main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San A, TX Children's Shelter Visit

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by Sith_Mistress, Feb 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sith_Mistress

Sith_Mistress Jedi Master star 3

Nov 12, 2001
    We are doing our next Children's Shelter Visit on Sunday, Feb. 19 at 9:30a.m. I have already contacted several people about it, but if there is anyone else who has a costume and would like to attend, please contact me ASAP at jedigroupie@hotmail.com

We also need lots of Polaroid film for the visit, so even if you don't have a costume or can't make it to the event, you can still help out by bringing a box of Polaroid film to the meeting on Saturday, Feb. 18! The kids absolutely love having their pictures taken with the costumed characters, and the Polaroids allow them to save a memory of the event forever.

Thanks,
    Lisa

2. Darth-Hulk

Darth-Hulk Jedi Padawan star 4

May 2, 2003
    I'll bring film. I'll definitely be there.

3. tre_si_san

tre_si_san Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 1, 2004
    No promises that I can actually make the event, but i will be happy to provide a pack of film....Let me know exactly what size for the poloroid camera....

4. starbuck92

starbuck92 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 21, 2005
    Ditto what Alex asked - what kind of film do you guys need?

5. tre_si_san

Jan 1, 2004
    Hey Lisa,

We need to keep am eye on the weather this weekend. By all accounts, most are saying we are going to have our first winter storm that will bring rain, freezing rain, ice and very cold temps from Friday through Sunday. COuld put a damper on the shelter visit especially if we can't be outside. It is very crowded inside if that ends up being the case...Are there alternative dates available???

6. Captain_Pete_Solo

Captain_Pete_Solo Jedi Youngling star 1

May 16, 2001
    Hi, Pete here. Brent invited us to the event this Sun. Do you need anything? I have some SW coloring sheets. Let me know.

7. Darth-Hulk

May 2, 2003
    Hey Pete! If you could bring polaroid film. 600 or 800 type will do (per Lisa) and if you are going to come in costume please leave your weapons at home or in your car as rules do not allow us to bring them. I won't be in costume myself but will be there acting as the carrier of everyone's miscellaneous stuff (keys, cameras, bags, and what-not) or whatever else is needed.

8. tre_si_san

Jan 1, 2004
    We still need a plan b in case of weather....If they still want us there will the group size be even more limited because the facilities on the inside are quite small??

9. Darth-Hulk

May 2, 2003
    I haven't heard from Lisa about it. I will call her tonight and work out a secondary plan.

10. Sith_Mistress

Nov 12, 2001
    I have tried to contact the event coordinator at the Children's Shelter, but she was unavailable. I'm expecting her to return my call some time tomorrow morning, and we'll make a final determination then. As it looks right now, the weather is not going to agree with us, but they may have an alternative idea for us, so we'll wait and see. I'll post an update as soon as I get home from work tomorrow.

Thanks to all of you who are supporting this event. Even if we can't do it this weekend, it will be rescheduled as soon as possible.

Lisa

11. Captain_Pete_Solo

May 16, 2001
    What's the address?

12. Sith_Mistress

Nov 12, 2001
    This is the address for the Children's Shelter, and the map is at the link below. Unless the event gets cancelled due to bad weather, we will meet in the parking lot across the street from the Shelter at 9:00am. Please remember that they do not allow us to bring in any kind of prop weapons or do any "fighting". They try to keep the shelter as non-violent as possible.

133 Cedar Street

http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?ed=DSfh0up_0TqoDj8AAQy9N_Tafm4ylFrPuw--&csz=San+Antonio%2C+TX&country=us&new=1&name=&qty=

13. Sith_Mistress

Nov 12, 2001
    Due to the weather, the Children's Shelter visit has been postponed. The new date is Sunday, March 12 at 9:30 a.m. We will probably have a separate organizational meeting for those who plan to attend. Please check back for more details.

Lisa

14. Sith_Mistress

Nov 12, 2001
    Hi everyone! I just wanted to put out a reminder about the rescheduled Children's Shelter Visit.
    It will be on Sunday, March 12 at 9:30a.m. If you are planning on attending, please let me know ASAP! We have a limited number of spots.

Lisa

15. Darth-Hulk

May 2, 2003
    I will be there to do whatever I can. If you need me to step aside to make room for someone in costume then I would be happy to. Otherwise I'm there.

16. tre_si_san

Jan 1, 2004
    I will also be there unless you need to make room for a cotume character. I will also bring a pack of poloroid film.

17. Amidala Starkiller

Amidala Starkiller Jedi Master star 6

Dec 11, 1999
    Would you like that posted?

18. Sith_Mistress

Nov 12, 2001
    Thanks guys, I will let you know for sure once we get the final list together. I really appreciate your help.

Please feel free to post this info, Elizabeth. We do have a limit on how many people we can have, but if anyone with a costume out there wants to join us, then they can just contact me at jedigroupie@hotmail.com , and I'll try to fit them in.

Lisa

19. tre_si_san

Jan 1, 2004
    Lisa, whats the latest for Sunday morning???

20. Sith_Mistress

Nov 12, 2001
    The Children's Shelter visit was a big success! Brent, Alex, Marselles, Jim, James, Pete and Bob, thank you so much for showing up today. I really appreciate your help and waking up early on Sunday morning. Everything went perfectly, and the kids had a terrific time! All of you helped to brighten the lives of the children at the Shelter, and the teachers loved it too. They even asked us when we were going to come back again.

Thanks again to all of you!
    Lisa

P.S.- Special thanks to those of you who brought or contributed to the Polaroid film. The kids loved their pictures!

21. Darth-Hulk

May 2, 2003
    I was happy I could be there to help out. I had a great time making voices for the kids. Scooby Doo was a very popular request. I'm always happy to entertain the little ones.

22. tre_si_san

Jan 1, 2004
    Thanks for another great event at the Children's shelter Lisa. I can't wait till we do it again...Hopefully my new costume will be ready by then....

23. Captain_Pete_Solo

May 16, 2001
    On behalf of SWSSA, thanks for the invitation. I had a great time, the kids were so sweet. Hopefully, we can have events together in the future. Thanks to Brent for the invite. Lisa, where did you get those masks? Those were cool.

24. Darth-Hulk

May 2, 2003
    And we thank you Pete, Bob, and James for your participation. It could not have gone as well without you. We should look to schedule more joint things in the future. Here's to hoping we can!

25. StormLeader

StormLeader Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 29, 2002
    It was a lot of fun. Unfortunately troopers Mark Salazar and Clint Wilson had to work and could not get away in time to do the event, but look forward to helping out next time. Thanks Lisa, Alex, Brent, Marcelles, Pete, James and Bob for a wonderful time.

Jim Marshall
    501st Stormtrooper TK-6411
    Star Garrison Public Relations Officer
    South Texas Squad
    San Antonio, Tx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.