main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Chilla's stuff: Return from Hiatus w/ wallpapers (Jaina, Tenel Ka, Mara/Luke, LotR) page 22

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Chilla, Jul 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chilla

Chilla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Hi,
    I drew Jaina and Mara Fanarts, but I'm a amateur and hope you will comment my pictures or give tips. I have show some of them to my oldest brother what he said was very useful.

http://img49.imageshack.us/img49/7922/marajadepadmeaotc0yo.jpg

I wanted to draw Jaina and thought that Padme in AOTC maybe looks a bit like her, but when I had finished it looked like Mara....[face_worried]

http://img49.imageshack.us/img49/9108/yunharla4ac.jpg

I called this picture "Yun-Harla" cause Jaina looks very evil.

Okay, I think these are the best but you can find more on my homepage. Thanks for taking a look.

2. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Hi Chilla, welcome to the forum. Your pictures are not showing up, so if you are wondering why you aren't getting any replies...

3. Chilla

Jul 30, 2005
    Thanks!
    That's really a problem cause I can see them. Well, okay, I'll try to fix it.

4. jedi-master-faran

jedi-master-faran Jedi Youngling star 2

May 13, 2005
    wat are u talking about? I see them fine.
    Nice job

5. wicktone

wicktone Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2003
    I don't see them either. I'm getting the dreaded 'Image Hosted by Tripod' picture...

6. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Hello Chilla and welcome to Fan Art!

I've heard from a number of other users that Tripod doesn't allow hotlinking to images, so to post up thumbnails here, you may want to try using another hosting service--Image Shack and Photobucket are good ones (both free and both easy to use).

On that note--I went to your site that you listed in your sig and looked through your images--all are very nice! The first one of Jaina is easily my favorite, as it has the most detail, particularly in the eyes--it's apparent that you used a reference for it, as it's well proportioned and the features are placed very realistically. I also like the "shot" of Jaina with her lightsaber ignited, watching the X-wing and coralskipper in battle--kind of like a scene from one of the books. You have a good strong sense of line--you may want to try to do some more shading in your works, as it really helps to "bring out" the subject, giving it volume and space. Hope to see more of your work!

FF

7. Chilla

Jul 30, 2005
    Wow, thanks all.

@FalconFan: Have you seen that I displayed almost all of your pictures? Hope it is okay...
    I think you draw wonderful pictures, the best SW pictures I've ever seen.

I will try to fix it so everybody can see them, but I can't promise it. If you have still problems to see them, go and visit my Homepage.

8. Chilla

Jul 30, 2005
    Now it works. =D=
    Cause Falcon Fan likes it, here the picture with Jaina watching the X-Wing. The X-Wing and the Vong ship are from the cover of Onslaught, i think.

http://img49.imageshack.us/img49/5881/kopievonjaina81hz.jpg

9. dashleebo

dashleebo Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 18, 2003
    Welcome Chilla. :)

I checked out your site. The 'marajadepadme' picture does look like a combination of all three woman. What was the 'original' to this picture btw? It's a good start. I like the eyes the most as they help in determining who's face it actually is. The hair reminded me of Jaina for some reason. Shading really does help in making the face more alike to the character/person. My advice is to start experimenting with shading lightly, and then post a progress shot. Her face looks very flat at the moment, which is why the shading would help. I'll be able to give more help after seeing what picture you were actually trying to draw.

The 'Yun-Harla' one doesn't have as good likeness as the first one, but I can definately see the 'evil look' in her expression which is good.

Everyone's facial features are different, and I know it's difficult to get it right, but after practice you'll get better. I find that looking at more experienced portrait artists can help in understanding how you can improve on yours.

Artists can also go for different effects. One could go for an ultra-realistic version, another person could do a more abstract version of it, and focus on conveying an emotion through pencil strokes instead of thinking about getting every little detail just right. IMO both are good ways of doing art.

The onslaught cover drawing is good. :) Have you ever considered colouring it? That could be fun.. either with real coloured pencils, or on the computer. ;)

I look forward to more of your work. ;) Sorry if I said too much. :p

I enjoy drawing portraits as well, and I hope what I said above helps in some way.

