"Children of the Jedi," by Barbara Hambly [Bantam, 1995]

Discussion in 'Literature Review Forum' started by dp4m, Jun 10, 2003.

?

"Children of the Jedi," by Barbara Hambly [Bantam, 1995]

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
10 (Excellent) 12 vote(s) 10.4%
9 5 vote(s) 4.3%
8 11 vote(s) 9.6%
7 3 vote(s) 2.6%
6 (Average) 6 vote(s) 5.2%
5 (Average) 7 vote(s) 6.1%
4 9 vote(s) 7.8%
3 9 vote(s) 7.8%
2 3 vote(s) 2.6%
1 (Poor) 50 vote(s) 43.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dp4m Chosen One

star 9
  2. dp4m Chosen One

star 9
    [image=http://www.theforce.net/books/images/c_children.jpg]

Synopsis:
    "In Children of the Jedi, Barbara Hambly introduces a new character: Callista, a brave Jedi warrior of long ago who gave her life to foil one of the Empire's darkest plans, a plot to destroy a stronghold that was sanctuary for the wives and children of the Jedi knights. Suddenly, the dreadnought is rearming itself, intent on destruction. Only Luke Skywalker can feel its evil presence as well as the mysterious influence of that powerful woman who should have died decades ago."

TheForce.net Book Review for Children of the Jedi.
  3. neeldawg66 Force Ghost

star 8

Hambly's writing style just doesn't do it for me. The book was not as good as I had hoped, the title seemed like it would delve deeper into the Jedi of the Old Republic and the Jedi but it never did. The Eye of Palpatine was a pretty cool ship and it was nice to see species that were involved in the movies, suchs Jawas, Tusken Raiders, and Gamorreans.
  4. Jedi_Liz Force Ghost

star 6
    I didn't "Add" my vote, but I give this book a 3. I had to force myself to finish it. The writing just seemed to be wrong.......it was boring and dragged on and the plot was so stupid.

The Luke/Callista storyline was just plain pathetic, and at one time I LIKED Callista, but now I think she could have just stayed on the ship and been blown up.

I'd rather go to the dentist then read this book again.
  5. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10

The writing style was completely wrong, and Callista was a bad idea.

-Evan
  6. Jedifighterpilot Jedi Padawan

i'm curious about the plot gap in this book, i was hoping i could get some info on it. what happened with luke and what did he learn from being the emperors Luitenent
  7. --Corran_Horn-- Jedi Knight

star 3
    emperor's lieutenant? no idea what your talking about...

I didn't much like the book, after having seen luke as being so very powerful in other books such as CoPL, I was rather disapointed to see him limping around, unable to stop a bunch of Gammoreans. The Ismaren plot idea was not that inspiring although they wrapped it up nicely with the Enemy Lines 2: Rebel Stand.

Also, many emperor's hands! Very interesting, especially considering how pissed Mara got when Thrawn suggested the idea in TTT.
  8. GreatOne Force Ghost

star 4
    I liked this book. It was one of the few books that actually showed Han and Leia as a real married couple that get along. The Callista scenes were a bit long, however.
  9. Grand_Duchess_Olga Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I give it a 5. And if some of you can help me out here, what happened to the Children of the Jedi? Did they get off planet or were they killed before Leia and Han arrived? I thought the Han/Leia and the Luke/Callista plots were good. Of course, a lot of things in the book (like spouses of Jedi, the fact Callista was taken into training when she was too old) that contridict what we see in the new trilogy. The thing that really irked me is that all the life forms in the ship were from Tattoine...it would have been great if it was also other species included. And yeah, the revelation that there were other Emporer's hands...priceless. (and on Mara and Lando in bed together, Mara said in either Spector of the Past or the sequal to that book, that she didn't do anything with Lando...why not? Some Victorian idea of purity in play here?)
  10. ivylore2 Jedi Knight

star 2
    I loved this book.

Granted, I think it appealed to an entirely different sort of reader than the majority of SW books do - hence the virulent polarization of readers (people either REALLY hate it, or REALLY love it). For me it was the first book that truly dug into the characters, fully investigated what effects the past had had on them (a point I feel has been terribly overlooked in most SW books post ROTJ.) I liked seeing our favourite heroes portrayed as 'real' people; ie. Han/Leia as a real married couple; Luke as occassionally fallible and lonely. I love Hambley's flowery writing style too.

