main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Chimera (Luke, Mara, Dark AU) Updated 11/22, Epilogue

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by JadeLotus, Sep 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    Title: Chimera
    Author: JadeLotus
    Rating: PG
    Category: Angst, Drama, AU
    Characters: Luke Skywalker, Mara Jade, Emperor Palpatine, Han Solo others.
    Summary He is a bearing, he is a dwelling, he is a messenger. A composite of parts not yet made whole. A trickster in a new trade.

A/N: A sequel/expansion of a vignette I?ve written, Trickster. The scenario pretty much is that the Death Star blew up Yavin and ended the Rebellion, and Luke never completed his Force training. He?s been making his living as a magician ? until he is found by the Empire. Darth Vader reveals to him the truth about being his father, and begins to train him. However, he dies shortly afterwards, extracting a promise from Luke for revenge.

The quotes preceding each chapter are taken from the book ?The Last Unicorn? by Peter S Beagle, or from the 1982 film.

Prologue

"Death takes what man would keep" said the Butterfly, "And leaves what man would lose".

The Force resonates with the sensation of it. It is much more than a ripple, or a mere disturbance. It is a tearing of the Force itself. The sound of the unexpected, of factors unseen coming to play within the framework of destiny. Of a hope found and lost so easily, of the death knell sounding.

It is a sonata of pain, of misery, of defiance. Of loss.

It is the sound of decay ? of a prophesy dying.

Master Yoda feels it, in his self-imposed exile. The swamps of Dagobah begin to churn, as the mist thickens. The Jedi sits in his small hut, and allows the tress of grow around him, the vines to weave throughout his small home.

Yoda has long been prepared for death, but it will not come to him. He keeps daily council with Obi-Wan, but they are more inclined to reminisce than to plan strategy. His young friend has long believed that there is still hope, that it was not destroyed with Yavin. And for a long time, Yoda disagreed. The Force had made its choice, and it was not in their favour.

But feeling the change in the Force, the shifting of time and space, Yoda begins to mediate. He begins to think, to believe.

He wonders if perhaps it is time to seek out the boy.

The Emperor feels it, from the bridge of his Death Star in orbit around Corellia. He had foreseen this, of course. Vader had been strong once, and his will had still been there, but his body had become a mere illusion, so fused to the life-giving machinery that he could hardly be considered a man. Controlling Vader, bringing him into the Emperor?s service had been so easy, after all, it had hardly challenged his supreme powers. He?d held such a tight rein on Vader that he hadn?t a thought in his head not without the Emperor?s knowledge and influence.

He hadn?t even realised the boy he?d had brought to Coruscant had been his son. The Emperor smiles to himself, relishing the moment. He?d felt it in the boy the moment he?d laid eyes on him. Luke Skywalker was his father reborn. Ready to mould and create as Palpatine saw fit. He was older now, and his strength in the Force was diminished, it was true. But still, the boy presented endless possibilities. And, perhaps, the Skywalker blood would run through another?s veins. Another Skywalker, another child would provide immeasurable opportunities.

Smiling, he gives the order to fire.

Han Solo feels nothing, not even the sting of loneliness that has so often haunted him in the past years. He no longer even feels the emptiness of the co-pilot?s seat, the absence of a hearty roar of disapproval. The odds had finally fallen against him, obliterating his well-cultivated luck.

He tells himself that what happened at Yavin wasn?t his fault ? that nothing he could have done would have changed things, or saved the rebels. But sometimes he thinks of the young kid, so hopeful and pure, and the princess, with

2. Briman

Briman Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 8, 2004
    This has the making for something very good, you've got my interest :)

3. Golden_Jedi

Golden_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    I'm interested too!
    At least Han is still alive... What about Leia?

Will you throw PM upon updates?

4. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    :eek:

Holy mackerel....wow, J.L.! You just get better and better, don't you? This is AMAZING. I love how you went through all those POVs...excellent work! I can't wait to see where this leads...Trickster was wonderful, so I know this will be an intersting ride! I can't wait for more!

=D=

5. MirandaFair

MirandaFair Jedi Master star 4

Jun 13, 2005
    Ask and ye shall receive! *does the happy dance* [face_dancing]

*simmers down* I'm beyond excited to see where the sequel goes.

You answered the question of where in the galaxy is Han Solo. I often thought that had he not returned to help in the fight against the Death Star, and if the rebels had failed there would be a guilt raging inside him. I hope there will be redemption for our favorite Fly Boy.

Loved Selano! She really has my interest! Intriguing ..."most favoured Hand". Sounds like when Selano and Mara meet, some life-changing discoveries will be made. Wicked![face_worried]

As Ginchy said, the points of view covered was done excellently. Nice flow to it all.