Edited for a typo.

10. Chilla

Jul 30, 2005
    Thanks dashleebo!
    You didn't write too much. It really helps what you said.

Well, I took Padme from AOTC and wanted to change her face so she looks more like Jaina, but I think she looks more like Mara. Cause I like it this way I haven't changed it.

Thanks everybody for visiting my site. I took a look at my visitor counter and was surprised, about 20 visitors more on one day. [face_love]

11. Chilla

Jul 30, 2005
    Well, I've done some wallpapers, do you want to see them?

12. wicktone

wicktone Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2003
    That link with Jaina watching the Xwing works for me now. I like the image a lot, and the idea behind it is very strong.

I agree with DashLeebo that it would look terrific coloured. I think you'd be able to show the depth and atmosphere between Jaina and the ship a lot better with a little colour.

I checked out some of your portraits on the site, and I like what you're doing. I think you have a good foundation and you'll probably pick up a lot of tips for shading and rendering just by hanging around this forum.

13. Chilla

Jul 30, 2005
    Thanks wicktone!
    You are right, I can learn a lot here.
    I'll try to color the picture. It might take some time.

I drew a new Jaina picture last night, but I had problems with her shoes and her legs...

http://img280.imageshack.us/img280/6818/jainawithjedirobe7kw.jpg

14. Corellian_Rogue

Corellian_Rogue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 30, 2001
    Welcome to the boards Chilla! Glad to have you here and hope you feel welcome. Your work is very good, great sense of emotion and ideas. My only comment would be to resize the images if possible. It's hard to get an overall look at the images when they're so big. But that's just me and what I see anyway looks really good.

I agree with other comments that it would be wonderful to see you colour some of these...set yourself the challenge and I'd love to see what you come up with. :) Hope to see some more in the near future.

15. Chilla

Jul 30, 2005
    Thanks very much Corellian_Rouge! :)

My Question again: Do you want to see my wallpapers?

16. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Of course we'll take a look at your wallpapers! Post up the links--we'd love to see them!

Your latest Jaina piece is very good--I really like the expression on her face, and the sort of "annoyed" posture, with her arms crossed (her face is very much how I picture Jaina's appearance, too! ;) ). And as to the feet--lordy, I can't do legs and feet to save my soul either, lol! On that note, don't go strictly by what I'm saying--grab a magazine or catalog with full-body pictures of women in similar poses and really study the positions of their legs and feet. Often, photographs of figures (or studying in threads like DarthZemog or LadySythe--both are accomplished masters at rendering the human figure) can help with perspectives like that. I also like that you've kept her Jedi robes very simple--I just could never imagine Jaina Solo going for a "fru-fru" look! There's a good capture of emotion in this piece, too--I like it a lot! Keep up the good work, and lets see some of those wallpapers!

FF

17. Chilla

Jul 30, 2005
    Thanks very much FF,
    I agree with the robe and her face is really good I think. I drew it last night, sitting on my bed and hearing music.

Okay, here are the wallpapers. I have done them with Photoshop, but unfortunetly I don't understand most of the tools....[face_worried]
    I have all folders on the left side of my desktop, that's the reason why Mara and Jaina are on the right side.

Mara from the cover of Survivors Quest.

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/5820/bytheemperorshand7vr.jpg

Jaina from the cover of destinys way.

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/7154/jainasolo7nf.jpg

This is my Version of a wallpaper done by JChen at Wookiehut.com

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/6356/jainasolo21jx.jpg

Hope you like them. Feel free to use them.

18. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    How did I miss these?? I must have been "head down" on the drawing tablet when these went up--sorry, Chilla!

I like the first one of Jaina best, I think--the colors you used and the "flares" of light surrounding her make me think of how strong she is in the Force. A very nice desktop. It took me a minute to get my head around the face that your icons would be running down the left side of these--doh! I like the first Jaina best of these, though (although that image of Mara is easily one of my favorites from the book covers! ;) ). Nice work (and it's fun to create your own desktop wallpapers, isn't it?

