"Children of the Jedi," by Barbara Hambly [Bantam, 1995]

Discussion in 'Literature Review Forum' started by dp4m, Jun 10, 2003.

?

"Children of the Jedi," by Barbara Hambly [Bantam, 1995]

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
10 (Excellent) 12 vote(s) 10.4%
9 5 vote(s) 4.3%
8 11 vote(s) 9.6%
7 3 vote(s) 2.6%
6 (Average) 6 vote(s) 5.2%
5 (Average) 7 vote(s) 6.1%
4 9 vote(s) 7.8%
3 9 vote(s) 7.8%
2 3 vote(s) 2.6%
1 (Poor) 50 vote(s) 43.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aztek Force Ghost

star 4
    I gave it an eight, at times I thought it was a bit long winded, but overall I thought it was quite good.

If anyone needs to be outcast from the GFFA it should be Vonda Mcintyre (sp?) I'll delve deeper into that when I review TCS.
  2. Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master

star 4
    Seven. An enjoyable, if slightly slow, read.
  3. TraxxasJedi Jedi Master

star 1
    I hated this book. I've read most of the star wars books out there and there were some holes in it.

1. The droid and maker. Exactly when did they come in? That just didn't help me at all. If your going to tell us that these to came you might aswell tell us when and how it happened. You might also like to go in greater detail about Nicholas and his droid body. Did I miss a book?

2. These are the ones I remember. When did Luke become the Emperors right hand man? Did I just miss that book too? Those are just TOO confusing for one who has read most of the SW books.

Over all I gave it a ONE.
  4. Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Master

star 4
    8/10. (though I voted nine by accident)

I think Hambly's writing is hit or miss. You either love it or hate it. It was the very first SW novel I ever read, and while certainly very differently stylistically, I rather liked it. Callista wasn't an awful character to begin with. In fact, I found her very interesting. I blame writers like Anderson for the deterioration of her character into something completely unlikeable, mostly due to Zahn's arrogant little ultimateum to Bantam, but whatever. I liked that Luke wasn't all powerful. Sure, it's great to watch him kick serious booty sometimes, but I like a novel where we're reminded he's human, too. I find it refreshing to watch him have to think innovatively rather than rely on his Jedi powers all the time. This is one of the rare novels where I don't find him too much out of character. I also thought Cray and Nicholas were rather interesting side characters, if a bit brief in development. And, also, Han and Leia? Loved 'em in this. They get abused so often, it's nice to see a book where they act like a romantic, passionate married couple. Finally, I liked the idea of a place where Jedi hid their children. This was written before the PT came out, so Hambly wouldn't have known the no-attachment rule of the old Order, so it seems a bit strange in context, but it can be easily explained away as a general term. It certainly gave us a poignant and pained moment's pause in record of the Jedi that suffered in the Purges.

I do admit, however, that it does have flaws. What the hell happened to Roganda and Ismaren? And just how does she wish to explain how the Force can overtake machines? Are we to assume that the droids were sentient and that he was controlling the through Callista? And how did nobody ever find out about this battle station? It seems awfully significant for nobody to know about it. And while I did like the almost "dream-like" quality to the story's flow, I felt that it, at times, left many of the clues as to what was going on to be fairly vague and unexplained. There really isn't a clear conclusion to most of it, which might have been the point, but it certainly left me a bit puzzled on the first read. I do like the hesitant-but-hopeful feel of the book. Big changes for everybody. It's a shame it all had to be shot down too quickly by the decision to get rid of Callista. Her romance with Luke may have seemed fast, but it certainly much better developed than the "slam-bam-thank-you-ma'am" rubbish that was VOTF's Luke/Mara engagement.

