main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Phx Chinese on the moon in a decade?

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Idiots Array, May 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Idiots Array

Idiots Array Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 3, 2000
  2. mrbunny666

mrbunny666 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 23, 2002
    Oh yeah?

Well...

I smell your brain!

3. liquido

liquido Jedi Youngling star 2

May 16, 2002
    Isn't it ironic that the threat of Chinese space dominance was ignored in the message boards just as the article predicts? Americans are so short-term future oriented that all they can see is a been-there, done-that opportunity. And Americans wonder why so many people around the world hate them....

4. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost star 5

Dec 15, 2002
    And, the Koreans are probably building up their nuclear power, not to kill us all, but to thumb their nose at us and say, Hah! We can go to space too!!!

So, things aren't as bad as they seem, because, probably, the only way other nations want to "get even" with us, is to accomplish things that we've done. Even 09-01-01 is an example. We bombed hiroshima, so, they're just copying us!!!!! But sometimes copying can be deadly, so, the best way to solve this, is by using peaceful actions and negotiations. Have the other nations copy THAT!!!

BTW, that is way cool that other nations can do what we can do. I wish them luck.

5. Lord_Reaper

Lord_Reaper Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 8, 2002
    What happened on 9-01-01?
    Because thats a few years to late for the strike upon hiroshima and nagasaki by fat man and little boy respectively. It's funny however, that in the japanese museum of it, they have the wrong bombs placed on the wrong cities. The total deathtoll of those weapons was nearly a million. That was only a 10 and 8 kiloton device. Most devices now range in the 10-20 megaton range. The largest ever was blown off in russia at 54 Megatons! (correct me if I'm wrong void, I think we have the same source on this)

6. VoidDancer

VoidDancer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 13, 2002
    I think he means 9-11-01. The two bombs were 15kt (little boy, uraniam gun device) and 20kt (fatman, plutonium implosion mirrors). The largest ever set off in or out of atmosphere is a russian device, appx 58 megatons. To be honest I don't know what the average MIRV wardhead yield is...I haven't looked into it in a while and forgot.

I actually think positive things of the Chinese on the moon. There's a chance they could try to militarize it or privately claim part of it, but I doubt it. Their greatest ally and protector is Russia, and that country is so money strapped that they wouldn't be able to keep up. So they'd put huge pressure on China (not to mention the rest of the world) to prevent that from happening.

Next, it would generate more competition to get back into space. "We got there, we're the only ones that REALLY got there and walked around, so we have to maintain out dominance" will be the public perception I think. This will have the net effect of spurring on space development, getting the new Venture Star Shuttle program reactivated, and push proto-colonization efforts. (Who says pride is always a bad thing).

All of that would have the technology filter down in a few years plus boost the technology sector and aerospace sector. Now there is no way the world governments will be able to handle a new space race, so in come the private companies. Costs go down, more gets done, I get to be a space tourist in a few decades :D Seriously it will follow the regular market pattern of drifting from the scarcity side to the surplus side over time and give the world the serious kick in the pants it needs to take space seriously again.

7. harpm1

harpm1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 19, 2002
    Just got back from New Mexico this weekend and went to the Space Museum in Alamogordo. Very cool stuff. They have a "spent" V2 rocket there along with a ton of other Nasa stuff and Missles. They even have the famous Rocket Sled on display.

Anyway, my father-in-law (whom we were visiting) thinks we never went to the Moon and it was all a big cover up and why else have we never gone back.

Yeah, I think he's a little out there too.

Anyway, if the Chinese do colonize the moon that's a little sad considering we could have done that thirty years ago. Currently we don't even have a vehicle to get us there and supposedly the blueprints for the Saturn V were destroyed by agreement in order to fund the Space Shuttle program. I, for one, doubt they actually destroyed "all" the plans.

I agree with Void, bring in the private sector and let them run with it.

8. VoidDancer

Feb 13, 2002
    I love the people that say it's a cover up :)

The blueprints may be destroyed. Give it to any university and they'll have a better version in 2 months anyway. I doubt the chinese will colonize anytime soon, but if it looks that way, I hope it will encourage us.

The private sector is positively drooling over zero-g, totally pefect, crystals...the size of what will grow in low gravity hydroponic gardens...superconducting manufacturing that doesn't have to be cooled with huge cryogenic plants, just exposed to the outside. They just don't have the excuse to start justifying that much money to the stockholders. I hope this is it.

9. wardenx

wardenx Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 23, 2003
    Well put, biscuit-boy. We should definitely be there on the moon, waiting for the Chinese when they get there. Buy them a beer and congratulate them heartily with a slap on the back and a sly wink, welcoming them to the next level of technological advancment. LOL
    But, we should be there, for no other reason than the fact that the Chinese won't just let it go with being there. They will send launch after launch to the moon to establish a huge presence there that we would be hard pressed to unseat. And who's to say that there won't suddenly be territories established? What then? Before long we have the same situation up there that we have here: people fighting and dying for a piece of dirt. But, up there, we don't have to worry about destroying the environment or disrupting the eccosystem so the gloves come off. Out come the big guns. Then there is the potential for battles fought over resources, the ecconomic repercussions of cheap H3 in the hands of one political entity and the launching platform that a moon base would provide for both further space exploration (and the advantages that would provide for said political entity) and for the militarily superior position it would offer. Such a military advantage would cause no end of upheaval in the global arena. It would make me a little worried. Hell, I'd be a little worried even if WE were the only ones to be there.
    Which is why I think it should definitely be a joint effort on our part with the rest of our allies. That way, no one country can lay claim to the rights or glory.

10. Lord_Reaper

Lord_Reaper Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 8, 2002
    I think it'd be great if we covertly set up a small base a half mile off from their landing destination, and when they got out of the ship to walk on the moon, our astronauts drive up, shake their hands and say "Welcome to the moon, we're glad you could finally make it" or something along those lines just to rub it in their faces. Hahah, like if it were reps from Coca-Cola or something!
    "Follow us chinamen, we'll show you the perfect superconducting coca-cola crystals, we've created over the past 8 years we were waiting for your arrival"

11. VoidDancer

Feb 13, 2002
    can you imagine the quality of zero-g rock candy............

:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.