FF

19. Darth_ArsnL

Darth_ArsnL Jedi Youngling star 2

May 26, 2005
    Your wallpapers, have a good sense of appeal, and imedietly draw ur eye to the character, good job. Your drawings, are simple and your effort is evident its always nice to see an artist working hard. The drawings are great, and shading is a good way to give them depth.

Try this:
    Take a picture or portrait of someone and look at where their nose comes forward, how the eyes are set in a little, the curves of the jaw- that when something juts out it leaves shading to the sides or under it, like for example the eyebrows- they jut out a little over the eye, so to show that, you can put a small hint of shading directly above the eye that leads down to the nose.

You have a lot of potential- and you're really great at making posters, covers, and wallpapers.

keep up the good work! :)

Arsnl

20. Chilla

Jul 30, 2005
    Wow, thanks. That really helps!
    @FF: Unfortunetly I haven't got an own computer, but I can use my brother's or Father's. But I think both won't be happy about a SW wallpaper..... My father hasn't even a wallpaper, just the stupid windows-blue background...

Well, here is another Jaina picture. (She is my fav. charcter)
    It a scene of "Star by Star". I think you know which.

http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/7373/jainalightning2gs.jpg

Something is strange about this pic, I think it's her head.

21. Chilla

Jul 30, 2005
    Well, I have finished the coloured version of...you know. Hope it is like you imagend it.

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/9043/jaina8coloured2cp.jpg

I called this wallpaper "The Skywalkers". Unfortunely I forgot to add Ben...

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/2218/skywalkers2edit1po.jpg

Last but not least:
    That's Leia in a comic.

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/3853/leiadasherzderrebellion2kt.jpg

And that's Jaina.

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/8503/jainadasherzderrebellion2qx.jpg

22. dashleebo

dashleebo Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 18, 2003
    Jaina in robes: Shoes look fine to me. :) You've done her hair well. However, those legs do look awkward. She looks like she's out in the cold, or in need of a visit to the toilet. :p The only bad thing I'd have to say about her robes is that they look too 'square-ish' at the bottom.

Mara from the cover of Survivors Quest: I like the way you have the blue blending in with her chest. The colours are interesting, and the hair is funky. :cool:

Jaina from the cover of destinys way: Very nice! :D Jaina looks ready for action, and the colours are really eye-catching and intense. The saber draws attention to the writing too. I really like it.

Version of a wallpaper done by JChen at Wookiehut.com: Great picture. :cool:

Jaina with lightning: I imagined a drift of wind passing through her hair. By the looks of it, she's all ready and posed for an incoming threat. Her head does look a bit odd. The right side might look better if it was a bit more wider. Overall, you drew her well. :)

First coloured version: Wow! Lookin' good! :D The colour has really brought it to life.

The Skywalkers: I like the composition in this work. Very cool effect.

Leia comic: Did you draw/colour all of that? I really like it.

The latest Jaina: The face looks in proportion, her features are good, nice work. It will look even better once it is shaded, if you decide to do that. ;)

23. Chilla

Jul 30, 2005
    No, Leia in the comic was the Original and I've changed it to Jaina. Sorry, I should have reveal it. I displayed it so you know how the Original had looked like.
    But thanks for your comment dashleebo.

Btw: I've tried to shady the pic of Jaina with her lightsaber, the X-Wing and the skip. You can see it clearly at her pullover.
    When I did the pic, I found out that the X-Wing was from the cover of "The Krytos Trap"....

24. Chilla

Jul 30, 2005
    Okay, I've coloured and....hm....whatever is the past form of shady....the last Jaina picture.

http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/7194/jainadasherzderrebellioncolour.jpg

Btw: @Dashleebo: that's with the toilet is EXACTLY what I thought after I had finished the picture.

25. Chilla

Jul 30, 2005
    hehehe, have something for TwilekJedi.....

http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/4547/twilekjedi1wl.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.