main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Childrens Reaction To Watching TESB

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Blue_Jedi33, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    My almost 6 year old nephew watched The Empire Strikes Back together over the Christmas Holiday. He's obsessed with Angry Birds....and loves to play Angry Birds Star Wars edition (on my iPod touch, my Samsung tablet and his oldest sister's new iPod touch). Since he had made it to the Hoth Levels with the Pig face AT ATs on my devices, we started with the Battle of Hoth and watched until Luke met Yoda. Then the next day, we watched the movie from the very beginning. He didn't freak out over the big revelation (I thought he might...but I was surprised). Told him we'd watch Return of the Jedi together next. Oh, for his birthday I am going to try to get him a Tie Fighter Lego building set. Other than Angry birds, and having two toy lightsabers (a purple one given to his older sisters and as a joke, a red one given to his dad) at home, he doesn't have too much exposure to Star Wars (doesn't watch TCW. for example).

2. credar

credar Jedi Master star 3

Sep 18, 2011
    When I get old enough, I am not going to go the OT and then the PT to my kids. I think it's much more tragic to see this kid and warrior that the kids love and follow for over 50 hours (I'm throwing in TCW.) to see them turn to the dark side and learn that Palpatine was the bad guy all along. I think that's a much bigger shock than finding out the bad guy is the hero's son. The hero becoming the bad guy.

And I'm on edge about showing the Mortis Arc, though they probably won't remember it when they get around to episode 3.

I feel so evil, manipulating their emotions > : D

3. Darth_Monkey_Boy

Darth_Monkey_Boy Jedi Knight

Oct 11, 2008
    CRAZY! I typed almost word-for-word the same thing in the "Star wars Virgins" thread! :D Watched it with my 9-year-old last year and he tripped out! At Palpy's reveal he was all, "Awwww! Yoda's gonna be mad!", and when Anakin turned on Mace, he just sat there with his mouth open not able to believe what he had just seen!By the time we got to "TESB", and Vader tells Luke his true parentage, my son was nearly in tears for him. The shock value of the scene had become something more than just a shocking twist. It was more personal now because he knew that sooner or later Luke would learn that the man he hated was, in actuality, his own father. This had become an anticipated moment, and the emotion of the scene just seemed to resonate much deeper with my boy.

4. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    The "I am your father" reveal never really clicked with me as a kid, mostly because I didn't quite understand a lot of the dialogue and never picked up on the fact that Luke really looked up to his father.

5. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

Honestly? I was more stunned by Han's situation by the end of the movie, than Vader's revelation that he was Anakin and Luke's dad.

6. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I can't even remember my reaction to finding out the truth. I think I watched the films out of order.

7. Eryndil

Eryndil Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 18, 2012
    I seem to remember being interested but not blown away by the reveal in TESB. Anyway, surprise isn't always the most important factor.

8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I was much too young to fully comprehend what Vader was saying to Luke at the end of ESB.

9. Bushy162

Bushy162 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 27, 2011
    When I was 5 years old, I watched it and I thought it was fascinating how someone could be bad, but related to someone good. Mind blowing!

10. sinkie

sinkie Jedi Padawan star 1

May 27, 2004
    I was 9, I was shocked and I never thought it was a lie, especially since Luke calls him father through the connection he makes with him through the Force. I read that sequence of events, even at 9, as Luke being able to tell he wasn't lying but didn't want to fully accept it. The pain Luke registers while on the Falcon being called out to by Vader, his cold shuddering, like he was sensing it deep within him that it was true.,didn't make me think he thought it was a lie. Wasn't until ROTJ that I realized, oh, well, yeah maybe it could be. And even then I figured Luke, still holding out hope it was a lie, asked Yoda just to confirm what he already knew. He doesn't look overly shocked there either.

11. DARTHSHAME

DARTHSHAME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003
    I was a kid and remember being surprised. I did not believe Vader was lying.

12. Klingon Padawan

Klingon Padawan Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 5, 2013
    It depends on the kid. The "I am your father" line is now a part of pop culture, but I think not everybody knows about it.