main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga China to show all 6 SW films for the first time

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by AndyLGR, May 26, 2015.

1. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    thejeditraitor and enigmaticjedi like this.
  2. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I love how they feel the need to point out "Hey! These movies have Mark, Carrie, and Harrison again! You know, unlike those movies set before their characters were born"

I do wonder which versions of the films they'll be

3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I just hope the Chinese are wise enough to show them in the right order.

*grabs a big bucket of popcorn*

4. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

I'm sure it'll be digital and print copies of the 2011 Blu-Ray set.

5. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    The PT was in the shown in China when it came out, but this will be the first time for the OT.

6. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I don't think order matters. I simply hope they are received well.

7. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    Well, the article goes on to clarify that home video copies of the OT have been available in China for years. So it's not like this will represent the country's first-time exposure to that trilogy. In any event...
    So, there ya go. The studio is currently in the midst of constructing their mega Shanghai Disney Resort, the first in mainland China, set to open during Spring of next year at an estimated to cost of somewhere around $10 billion upon completion. They've already announced a live-action version of their own Mulan, further looking to ensure this growing overseas investments by sweetening up to their Chinese demographics. Expanding the package with their recently acquired universe of Star Wars media in the form of a celebratory theatrical run is just sound business; one more consumer attraction to add to their theme park.

AndyLGR likes this.
  8. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    China has a limit as to how many foreign films can be shown in theaters each year. In any case the new SW is sure to be among them. And let's not forget the "black market". Both OT and PT movies used to be widely available on DVD for many years there. I wouldn't say the average Chinese knows much about SW but for those that were interested the whole saga has been available for very little money. Things have changed in recent years, but around 2004 the OT box set could be found everywhere in China, as bootleg of course. I lived in China when both Episodes II and III came out. It was great that there were no lines at all at movie theaters. I watched Sith right the day it was first released and there were about 5 other people in the theater with me. There was some promotion for AotC in a clothing chain store, where they had huge posters and sold SW t shirts. At that time you would see lots of people wearing those shirts. It was a kind of trend; I'm sure no one had much of an idea what it was about. Anyway that's how I found out there was a new SW coming.[face_whistling]

Darkslayer likes this.
  9. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    So it sounds like TFA might be the most successful SW in China if Disney invests into promotion.

10. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Then perhaps they may keep a bit more of an open mind.

Darkslayer and mes520 like this.
  11. Straudenbecker

Straudenbecker Jedi Master star 3

Nov 22, 2015
    Hong Kong has screened all the films on released. Mainland China only screened the PT I believe, but the OT has been on the black-market for decades.

12. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    They better be in order 1 2 3 4 5 6 7