hear the screams of the dying and the wounded. He remembered his mother whispering his name just before she let go of life.

?Pendar?? her voice had been weak, seeming to leak out of her just like the blood forming an ever-widening pool beneath her. She had the strength to say no more and a moment later, she was gone. He was alone then, for his father had died early in the attack.

War had found their little village and the arrogance of their leaders had brought death into their midst. The life he had once known was gone forever, and as young as he was, he knew it. Never again would his mother sing to him as he fell asleep, nor would his father teach him the ways of their people. His father had been a proud man, never forgetting the heritage of his warrior ancestors. He had passed that along to his son, and it was an inbred fortitude that made the little boy stand up straight now, his eyes locked with the warrior who could so easily kill him. Pendar Epoc would not back down; it was not in him to do so.

Remembering his father?s tutelage made his grief sharp and Pendar threw himself at the warrior with a cry of fury, striking out at the man blindly. The man stopped him with insulting ease, immobilizing him by wrapping his massive arms around the struggling little body. Soon, Pendar?s screams of rage turned into sobs of loss and sorrow and still the warrior held the boy. The man gave no sign that either reaction troubled him, but merely let the boy ride out the storm of his emotions. When his tears had been spent and Pendar leaned against the warrior exhaustedly, one big hand came to rest on top of the boy?s dark head. ?Shhh??

Pendar relaxed completely, his min

2. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003

Remembering his father?s tutelage made his grief sharp and Pendar threw himself at the warrior with a cry of fury, striking out at the man blindly. The man stopped him with insulting ease, immobilizing him by wrapping his massive arms around the struggling little body. Soon, Pendar?s screams of rage turned into sobs of loss and sorrow and still the warrior held the boy. The man gave no sign that either reaction troubled him, but merely let the boy ride out the storm of his emotions. When his tears had been spent and Pendar leaned against the warrior exhaustedly, one big hand came to rest on top of the boy?s dark head. ?Shhh??

Awwwwww your Oc's are always so marvelous, Kim! Marvelous job!!

3. VIII

VIII Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 16, 2005
    Incredible. I´m going to keep my eyes on this one...

4. correllian_ale

correllian_ale Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    =D= Here we go, another heart-string tugger. Very nice intro VaderLVR, and I'm very into your "mysterious" armored character. :D Very excited to about the possibilities of where you could be leading us.

?Family is more than bloodlines.?
    (I think Mr.Drumond said something like that once...:p)

5. leia_naberrie

leia_naberrie Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2002
    =D= :eek: Is there anything you can't write?

The boy was only seven years old when his old life was swept away in a hail of blasterfire and new one was put before him in the form of an outstretched, armored hand. Instead of reaching for the hand, the boy struck out at it with the vibroblade he had held in his small, bloodstained fingers. The blood belonged to his mother, the blade he had taken from his father?s dead hand.

From the first paragraph I was hooked. What an opening. =D=

Pendar thrust the blanket away from him despite his chill.
    ?How do I know what an idiot like you is thinking??

I love this kid. [face_dancing] Please if you have a PM list, I'd be very glad to know when you update this.

6. Bale

Bale Jedi Master star 4

May 9, 2005
    Most excellent! I love how you show the transformation of Pendar's emotions and reactions over the loss of his parents and the appearance of this stranger. It's very well written and very believable.

Unfortunately, some will pass this story up, rolling their eyes, saying," Great ... another orphaned Mandalorian story. How original."

But as you've poignantly pointed out, war and family is paramount to their existence, it is who they are. It is their "circle of life," so to speak. Inevitably, there would have been countless orphaned Mandalorians over the ages, and as you've shown, it would not be unusual, if not expected, for others to take them in.

The Mandalorians are a fascinating culture and this story has all of the trappings to be a great one. So to those that would pass this up, shame on you!

Great work here, Vadey. I definitely look forward to seeing where this goes. Please feel free to PM me w/ any updates to this.

7. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Layren Thank you. I've discovered that writing OCs is a bit addictive. :p

VIII Glad you liked it! :D

correllian_ale Wish I could take credit for that line. It comes from the article and is a saying among the Mandalore.

leia_naberrie The kid's got spirit, which makes him a perfect candidate for adoption by the Mandalore! :p

Bale When I read the article and it mentioned how the Mandalore commonly adopted war orphans (even accepting adults into their society) I thought it might make an interesting story. This little boy wasn't born a Mandalore, but family is more than bloodlines as the Mandalore say! ;) Thanks so much for reading!