Absolutely love this story so far and I always look forward to reading your work, JL. Keep it up. Eagerly waiting for more. =D= (If you're sending PMs, please put me on the list.)

6. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Great start, Jade! =D=

7. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    bummer

8. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Yeeps!! You weren't kidding about "Dark AU."

She feels Skywalker?s grief, she who had not felt anything in so long. A vicious pain rips through her, bleeds into her, at the death of the Dark Lord.

She watches silently as Skywalker whispers to the shell, the prison of Lord Vader, and his face is determined, hateful, even as a lone tear escapes his darkened eyes. As he clutches Lord Vader?s lightsaber tightly in his hand, and makes a promise to that which is dead.

I'd hate to be whoever crosses Luke's path right now...... [face_worried]

9. JadeLotus

Mar 27, 2005
    Briman - Thank you :)

Golden_Jedi - Thanks!
    Will you throw PM upon updates?
    No problem :)

ginchy - [:D] It did have a lot of povs - but I wanted to get all the major players in :) As always, thanks so much for the feedback.

MirandaFair - Thank you :D
    You answered the question of where in the galaxy is Han Solo.I hope there will be redemption for our favorite Fly Boy
    When I orginally concieved it, he was just going to have a cameo, but that wouldn't do at all, would it? As for redemption... ;) I'm glad you liked Selano - she'll be my first OC, so, *crosses fingers* Thanks for reading!

rhonderoo - Thanks! :)

RedGold - :confused: :D

Jedi Trace - Thank you!
    You weren't kidding about "Dark AU"
    Nope :p Lots of angsty sithly goodness ahead. You get to see how Luke reacts in the next chapter. Thanks for reading!

If anyone else would like to be added to the PM list, just ask. :)

10. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Wow... very dark, very powerful and very moving... Looks great, Jade!

Please add me to your PM list, so I don't loose track of this one!

11. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Woo!! Correlia destroyed by the Death Star and Chewbacca not around --what changes! And where is Leia? I want PM's, too, please. This is too "out of the box." Nothing like anywhere. :-,

12. penguininpink

penguininpink Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2005
    You've sure got ahold of my interest!

Who is this Selano gal? Can't wait to hear more about her.

May I be added to the PM list? [face_batting]

13. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I can't beleive I missed this earlier! :oops: Looking forward to more! =D=

14. JadeLotus

Mar 27, 2005
    Idrelle_Miocovani - Thank you :) I've never written anything this dark before, so i'm hoping for the best.

Jade_eyes - Thanks! You can credit VaderLVR for the premise :) I agree, it's way out there! Unfortunately Leia died at Yavin (without Luke ever finding out she was his sister, I might add ;))

penguininpink - Thank you! You'll get a better idea of who Selano is in the later chapters, she's an...interesting character, alright. ;)

VaderLVR64 - Thanks! Great to have you reading :)

15. MirandaFair

Jun 13, 2005
    Just an encouraging "I can't wait for Chapter One" UP!

[face_batting]

16. lindemacil

lindemacil Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2005

Oh, excellent! I'm so pleased to see that Trickster was just the beginning. An emotional start, very nice. And I still love the LU references. May I be put on the PM list, please? Since I hardly ever come to the Beyond board, I'm afraid I'll miss updates, and I wouldn't want that. :D

17. JadeLotus

Mar 27, 2005
    MirandaFair - Thanks :) I'm working on Chapter 1 now.

lindemacil - Thank you - its nice to find some other TLU fans! Thanks for the reply, i'll add you to the list :)

18. JadeLotus

Mar 27, 2005
    Chapter 1

"Great heroes need great sorrows and burdens, or half their greatness goes unnoticed."

Mara Jade was not a woman of emotions. She had been raised that way from the first ? that grief, sympathy, kindness, hope, any such sentiments were indicative only of weakness itself. She had believed it, too. Every core of her being, every day that she lived, that she grew, was an affirmation of her strength, of her ability. Every feeling she suppressed, every sensation of sorrow, or regret, or shame that she ignored and concealed fuelled her unrelenting drive.

In her youth she was passionate and angry, as youth often is. But her Master squeezed every last drop of human emotion, the quick-witted tongue, the fiery temper, the reluctance to kill ? he bleed them all out of her. Mara was not bothered by her lack of what the Rebels called humanity, because she believed herself to be something better than human. A machine of divinity, perhaps, and avenging creature of the night ? expunging the galaxy of the impure, the undeserving. The traitorous. She played the part he had taught her and she never questioned her role. She had not the will nor the humanity left to question ? or to feel.

