main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chipped DV Tapes?

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Ptx, May 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ptx

Ptx Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 19, 2000
    Hey guys, I KNOW some of you here can answer this one.

What is the benefit of using a dv tape with a chip? What does it store? Is this common to all camcorders/mini dv devices? Will a sony deck read a chip that was recorded to a Canon camera?

Is there any point to all this?

If any of you know Dataton control systems, how does the chip benefit this?

Thanks

Pete

2. BrentK7

BrentK7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 20, 2000
    i know that one use is: some cammeras (mostly higher end cams) have a button next to the record button and when you click it it flags that exact point in time on the timecode and stores the info on the chip, then when it is captured to the computer you can go in and skip around to the different flagged posistions. A guy i know uses this and clicks the little button everytime they have a good take, that way in the computer he just has to go straight to that take and doesn't have to watch them all over again to find the good one.

that is 1 use i know of for the chips.

3. NickLong

NickLong Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    before anyone makes an ass of themselves (i'll ignore previous posts), chipped tape basically means tape that's already got timecode on it.

it's one of those pro expressions they don't teach you about (like the difference between offline and online editing, what BITC is etc).

anyway,

Nick "Shorty" Long

4. SilverFox0440

SilverFox0440 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2001
    Does the xl1s have this? I haven't read my friend's manual, but if it did have this, it would save us a ton of editing time.

5. NickLong

Sep 29, 2000
  6. SilverFox0440

SilverFox0440 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2001
    I understand what it is, and I'm asking basically where the button is on the xl1s to mark the tape.

7. NickLong

Sep 29, 2000
    what do you mean "Mark The Tape"?

if you mean mark it for the end of the shot, then the camera does it automatically when you hit the record button to stop recording.

if you mean to add a title, you do it via the menu.

anyway,

Nick "Shorty" Long

8. Jyro-Kyrn

Jyro-Kyrn Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    Actually, you can do quite a bit with a DV tape with the chip. (Oh, if you "chip" your tape I would recommend not putting it back in your camera! :D)

You can add titles, mark sections to keep and overwrite, you can even edit in camera. My Sony DCR-TRV 25 can do all that and more. Check your camera's manual. It should have more info than you can possibly remember how to use.

9. Ptx

Ptx Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 19, 2000
    Maybe I should explain my reasons for asking... :)

I am about to submit my final work to my university and theya re insisting we use chipped Sony tapes 'because of the timecode'.

It is my understanding that timecode is laid down to a track on the tape itself, and althoug the chip can offer additional features (as the post above has explained), the actual timecode on the tape which will be used by any edit/control system is unchanged.

Basically neither I or any of the people I work with understand the need for the chip.

Oh, and we have also been advised to only use Sony cameras because they support teh chip and their timecode is more accurate (?), this is despite the Uni supplying us with XL1's for the last 3 years.

And I always thought Canon were a pretty reliable company....

Go figure :p

Pete

10. NickLong

Sep 29, 2000
    Pete,

for your needs, there seems no point in using chipped tapes then.

you could always do what i did for my video productin exam...

...but don't expect a good mark if you do! :p

anyway,

Nick "Shorty" Long

11. BrentK7

BrentK7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 20, 2000
    Nick, they do however make tapes with an actual chip in them that do what i explained above, maybe they arn't called chipped tapes but still they do exist.

12. lokmer

lokmer Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2000
    They're usually called IC (integrated Circuit) tapes, and they usually only work with Sony cameras, though that has been changing over the last couple of years.
    -Lokmer

13. NickLong

Sep 29, 2000
    <<Nick, they do however make tapes with an actual chip in them that do what i explained above, maybe they arn't called chipped tapes but still they do exist.>>

you obviously missed the edit to my post above. i worked that out.

Lokmer's explanation of chipped tapes explains my initial confusion.

anyway,

Nick "Shorty" Long

14. Ptx

Ptx Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 19, 2000
    Nick, nothing can explain your confusion :p

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.