8. CodyMonKenobi

CodyMonKenobi Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2001
    This is a great start. I am intrested to see how the boy progresses. Please PM me when you update it.

9. Darth_Abtranor

Darth_Abtranor Jedi Youngling star 1

May 30, 2005
  10. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    CodyMonKenobi Thanks for reading, and I will! :D

Darth_Abtranor Thanks!

I hope to update later this week!

11. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Whoa...my roommate and I were just reading that article earlier this morning. Okay, we were ooohing over the fem-Mandalorian costumes we could make based off the pictures, but never mind that! :p The article was fascinating, and I love that you're expanding from it.

My favorite bit? That the Mando warrior just automatically accepts Pendar as his own. [face_love] Of course, that doesn't mean Pendar wants to be accepted. :p

Please PM me when you update! I promise I won't report you to a mod. [face_batting]

12. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    JadeSolo Please PM me when you update! I promise I won't report you to a mod. Sure...that's what you say now. :p

[b]Chapter 2[/b]

The two of them stared at each other, the boy trying to absorb the man?s words, and the man trying to let the child see that he intended him no harm. Naturally, the boy was distressed; he had lost everything and everyone he had ever known and loved. The sleep that had claimed the child had been deep, and the warrior hoped it had been enough to start the boy on the path to healing. He would always remember his lost family, but in time, the thought would not pain him. Loss was a part of life, and though young, the boy was not too young to accept this hard truth. There was a deep core of strength in the child before him, the warrior sensed that clearly, and it pleased him.

The red-haired man shook the child?s hand firmly. ?My name is Ghee Rendanali,? he said. He continued to hold the small, dirty hand in his and gave the child a look that said he was waiting for an introduction.

Pendar studied the warrior for a moment, obviously wary but content to let his hand rest in the man?s grasp. Finally, he gave a stiff nod. ?I?m Pendar Epoc,? he said quietly.

?I?m honored to meet you, Pendar Epoc,? Ghee replied with a slight smile as he released the boy?s hand. He noticed with amusement that the boy wiped his hand on the blanket. Spirited indeed, he mused, and not easy to frighten.

?Were you the one who killed my parents?? Pendar asked suddenly, his eyes daring the warrior to lie to him. Ghee had a feeling this one would know if he lied. Pendar was spirited and intelligent, and suddenly the man could not wait to see Kyri?s face when she saw the child.

?No,? Ghee answered. ?But one of my men was,? he continued, driven to brutal honesty by his own nature. Ghee would not dishonor this fragile beginning by lying to the boy, and it would be wise to see if the child had the strength he would need in the months ahead. Many changes were coming for the boy, and he would need to face them head on, without flinching away from harsh reality.

They two were silent for a moment, the boy absorbing this truth and the man giving him the time to do so. Then the child?s dark eyes came up to meet the man?s gaze, and the warrior was pleased to note that his eyes were dry, his expression fierce but no tears. ?You came to our planet because of King Nehwo, didn?t you?? the boy asked. ?What he did to the Ziira, right??

The warrior nodded. ?Your king attacked a peaceful planet and slaughtered many,? Ghee replied. ?But the Ziira were not without financial resources. So they hired us.?

?Who?s us?? Pendar asked, further surprising the man with his curiosity and adaptability. All of these were good signs that the boy would adjust to life among the Mandalore. He had chosen well, recognizing the boy?s spirit. It had been right to give him a chance at the glorious life of the Mandalore rather than spending his youth on the harsh soil of his homeworld. Pendar Epoc was meant for greater things, that much was obvious.

?We are the Mandalore,? Ghee answered. ?We are a warrior people.?

Pendar tilted his head. ?My father spoke of the Mandalore once,? he said. ?He came from a warlike people, too.? The boy smirked. ?He said the Mandalore were nothing compared to the Tuugaats.?

The warrior grinned at the boy. ?I see you have your share of pride, cub.? He nodded. ?That is good, a man should be proud of who he is and what he has accomplished.?

?My father told me [i]we[/i] were descended from noble warriors,? the boy explained. ?And my father never forgot that.? Pendar shot a sly glance at Ghee. ?He said the Mandalores weren?t much more than glorified bounty hunters.?

To the boy?s surprise, Ghee did not take offense but burst out into laughter and shook his head. ?Leave it to a Tuugaatian mud crawler to come to that conclusion,? he said without rancor.