Perhaps that was why it didn?t hurt when she was replaced. It was sudden, the Emperor discarding her so swiftly, praising her for her impeccable service on the one hand and ushering her out the door with the other. She had to understand, she was told, that the young must be given a chance to serve, as well. To prove themselves. It sounded right from the Emperor?s lips, but then, everything did. Every word he said was her divine mandate ? her role only to listen and obey.

Mara knew she should feel anger at her treatment ? and her reduced station. No longer did she travel off-world, or live in such fine apartments high above the city. Her quarters were still in the Imperial Palace, but below ground, wallowing in the darkness with the rest of those who had outlived their usefulness. She wanted for nothing, but her life was diminished ? forced to work in the prisons. She had power there, but it did little good. She was administrative, now, living a ghostly, distant life, interacting only with the guards under her, the prisoners she catalogued and kept.

There was no satisfaction to be gleaned from her existence. In the beginning she had tried to remind herself that her charges were enemies of the Empire, that she was still vital to its security, but even in her mind, the words seemed empty. It had been years since she?d tried to find meaning to it all. Years since she?d even cared.

The hurt, the pain ? it was there, Mara was sure. But she had forgotten how to recognise it, to feel it. It was simply another distant pang in her deadened, numbed heart.

Which was why she was confounded by the sight in front of her. She?d come back to retrieve the magician, as Lord Vader had ordered, but instead found him sprawled on the ground, unmoving. Dead, she realised. This in itself did not surprise her ? the entire palace knew that Vader?s health had not been good. That it was only a matter of time before he succumbed. What confused Mara was the sight of her latest prisoner ? the magician, the wizard ? cradling the corpse of the Sith Lord in his arms. He was the image of utter despair, his face full of a pain she couldn?t even try to understand.

What was more ? she felt it, through the Force. Her skills in that area had always been limited ? her ability full of finesse and efficiency, but no real understanding or power. Not the power that her Emperor wielded, for that Lord Vader exuded. It had been years since she?d even used the Force, like so many other mainstays of her former life, it had been buried, discarded as useless and redundant.

But she felt the magician?s pain ? the hot, burning sting that coursed through his veins, and now hers. The deep throbbing ache that penetrated her guarded mind ? sorrow at the death of the Dark Lord. It was not h

19. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    ooooo.... interesting take on the AU... love your descrip of Mara.... coolies

20. Anakins_Force

Anakins_Force Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2005

Please put me on your PM list.

I love this. It's so haunting and wow, what an AU.

Perhaps that was why it didn?t hurt when she was replaced. It was sudden, the Emperor discarding her so swiftly, praising her for her impeccable service on the one hand and ushering her out the door with the other. She had to understand, she was told, that the young must be given a chance to serve, as well. To prove themselves. It sounded right from the Emperor?s lips, but then, everything did. Every word he said was her divine mandate ? her role only to listen and obey.

Poor Mara and poor Luke. I'm thinking they need to take out old Palpatine pretty soon to pay him back for what he's done.

I love you description of Mara--it makes sense that she's willing to help Luke after she's been reduced to a useless postion. Great update!

21. Golden_Jedi

Golden_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    Thank you for tha PM!

This was amazing, Jade! I love this version of Luke and Mara!

I can't wait to read more about them.

22. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    Intriguing beginning. I'll be watching for more.

23. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Wows! :eek:

That description of Mara... brilliant! :D

24. MirandaFair

Jun 13, 2005

=D= @};-

JadeLotus, wonderful start. Enjoyed Luke and Mara's interaction...and Luke knowing her name, etc...very interesting! Cool!

Your descriptions always leave me speechless. I just love the detail, the insight and the blending of everything.

Mara Jade was not a woman of emotions. She had been raised that way from the first ? that grief, sympathy, kindness, hope, any such sentiments were indicative only of weakness itself. She had believed it, too. Every core of her being, every day that she lived, that she grew, was an affirmation of her strength, of her ability. Every feeling she suppressed, every sensation of sorrow, or regret, or shame that she ignored and concealed fuelled her unrelenting drive.

Beautiful. Perfect. And oh so true. =D= Well done! More soon, please? [face_batting]

25. JadeLotus

Mar 27, 2005
    RedGold - Thank you. I'm glad you like Mara - she's a little...different in this fic.

Anakins_Force - Don't worry - they'll have plans for good old Palps [face_devil] I'm glad you like Mara as well - her relationship with Luke will be a little strange as well. Thanks so much for the reply!

Golden_Jedi - Thank you. It's different from anything i've ever done, so I hope to have fun with the two of them ;)

Jedi-2B - Thanks!

Idrelle_Miocovani - Thank you :) I'm happy Mara's gone over so well.

MirandaFair - Thanks so much - there will be more L/M interaction to come. I'll try to get some more written soon :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.