main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Chilla's stuff: Return from Hiatus w/ wallpapers (Jaina, Tenel Ka, Mara/Luke, LotR) page 22

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Chilla, Jul 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chilla

Chilla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Hm....new wallpaper. Thx to Faofa, he told me how to use some Photoshop tools. I'm quite happy with that.

Twins (800x600)

2. Chilla

Jul 30, 2005
    Just done another wallpaper. (800x600)

Mara Jade Skywalker

But somehow I'm not that happy with this one.

3. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Jedi_Commander_Faofa Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2003
    What are you not happy about with it?

I think that the fact that there are other figures in that picture, such as half of Nom Anor's head, a Barabel, and Tekli might be throwing off the focus of the work, which is Mara Jade. I really like the font on this work. It works really well. What is the name of it?

4. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Hey Chilla--some very nice updates here! I especially like the "Twins" piece--two of my favorite images of Jacen and Jaina! The horizontal "scoring" in the piece almost makes it look like a hologram in a way--very interesting! The Mara piece has some lovely images, but I think Jedi_Commander_Faofa has a point about the "extra heads" and parts of heads in there--eliminating those might improve the composition of this one. I like the three views of her, each facing a slightly different direction--a nice arrangement! And I like that font, too! Nice to see some new things--been doing any drawing, btw...?

FF

5. Chilla

Jul 30, 2005
    The font is a photoshop font called "Monotype Corsiva".

And you are right, - as always! - the heads are a bit irritating. Maybe I should change that.

drawings.....*sighs* Have less time now, but maybe I'll start drawing something.

btw: Got my english exam back. mark/grade: 2 (we germans have marks from 1 to 6, 1 is very good and 6 is very bad.) :)

6. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Mar 17, 2003
    Yeah, I learned a while back how they grade things overseas in Germany and such. Much different than they do here in the US. Congrats on the exam score! I'm guessing 2 is good, right? :)

I'll have to look into that font... I have it, I've never used it..

7. Chilla

Jul 30, 2005
    Yes, 2 is good. I didn't know the three advertisement strategies your teacher wanted to know, just two - a slogan and a jingle...... :rolleyes: So I'm very happy about it.

Have a look, I noticed that you use one font all the time, Faofa. :) (but it looks good)

8. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    You have picked some great Mara pics to include. You got to love the Japanese book covers!

If you want some advice I would say try to clean up the background a bit. Get rid of the stuff behind the Mara in the center. Another thing you might want to do is try to soften the boarders between the three pics of Mara so they blend together better. You might want to use the clone brush to fill in the parts of Mara's hair that is missing. Maybe put in a star background or something.

I worked at it for a few minutes to show you what I mean. http://img369.imageshack.us/img369/4681/mjs9pe.jpg

It is a good start. With more practice you learn all kinds of cool shortcuts and tricks.

AG88

9. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Mar 17, 2003
    Are you talking about my LOTR work? If so, you are correct in that instance. But there is a reason for that. The wallpapers in that series are supposed to share characteristics with each other. The font I use for those is a common-speak Elvish font.

10. Chilla

Jul 30, 2005
    Ah, okay. Makes sense. I thought that you just loved that font and used it everytime, cause it looked so good.

11. Chilla

Jul 30, 2005
  12. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Mar 17, 2003
    A few things about this.

I really like the sun that is in the pic. Did you do that in Photoshop? It's nice. And the stars look fitting too.

I like the selection of the characters, interesting mix (I don't know what the story's about though...), but there are a few things that I think you may want to fix. Jacen's face is faded way too much off to the left; you might want to show more of his face in there, and maybe just blur/fade the bottom of his head into the background. Also, the green stuff with the Vong off to the right of her face looks a bit out of place; maybe if you got rid of that all-together, it would look more fitting to the image. Also, you could maybe change the green to red, yellow, or orange, like it's reflecting the sun on it. Just a thought.

The text is faded too much too. You may want to bring out the title a bit more; the O in Of looks fine, because the sun is there and it's fitting to fade it because it's right next to this very bright object. But I think you may need to fix the word Love, because you can hardly see it in the work; it blends too much into the black.

If you choose to fix those parts, I think that this could end up looking better than it does now. :) Nice layout though! I hope to see more of it.

13. Chilla

Jul 30, 2005
    Thx, Faofa. I wasn't so happy about the text either. (And I already used two text layers....)
    The background is part of a picture I found on the homepage of the NASA.......Hope that I won't get trouble for using it.....
    background (I had to resize it, it was 3000x2500!)

14. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Hey Chilla! Interesting fan fiction cover here--is that Nen Yim, the Yuuzhan Vong shaper from the novels? Hmmm.... ;)

I think Jedi_Commander_Faofa has some great suggestions for this--you might also want to include a little something between them, perhaps--it looks a bit "stark" in there. Another solution might be to simply move the images closer together, so there's a bit less of a chasm between them. Is this a story you wrote, or that someone else did? I might have to wander over to Fan Fiction and check this out! ;)

FF

15. Chilla

Jul 30, 2005
    Hi FF!
    Thanks! Yes, it's Nen Yim. But I didn't write the story, Vongchild did. There should be a link to the story on my homepage (link in my sig) , on the fanfiction page is a summary.

And I have an old drawing of Leia. It's not very good, but I like it. Do you want to see it?

16. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Yes--I'd love to see the Leia piece! Post up, and we'll take a look!

FF

17. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Mar 17, 2003
    Post Leia drawing please. :)

18. Chilla

Jul 30, 2005
    Isn't very good. Especiall the hair is bad, but I love it. It's more than a half year old. (my fanart at that time was bad)

Leia

My little brother (7 years old) has done a Star Wars picture:

Fanart

(The strange round thing on the fighter with the orange lasers is R2-D2.....)

19. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    That's a wonderful drawing of Leia, Chilla! I really like the sketchiness of it--the bold and spare lines show a sureness of hand--very nice! The likeness is actually very close, particularly in the eyes and the nose (and I myself have always had a rough time drawing Carrie Fisher's mouth--it's tough to get it "just right!"). I like this very much, and you might consider going back and doing some shading on this one, to fill it out. I think it'd be even lovelier if you did!

And your little bro certainly has a lot going on in his drawing: starfighters in atmosphere, Jedi and Sith, and even an Imperial walker thrown in! Everything is very clear and easy to identify, though--he's done a good job with that! I can see concept art in his future! ;)

Thanks for sharing the drawing, Chilla--it's a very good piece (and is actually "complete" in its current form--working on it some more is, of course, your option). Hope we can see some new pieces soon! :D

FF

20. Chilla

Jul 30, 2005
    Thank you very very much, FalconFan.
    I think "Planet of Twilight" was my reference for Leia, but I love it even more than the cover.

21. Chilla

Jul 30, 2005
    Okay, three new wallpapers:

I Still Remember
    Cover for the fic I'm working on. The man on the right side is Zekk. I tried to show his feelings with the colors.

Solo Twins
    I know, the colors....green and blue don't fit very well together.

Sword Of The Jedi
    My favorite wallpaper. :) Very proud of it.

22. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Mar 17, 2003
    Chilla, yay, new stuff!

I Still Remember - Hmm.. I don't know what it is about it, but it just doesn't appeal to my eye here. Maybe it's because of the bright blue haze around red planets, and the purple too. I guess it depends on what story you're writing, maybe it has to deal with that. Now for Zekk; what did you do to filter him up? Also, what feelings were you trying to show by using the filters on him? It looks just kinda blurry to me. Also, I think a good way to enhance the work is bring Jaina out more, she's faded too much. One thing I REALLY like is the font. Awesome!! What is the font name for that? I also like the background with the planets; did you get that off of NASA's site? :D Anywho, just some of my thoughts on it.

Solo Twins - You're getting better at making wallpapers Chilla. This one is arranged really well. I love the pic of Leia with the twins. Where did you get that pic? It's nice. You used a good font for this piece too. One thing you might want to fix is the fading on Jaina's sleeve. Looks like a ghost next to Leia. Other than that, good work! :)

Sword Of The Jedi - My favorite wallpaper of yours as well. :D Did you get the high def pictures of Jaina? Cause those turned out really well. I remember trying to resize Jaina photos from stuff I had off of the Japanese covers, they didn't turn out well. You did a great job with the Jaina photos here. One trick though about sizing pics; if you get them big, they will have the color dots on there, as this wallpaper has. So, what you might want to experiment with is Gaussian Blur, to blur out those dots. Experimenting is how you learn. :) The text looks cool with this. Only thing is that it's hard to read at some portions of it. One other thing, I'd get rid of the person's head behind pilot Jaina on the left. That detracts from the image some; just brush over it. Other than that though, congrats on this cool wallpaper! =D= I love seeing people improve.

23. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Hey Chilla! New stuff--kewl! :cool:

These look great--I think my favorite of them is the Solo Twins, though--the images you used for it are just wonderful! I agree with Jedi_Commander_Faofa that in "I Still Remember" the colors may be a bit too vivid, and the images of the individuals are just a bit too "diffuse." If you brought down the color saturation just a touch, and sharpened up the faces I think it would help. I don't have much to suggest on "The Solo Twins"--I love that image of Leia with the babies, and the picture of the older twins is very expressive of their rapid introduction to the adventurous life that their parents always knew... A wonderful wallpaper! And I also like "Sword of the Jedi"--again, two of my favorite images of Jaina. I also think that the "remains" of the head behind pilot Jaina needs to be faded out or eliminated in some way--parts of bodies, faces or heads "attached to" the primary images can be distracting, and should be minimized to the greatest degree possible. The compositon is good, though, and I think it's a great wallpaper too! Nice job on these!

FF

24. Chilla

Jul 30, 2005
    Thanks for the comments, you two! [:D]

I Still Remember: It's a songfic about Zekk and Jaina. Jaina has left him and the colors show the chaos he feels. (I woudn't use it as a background.) And I wanted to have this shadow on Jaina's face cause you only find out that she was the woman who left him at the end of the story........
    Hm.....the fonts was propably one of the 200 my big brother has downloaded....... :rolleyes: (You can imagine it takes you hours to decide which font to use)
    The background was a picture of Coruscant I found by searching with google.

Solo Twins: A ghost? Oh, then I should really fix it.

Sword Of The Jedi: To be honest, I love these color dots on the japanese wallpapers......
    Difficult to read.......And I already dublicated the text layer....... :rolleyes:

25. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Mar 17, 2003
    I understand completely. ;) I have well over 200 I think. Takes me a LONG time to find what I want.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.