His temper suddenly pricked, Pendar hopped to his feet, his little fists clenched at his sides. ?Take it back!? he crie

13. Layren

Oct 28, 2003
    Awwwww I'm just loving their relationship, Kim!! Truly touching! Well done!

14. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    ?It is the way of fighting men.?

Yeah, roll around in the mud, and then buy each other a beer. Men in general. [face_laugh]

I love how Pendar seems to have quietly accepted his new life (for the moment, anyway). It's both impressive and sad. What was especially interesting was how he went from vehemently defending his father to almost hating him for staying behind. Like he hates his father for dying. :(

Can't wait for more! :D

15. VIII

VIII Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 16, 2005
    Damn, this good.. It´s really, really good.
    I love how you´re establishing the relationship between the boy and the Mando.
    And of course the dialouge is great too.

I´m looking forward to seeing more of this fic...

16. Quiet_Mandalorian

Quiet_Mandalorian Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2005
    Ni imuuri ibic, Vader-riduur. Ori'jate, or very well done, in other words.;)

I'm going have to try and find time for a review for you.[face_thinking]

17. Bale

Bale Jedi Master star 4

May 9, 2005
    There was a deep core of strength in the child before him, the warrior sensed that clearly, and it pleased him.
    That says so much about these characters in so few words.

?Home is where our armor is,? Ghee replied quietly, shrewdly guessing at the direction of the boy?s thoughts.
    Brilliant! It definitely sounds like something a Mandalorian would say.

?Good,? he whispered. ?You are stubborn, not stupid.?

With a flash of his dark eyes, Pendar noted dryly, ?Too bad I can?t say the same thing about you.?

A bark of laughter escaped the man. ?Ah, cub? How my Kyri will love you, for she would agree with you much of the time!?

Pendar definitely has some fiest. I can see why Ghee sees such promise in him already. Already, you can see a bond beginning to form between them.

As expected, a great update, Vadey. Most impressive. =D=

18. correllian_ale

Jun 20, 2005
    [face_laugh] From the mouths of babes...

I like how Pendar's behavior would frustrate most adults, but with Ghee, they were all positives and indicitive of solid character.

Could Pendar be a much needed/wanted addition to the lives of Ghee and Kyri?

It's nice how much character development you pack into these short chapters Mamma V!
    =D=

p.s. - I see you have a PM list going??? ;)

19. leia_naberrie

Sep 10, 2002
    War not only made orphans, it made men out of children, Ghee mused.

*shudders* How true. :(

?Good,? he whispered. ?You are stubborn, not stupid.?

With a flash of his dark eyes, Pendar noted dryly, ?Too bad I can?t say the same thing about you.?

[face_laugh] Still loving the runt. Thanks for the PM. :)

20. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Layren Thank you! [face_blush]

JadeSolo They fight, they drink, they get dirty, it's all good! :p

VIII Thank you, it's a new area for me, so I'm enjoying getting the feel of these characters! :D

Quiet_Mandalorian Thank you so much! :)

Bale I'm borrowing heavily from the article I mentioned in the first post! ;)

correllian_ale I do have a PM list going! :D And thank you for reading!

leia_naberrie This little guy has all my kids' spirit packed into one kid. Uh oh! [face_laugh]

[b]Chapter 3[/b]

?I?m not a pet kitling, you know,? Pendar said in a thoroughly disgruntled voice. ?I don?t need anyone to love me, ?specially not you or this Kyri.? Pendar?s voice wavered a bit, but he kept it under admirable control considering his age and circumstances.

Quickly, Ghee schooled his features into a more solemn expression. ?My apologies, Pendar,? he said with a nod. ?You are correct.?

Pendar stared at him with skepticism for a moment, obviously searching the warrior?s face for any hint of mockery, but then sniffed lightly; apparently satisfied that Ghee was sincere. ?So, this Kyri person?? Pendar began. ?She?s not gonna kiss me or anything is she?? The boy?s scowl grew fierce once more.

Ghee frowned thoughtfully. ?I can instruct her that there?s to be no kissing if you like.?

?That might be a good idea,? Pendar said. Then he looked up at Ghee and asked in a small voice, much more suited to the child he actually was. ?Why are you taking me to your home??

