main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC China to build world's tallest skyscraper... in 90 days

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    [​IMG]

How to Build the World's Tallest Skyscraper in 90 Days

A Chinese company thinks it has simplified the construction process so much that it can build the world's tallest skyscraper in 90 days. ​

Broad Sustainable Building Corporation will lay the foundation for their "Sky City" project this month. The company, famous for building tall buildings in ridiculously short time spans, plans to construct a 220-story skyscraper in 90 days, with construction starting in January and finishing in March. Sky City, if successful, will be 10 meters higher than the current tallest skyscraper, the Burj Khalifa in Dubai. ​

How do they plan on doing it? BSB eschews architectural beauty for simplicity. Their building are tall and block-y. They essentially make buildings out of lego blocks, but in real life. The National Post has a nice graph explaining how they plan on achieving their 90 day goal. "Traditional construction is chaotic," BSB chairman Zhang Yue recently told Wired magazine. "We took construction and moved it into the factory." BSB prepares the pieces offsite and then brings everything together so it slides in easily when construction begins, exactly like Lego blocks. By breaking everything down into simple blocks piled on top of one another, it allows them to build at an amazing pace -- their goal for Sky City is 5 stories a day. ​

Don't think they're coming out of the woodwork to try this, either. BSB already constructed a 30 story building in 15 days.​

Once completed, Sky City will contain low-income housing, luxury condos, a hospital, a school, and retail space. And, BSB claims, it'll be strong enough to resist a 9.0 magnitude earthquake. In theory, if a grocery store moves into one the retail spaces, you could be born in Sky City and never have to leave.

http://news.yahoo.com/build-worlds-tallest-skyscraper-90-days-213548067.html

If this works, I hope the U.S. learns how to do this.

It seems to take 10 years to build a simple bridge over the train tracks around here (and no one ever sees construction workers actually at work around here either).

2. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    This isn't real.

3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Lol when I got home the other day for the holiday I noticed the bridge over the highway was finally completed after so long. :p

That'd be really cool if they could do that. While I do appreciate cool architectural designs (living in NYC is great for that) I am intrigued by this process. Reminds me of the world of Judge Dredd.

4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    A 9.0 earthquake? I gotta say I'm a bit skeptical. That's far beyond what any building codes require and is usually seen as cost-prohibitive and unnecessary (9.0 earthquakes are very rare and usually only happen in certain parts of the world) at best, if not extremely difficult to achieve.

I'm too lazy to do more research on "Sky City" at this time of night. The .pdf the article links to is in poor English and seems to be part bull***. I'm glad it provides low-income housing and public services, but how will the owner turn a profit (including the aforementioned earthquake proofing)? Is this just contributing to China's already-massive real estate bubble?

6. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 26, 2004
    blatant showing off. I hope they fail spectacularly. Like with North Korea and those taepadongs. Cause at least once a year I need an excuse to laugh at asia. At least there will always be trampling deaths during religious pilgrimages.

7. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Yes, because in the West, no one ever invests in prestige projects, also known as showing off. :rolleyes: I would like them to succeed, but I sadly don't think they're going to.

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  8. Hero of Tukayyid

Hero of Tukayyid Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 23, 2012
    What are they going to call if it succeds? Please don't name it after Mao.

9. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    If one could put a vertical farm in that, or else just use that surrounding park-like area as greenhouse farmland, and you have a nice self sufficent city within a city. Solar power would help too. Coruscant here we come!

10. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I doubt any building is truely earthquake resistant, most of them will fall down if tremors are strong enough. I'd be willing to bet that in order to build something that big that fast corners will be cut or engineering will not be as good as in the west. If that is the case, no way will it survive any strong earthquakes.

This desire to create massively tall buildings seems to be a new and much cheaper space-race, just a big posturing contest by nations to try and outdo each other. China would be better off making more affordable housing for its vast general population then maybe it wouldn't have so many empty areas.

11. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    Reminds me of that one South Park episode where the Japanese built a super-elaborate ladder to heaven pretty much out of nowhere, which later ended up just being a cheap set.

DarthTunick likes this.