Overall... I'd give it a 9.9
  11. Jawa_Monkey_Droid Jedi Padawan

Hambly's writing style is what killed this for me. The ideas were fair, and would have flurished in the hands of a more capable author, but Hambly waters them down in a very Ann Rice/Poppy Z. Brite fashion, describing unimportant things in overlong detail, and forcing the characters to behave in ways that contradict their "normal" personality as written in other books. Hambly also seems to write the story as if it were something she'd thought of ages ago as a non-Star Wars story, and simply altered her idea to fit the Star Wars theme.

Overall, not worth the reading time required, but necessary to any EU fan for it's important events. Struggle through this one as a labor of love for the later works.
  12. Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling

star 5
    I loved it. I give it an 8.
  13. LordExar Jedi Padawan

I voted 9. It's good.
  14. handzik Force Ghost

star 5
    I give it a 3. I only managed to force myself to read it once. Every other SW book I've read at least twice. I don't even remember what it was about, just that I had a hard time getting through it.
  15. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling

star 10

Another really bad book. Hambly should not be allowed anywhere near a SW novel.
  16. GeithJiseo Jedi Master

star 4
    I give COTJ an 8.

Hambly's writing style is difficult to follow at times, and it does drag at some points, but overall, I greatly enjoyed it. I actually prefer Callista's character over Mara Jade's (but that's just me), and I think Hambly did a good job of writing Han and Leia.

I didn't like the whole Let's-injure-Luke-really-bad-once-again subplot, since it's been done to death already (The New Rebellion suffered the same problem, as well). But for the most part, COTJ held my interest.
  17. Chiss_Imperial Jedi Knight

star 1
    Rating 1

Even though the idea of the Eye was a really cool idea, it sucked how luke was hurt. also this book was hard to read boring and barely coherant the worst EU book of my life.

Sorry :-(
  18. Boba_Fett_123 Jedi Master

star 4
    Ugh. If one woman should never, ever be let near Star Wars literature, it's Vonda McIntyre. However, another woman who probably shouldn't put pen to paper is Barbara Hambly.

Where do I begin? I had to force myself to trudge through this book, and even then I couldn't bring myself to finish is, mainly because Callista is one of the worst ideas ever; not surprising, considering the author. The only redeeming moment is when Anakin's ghost appears to Leia on Bakura, but other than that, I really wish the S'Ruuk had taken over Bakura, but before this novel could have happened.

19. Jbrewster1012 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Not a good book. This has been the only Star Wars book that I couldn't finish.
  20. DarthShona Force Ghost

star 5
    This, along with Planet of Twilight, is the worst SW book I have ever read. I really had to push myself to finish it.
  21. DarthBreezy Chosen One

star 6
    I tried to read it.

Most god awful trash I've ever picked up.
  22. CrystalKenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    I've been trying to read it and listen to it on tape, but I don't understand some of it. for example: where it talks about the jedi hiding their children. Are they talking about the children from the temple or were there some jedi who were married and hid their children. That just was not clear to me. Oh well .
  23. Jort Jedi Master

star 4
    I gave it a 6.

When I started reading I thought it was gonna take me ages to finish it, but I advanced well, and it wasn't as bad as I expected.

The part with Luke could have been done alot better. I really hated him getting hurt all the time. I mean, I can except what happened in the starfighter, but in that mess hall (or wherever it was) he gets in a fight with those Gammorreans and defeats maybe 2 before a 3rd injures him badly. Oh cmon, he has a lightsaber while those primitive Gammoreans have virbo-axes. He is the greatest jedi alive and has defeated a Dark Lord of the Sith but he can't take on a bunch of Gammorreans? How many Gammorreans didn't he kill in ROTJ? The rest of the story is always about in how much of a pain he is and Callista wasn't a bad idea but I find it just weird that he falls for someone in a computer. The only part I really liked about this is how Hambly involved C-3PO.

2/5

The Leia part was alot better, I really enjoyed reading it, it was exciting and I really had the classic SW feeling. It was good to see Leia and Han as couple on their mission and to see Leia use her force-abilities.

4/5
  24. The Gatherer Jedi Youngling

star 6

Bib Fortuna, Twi'lek, sadly, I agree. :(
  25. master_organa Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I gave it a 1. It is the worst book I have ever read.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.