Hesitating for a moment, Ghee bit his lower lip. ?Well?Since you seem to be alone now, I thought?perhaps?? The warrior winced, very much aware of just how the boy had come to be alone and wondering if the child would ever forgive his role in it. Still, he consoled himself, many had come to them by just such a route and he knew that acceptance and forgiveness could come with time and caring attention.

?Ah, just spit it out, would you?? Pendar sighed deeply, his exasperation evident.

Ghee grinned at the boy. ?Well, perhaps you can see how you like life among my people,? he suggested. ?You are not compelled to stay with us, but I would like you to give us a chance ? especially Kyri.?

The boy?s smile was sly. ?You?re pretty sure Kyri?s gonna like me, aren?t you??

The warrior?s laughter boomed out in the cabin. ?Oh yes, I?m pretty sure she will.?

Before they had a chance to speak further, the vibrations in the floor beneath them shifted and changed, and both warrior and boy looked down. Then the door to the cabin opened and a huge man with white blonde hair stuck in his massive head. ?Ghee, we?re out of hyperspace and we?ll be landing soon,? he called out in their native tongue. Then the blonde warrior glanced at the boy and grinned when Pendar scowled fiercely at him. ?A brave little cub you?ve found yourself, Ghee.? He nodded at the child. ?Kyri will be pleased.?

Ghee smiled and returned the gesture. ?I?d best talk this little cub into displaying some manners before Kyri meets him, then. Don?t you think, Cole??

Cole laughed and shook his head. ?No, she?s lived with you too long. It would only confuse her!? The huge warrior ducked when Ghee threw a small container at his head and the door closed with a decisive click.

Turning back to Pendar, Ghee noted that the boy?s dark skin had taken on an ashen pallor when Cole had opened the door, but the defiant glint never left his eyes. Pendar?s chin jerked up. ?So?what did the big gundark have to say??

?His name is Cole and he wanted me to know we?ve left hyperspace and will be landing soon,? Ghee replied. Pendar gave an exaggerated shrug as if he did not care, but Ghee noticed that the boy swallowed hard at the news.

?Who?s this Kyri person that thinks you?re stupid, too?? the boy asked, arching one brow in a very adult manner.

Ghee smiled broadly. ?Kyri is my wife,? he explained. ?You?ll like her ? everyone does.?

?I doubt it,? Pendar replied. ?If [i]you[/i] like her then that doesn?t

21. Layren

Oct 28, 2003

Kyri laughed and ruffled the boy?s hair. ?I ask myself that question all the time, young Pendar,? she confided with a fond glance up at her husband. ?But you?ll find he grows on you.?

The boy snorted. ?Oh great, just what I need ? a fungus!?

[face_laugh][face_laugh] Well at least he didn't compare him to a parasite :p Great new chapter Kim; especially like the bit on how Pendar would come to see that he hadn't been captured but adopted -- just wonderful :)

22. leia_naberrie

Sep 10, 2002
    Her hand came up to her throat, but there was no other sign of emotion.

I like Kyri already. :) She really comes across as a strong but compassionate soul.

Pendar looked up at Ghee and smirked. ?How did someone like you get someone like her to marry you?? he asked with unflattering surprise.

Watch out, Ghee. You didn't bring home a son, you brought home a rival! [face_devil]

23. Bale

Bale Jedi Master star 4

May 9, 2005
    As always, she stood straight and slim, her body seemingly poised for action. Ghee often thought that she had the lean, lethal beauty of a sand cat ready to pounce.

I love the elegant descriptions you give your characters. It's nothing too flashy or fancy, yet you make your characters so interesting and believable.

Another great update, Mama V. :)

24. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Layren It's going to be a huge adjustment for the kid - AND Ghee and Kyri! :p

leia_naberrie She is very strong, and Pendar will soon discover she's a very compassionate woman as well. He doesn't know it yet, but he's fallen into somethin good! :)

Bale With Kyri, I wanted to give the impression of femininity, but strength and determination. Hopefully, that will come through as the story progresses!

Thanks for reading!

25. correllian_ale

Jun 20, 2005
    Although Pendar seems to have a begrudging respect for Ghee, it seems like he'll quickly become attached to Kyri.

I really like how the story, even tough its an interstellar tale, has a very a "ancient time" feel, with the warring "tribes" wiping out the adults and bolstering their own society.

Ghee seems to think Pendar will come around eventually, but I have a feeling it won't be so easy...[face_worried]

Great update Mama V! (n' thanks for the PM too!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.