Over all, I rather enjoyed it. It had problems, but I like her style.
  5. Obi_one_and_only Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I gave it a 3. I find Hanbly's writing too slow and boring. I never read this book again.
  6. Darth_Rolek Jedi Knight

star 1
    I gave this one an 8 out of 10. I'm pretty much where Chaotic Serenity is. I thought this book had an excellent story and overall it was very good. I will admit that I can see why people might not like it. The first chapter was slow for me the first time I read it as well. I thought once it picked up, it really got good though. I love the way Hambly writes Callista too. I share the opinion that you pretty much either love Hambly's writing or you hate it.
  7. Sniper_Wolf Force Ghost

star 4
    9/10. Very well written novel, prefect characterizations, and interesting new characters who didn't try to outdo the movie villains. "Lets injure Luke," Cray coming off as a cliche at the beginning, and "super weapon of the month" were the only faults, but the rest of the novel makes up for it. This is by far the best EU novel I've read in a while.
  8. omega_essence Jedi Padawan

my jedi is a rebel,but is choosing to find its way into life,when the dark side has alot of what he needs,they kill his people,but the good side has truth,yet no exitement.He must shoose,before the war breaks just too loose,his primary weapon,the red lightsaber was from the ancient darth malak of knights of the old republic,he fixed it and made it better.He has a droid,T312 who has its inteligence up to its prime and his friend han solo.Trained by the jedi,cristen stiener of the city of corasaunt,finds his dream,one step at a time,but tries to survive in the process.This is during the aftermath of return of the jedi.
  9. Xzilen20 Jedi Padawan

Not good. But not entirely bad. A couple chapters held my intrest, but then again, I had just read TCS before this, so yea....
  10. crashdown Force Ghost

star 4
    4/10

Some good ideas, but the writing style just did not do it for me. The charaters seemed a but off also.
  11. Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I forced myself to read this. It rates as one of the worst EU books I've read besides the Black Fleet Crisis trilogy.

12. Carnor_Jaxson Jedi Padawan

I like Irek/Roganda Ismarian but what happened to the Children of Belsavus? 9/10
  13. Lady_Kenobi84 Jedi Padawan

I gave it a 5. Didn't hate it, didn't love it. It was a Star Wars book. That's pretty much it.
  14. MsLanna Force Ghost

star 6
    I dreaded reading it abit after all I heard about it in the forums, but I enjoyed reading it. Since I knew Hambly and her writing style from other books by her it was nothing to bother me. I liked the whole idea of the ship gathering up more or less intelligent species and would love to see a fanficcer get his finger of the deprogramming of those crazy 'flowers'.

The Luke/Calliste thing went off a little to fast for me, but I rather liked her... until she got off the ship. Somehow it felt wrong to me. *shrugs* And the mush, was alittle to mushy for me: 'the most beautiful woman he had ever seen' paleeease.

Hurting Luke, well, guess it was neccessary. If he had been in full possession of his abilities much would have gone very different. (And, man, I do love those flowers pretending to be imperials. Hilarious!)
  15. Obese_1_Ka-Blooey Jedi Master

star 4
    it stunk. 1. boring and a bad ending. callista was an uninteresting character.
  16. King_of_Skulls Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'm having a really difficult time progressing in this book. I'll try to 'make' myself read it, but after 10-15 minutes I'm already drained.

Just 37 pages in or so, I can already see characters 'not acting' like themselves - Han Solo especially.

As much as I hate to do it, I'll probably just chalk this book and Hambly's other Star Wars stuff as a loss, and read a summary of it and move on to the next book in line.

I go into the EU pretty late, so have had the opportunity to play 'catch up' and read the story in chronological order - thus far I've enjoyed practically every novel to this point (yes, some of them were'nt that great, but they were readable at least).
  17. Jawas_Poodoo Jedi Knight

star 2
    7 - CHILDREN OF THE JEDI presents some great story ideas but is bogged down by several verbose chapters and too many long-winded descriptions.

