main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Fran, CA CHOOSE A SFFF SHIRT DESIGN

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by AnasianSkywalker, Jan 9, 2006.

?

CHOOSE A SFFF SHIRT DESIGN

Poll closed Jan 16, 2006.
  1. [image=http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b20/Anasian_Skywalker/83bccfd2.jpg]

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. [image=http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b20/Anasian_Skywalker/80cb4f55.jpg]

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. [image=http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b20/Anasian_Skywalker/cb764bd3.jpg]

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. [image=http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b20/Anasian_Skywalker/80cb4f55.jpg]

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b20/Anasian_Skywalker/83bccfd2.jpg

57.1%
  6. [image=http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b20/Anasian_Skywalker/83bccfd2.jpg]

42.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TionneHawk

TionneHawk Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Those are all great ideas for your shirts. Simple and effective. I don't know if you've seen the SVRF's latest designs. We have a couple actually. They're somewhere on our boards. One with Luke on a Tauntaun and one with the California flag...modified (which is also our new banner). ;)

You guys may be the fun side of the Force..but we're just plain weird. :D

2. Harlock415

Harlock415 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2003
    So you're saying we should accept inferior work after we've already paid for it? I just don't want to rush something just because of Wondercon.

3. CagedReality

CagedReality Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 28, 2005
    I agree with Robert here. I came up with a design on Photoshop but it seems my hosting is down. I'll try to get it uploaded.

edit: Fixed.

[image=http://cagedreality.silent-wishes.com/images/logo1small.jpg]

4. Jedi_Tenken

Jedi_Tenken Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2000

Okay, now I have to step in. First of all I don't think it's inferior at all. It's simple yes, but I think it's a very good design especially for a FIRST shirt. I especially think simple is what we should go for in this instance. Something that stands out BUT also gets the point across. Also I don't think a blitz kreig of color and crap is what we should go for here (the logo I designed years ago is a different issue all together, so cut the chatter on that!).

This shirt works and it's just like those "Got Milk" shirts, simple and stands out. Also in this instance since the clubs is so divided now on this. It's prime time for the Council to step in and make the call along with the backing of the CR.

5. DarthVader79

DarthVader79 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2001
    A blitz kreig of color!

6. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    It was the first thing that popped in there. The whole beginning part of Narnia and all. :)

7. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    OK, I think the design we picked at the meeting (and the one Erick posted here on the virtual shirts) are the ONES. Of course, Kathy, you can (and should) kern them to make it look nice and clean. Also, should it have a period on the end, or maybe an exclamation point? Sorry, I'm a grammar freak. :) I like the simplicity of the design, too. Sean, your design was alright, but I feel the Aurebesh would get lost on the shirt. But thanks for submitting it!

As for getting them done in time for WonderCon, as of this post, we still don't have 20 orders to get them for the $22 quoted for them. There are now only 14 people who have paid so far. I wrote a list of over 15 people who I'm sure would like one, but weren't at the meeting, or didn't have the money at the time. So if we are going to have them by WonderCon (which would be ideal), then Friday of next week would be pushing it to get them in time. Otherwise, I'd rather wait. But it would be nice if we could. ;)

8. Tatooinepadme

Tatooinepadme Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    I will put in my vote that I agree with the simple design. For those fans looking for us, it will be easy to identify and if some people are confused, it's our chance to educate them. It would be great to have them for Wondercon because there will be a lot of local fans there who may not go to other conventions. I think it would also be nice for those members who don't have costumes or don't want to wear them. If there is a C4 next year we can try to plan something more elaborate for that.

9. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    I removed the period because this is display type. As I recall display type does not adhere to the strict punctuation and grammar you'd see in a written paragraph (it's treated more like a book title). I think if you look at other T-shirts or signs with display type/statements on the front or back there is usually no punctuation.

At random I found this at cafe press as an example:

http://www.cafepress.com/cp/browse/store/rightthings.10975106

[image=http://prodtn.cafepress.com/6/10975106_F_tn.jpg]

Or this:

[image=http://prodtn.cafepress.com/2/15483372_F_tn.jpg]

And just to make sure my typography rule memory wasn't playing tricks on me, here is reference to this punctuation rule http://www.typography-1st.com/typo/typset.htm :

"In display composition punctuation marks are dropped at ends of lines only ? but to serve the purpose, space is placed between lines or groups to the same replacement value of a comma, full point, etc."

I can do a version with and without the exclamation point and throw it up for a vote tomorrow :)

- Kay Dee (who knows too much about type setting despite my lack of creativity) ;)

P.S. Regarding Shirt Orders I don't know how many shirts you are short, but I could always bump up my order to 2 (one to keep as a clean keep-sake, the other to wear to death!)

10. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Thanks so much for helping us out CagedReality! :) It's a a nice design. Hey, we can now say that given the time frame we put our heads together and gave it our best shot huh? A true group effort :)

- Kay Dee

11. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    Matt... Dude, why did you have to open a whole new can of worms with the grammer issue? WHO THE F CARES?! I's not like our shirt say "JUST BRING IT!" or "LAYETH THE SMACKETH DOWN!"... It's insane to debate an exclaimation point!!!!!!!!

12. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Well, "layeth the smacketh down" is an incomplete sentence, while "Just Bring It" would not have the same meaning without the exclamation point. ;) Plus, I don't want people to think "We're The Dumb Side Of The Force". Besides, if you look at CafePress' Star Wars shirts, about 90% of the shirts that say "wookiee" on them spell the wrong! It's like calling these films the "Star War" saga. (sorry, Eva...couldn't help it!) And for those of you that are old enough to remember, there were also those buttons and posters shirts that said "Darth Vadar Lives", which they finally changed at Comic-Con last year.

P.S. Who else here gets irritated when someone is on the phone and says, "Where you at" or "axe" instead of "ask"?

13. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    ROTF! [face_laugh] Seriously, nobody will think we are dumb for leaving off the period. As I said, for display type the rule of typography is leave off the the punctuation at the end of a line (no commas, no periods). It's how the pros do it, trust me (I would have gotten yelled at by my graphics teacher for putting a period on actually). However, if the situation calls for laying some smack down, an exclamation can't hurt ;)

Just check to make sure I spelled Fun right OK?

- Kay Dee

And for those of you who like poker...

[image=http://prodtn.cafepress.com/9/38742439_F_tn.jpg]

14. LeiaAsylum

LeiaAsylum Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2003
    I get irritated by improper grammar too! I have tons of pet peeves, but my main one lately is people using apostrophes for plural words (i.e., "Look at all of those giant Wookiee's!" GGGGRRRRR!!!!!!) [face_shame_on_you]

And can I just say that "Layeth the Smacketh Down" doesn't even make any sense? Wouldn't it be something like "Layeth the Smack Down?" I realize it's only wrestling, but still .... :-B

What can I say, I'm a nerd!

15. skye_solo

skye_solo Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2004
    One thing that annoys me about American English is that now apparently they are teaching kids in school that in a possesive where someone/something's name ends in an "s" you put an apostrophe, and THEN another S. These kids will argue you into the ground and tell you you're using poor English if you do it the real, RIGHT WAY. Downfall of western civilization, or is that civiliSation?

Example: Lucas' would now be Lucas's.

I apologize for contributing to the hijacking of the topic of this thread, but this makes me VERY angry. Why is America SOOOOOOO bass ackwards????????????????????????????????????????????????????

grrr

Anyway, I like the decision we made for the t-shirt at the meeting. I will wear it. If I don't like part of it I'll put a black patch of cloth over the part I don't like. Say, a smiley face for instance.
    :p J/K

16. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    It's still instead, if you want to be more STAR WARS grammatically correct then you should be adding "..." at the end instead of "!"... duh...

17. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    What? Huh?

18. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    Idiots... gosh! (anyone else see Napolean Dynamite?)

Anyway, at the end of every opening crawl the paragraphs end with "...." never "!"

19. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    oh. Just wondering what you were referingtoo since the thread has taken a life of its own.

20. StarSmuggler

StarSmuggler Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2004
    I also like the simple design that DV79 posted. A bold statement that will stand out instead of a sea of logos and designs that will drown our message...

I think it is better for a potential member to see our shirt and think- "hey, there's actually a SW fanforce around here that I can join" than "oooh, what a pretty shirt, where can I get one?"

Not that our shirt shouldn't look nice, but I prefer the simple look.

21. DarthVader79

DarthVader79 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2001
    Actually...Return of the jedi only had "..." instead of "...."

22. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Actually simple is nice. Complex can often go wrong. Simple is safe. And it still has a Star Wars feel to it because many of the SW logos are done in a similar way.

And just because it's been keeping me awake at night (I kid ;) )

[image=http://kay-dee.net/logo/swposter.jpg]

Looking through more graphics books and the SW poster book for examples, it seems it can be done both ways. Leaving a period off isn't improper, but it can be left on too. *sigh*

- kay dee

23. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    OK, here's a list of who's ordered shirts and have PAID. Let me know if there are discrepancies in sizes. I will be having them done this weekend, so I need payment no later than Friday, Jan. 27:

Matt (regular, Medium)
    Dale (regular, Large)
    Eva (baby doll, Medium)
    Angelica (baby doll, Small)
    Kathy (baby doll, Medium)
    Kathy (baby doll, Medium)
    Anne B. (regular, Large)
    Anne B. (baby doll, Large/XLarge)
    Brittany (baby doll, Small)
    Gale (baby doll, Medium)
    Sharon Rose (baby doll, Large)
    Ming (regular, Large)
    Rachel (regular, Large)
    Robert (regular, Large)
    Alison (baby doll, Large)
    Susan (baby doll, Medium)
    Mirtha (baby doll, Small)
    Elton (regular, Large)

That's 18 shirts, and I'd like at least 2 more to make the 20 I was quoted to have them at the price we paid. You can send payment via PayPal at my e-mail address, or PM me for my mailing address to send a check. Remember, I need payment by this Friday.

24. Harlock415

Aug 21, 2003
    I think one of your Anne B's should be Anne M.

25. LeiaAsylum

LeiaAsylum Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2003
    I did order 2, so it looks correct to me as is - I hope Anne M didn't get accidentally bumped off the list! Gotta have a girly shirt and a comfy shirt, so I can wear them all the time! :-B

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.