STRENGTHS:
    -Character depth
    -Interesting new characters (Callista, the Ismarens)
    -Original storyline (super-weapon of the week aside)
    -Exploring the era of the Jedi Purge
    -Bizare twist ending

WEAKNESSES:
    -Slow pace
    -Continuity issues with the release of the pre-quels (no fault of the author)
    -Bizare twist ending (seemed rushed)
  18. padawanlissa Jedi Master

star 4
    I gave it a 5. While parts of it were good, I didn't like the whole idea of Callista being able go into a computer and another person's body.
  19. 1_4_Jedi Jedi Master

star 1
    1/10

Hated it. Callista creeps me out, I didn't like the way Luke was stranded & helpless on the station or the rest of the plot for that matter. The whole story felt slow and dull, and it seemed to lack credibility even in the SW galaxy. Although it did have some interesting passages, I could've done without this novel altogether.
  20. MagnusPrimal Jedi Knight

star 1
    Didn't like it. Gave it a 1. Didn't like Luke getting hurt rather more easily than he should've, didn't like Callista, and didn't like how Mara was handled. I just could never buy her and Lando together, but thankfully Zahn cleaned that up. And chalk me up for someone who just doesn't like the way Hambly writes. Not the worst book in the EU though. That has to be Crystal Star. When I rate it, I'll have to try to use a negative number.
  21. RealTalk Jedi Knight

star 1
    i gave it a 1, this is as bad as it gets, nothing that happens in it has any value, its boring, and luke is charactarized terribly in it

im actually really mad that i forced myself to finish it, i knew it was bad about 70 pages in when i had no interest in reading anymore, normally by then im into the story, but in this one, not at all, yet for some reason i pressed onward and made myself finish it, ugh
  22. LostJedi26 Jedi Master

star 1
    I haven't voted anywhere... I hope it's okay to post here...

I've read and read this book over the past few years. Each time, I find something different, absorb some new part of it.

strengths
    speech patterns - Hambly actually said somewhere that she made a point to learn their speech patterns, so the dialogue would seem realistic. While I notice discrepancies between other books and CotJ, I have to say most of what Han and Leia said (used as a point of reference), I could actually hear them saying.
    Callista - I love complex characters, and Callista is very much a complexity. And the romance between Luke/Callista doesn't seem forced, like Luke/Mara's does in VotF. While I can see how to some it owuld look weird, creepy, etc etc, I find it more probable that he would find someone, and their connection in the Force would strengthen their friendship/romance.
    Leia - I love how Hambly takes Leia, and delves into her past in this book and PoT. Very good work, and awesome character development. I love how Leia actually uses her Force abilities in this book.
    creativity - Her descriptions are vivid, metophorical. The flowerlike creatures (not even going to attempt to spell their name) were interesting I thought, exotic. Exotic is awesome in SW.
    background - I love the background into the politics, Leia's past, other characters' pasts, the info on Gammorians, even if they were a bit redundent in places.

weaknesses/improvements
    pace - some parts I found a bit slow going, and possibly lengthier than necessary, but it's a minor detail. I've read much, much more verbose books, trust me.
    the discrepancy between Jedi not having attachment (not allowed to marry, seen in the PoT I believe), and in this book, the reality that some did, and needed a place of refuge for their families. It's minor, but it is something. And no, I don't fault her for it, or even hold it against the book, because personally, I find this version fits somewhat better, and this was before PT.

Other misc observations
    The complexities in this book truly stand out for me. Hambly's two books are possibly two of my favorites. I love how her writing seems more advanced languistically and in level of reading ability. Different for SW. Not that I find other SW to easy to read, but some authors are not as challenging to follow.
    I respect Hambly for making Callista a believable character, for the facits to the characters. I wonder if the Luke always being injured isn't geting old, but I appreciate how he is forced to fall back on his quick thinking and resourcefulness.
    Nichos was an interesting twist, but not a bad one. Cray... I wish there had been a book dedicated to her before Nichos was sick.

I'd say a 9, if I can vote unofficially.
  23. padawan3 Jedi Master

star 4
    1/10. I would have given it a zero but I didn't think it was an option and there was one scene I enjoyed and it was when Mara realized she wasn't the only Emperor's hand. It was probably my second least favorite book; the only one that beats was Planent of Twilight. I had to force myself to trudge along to complete it.

When I started, I too expected to learn about the old jedi order, its traditions, customs, and members and the backstory to the purge. None of which were even remotely touched upon. I understand that Hambly's writing style leaves much to be desired and it is all decided by a question of taste. Nevertheless, in my mind cough medicine tasted better going down. My advice would be for her to leave writing action books to others.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.