Choosing deck protectors

Discussion in 'Games: TCG' started by Lord_Makro, Nov 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_Makro Jedi Knight

star 2
    I guess that everybody uses deck protectors for their cards. I'd like to know what your opinion is about the plethora of available colors, and how you organise them. Do you only use one kind (color) of deck protectors for your cards? I find this to be difficult because I have so many cards and can't find as many sleeves of the same color each time I go to my local shop.
    One solution that I'm implementing right now is to use one color for the light side cards and another for the dark side cards. I have chosen tsunami blue for the light side and lava red for the dark side. As for the neutral cards, I'm thinking of "splitting" them between the two sides and using blue or red sleeves. This way you can make all-blue light side decks and all-red dark side decks. The only drawback is that each neutral card is "assinged" to one specific side.
    Another thought is to use a different color for the neutral cards and be free to use them in both light and dark side decks, but this way your opponent will know if a card you are building is a neutral one.
    Finally there is a question whether you use the same colors regardless of the set of the cards (AOTC, SR, JG) or not.
  2. Jedi_Natalie Jedi Master

star 4
    I like the kind iwth colored backs since they fit the cards so nicely. I use a different color for different decks. The cards not in a deck don't have sleaves.
  3. Q99213 Jedi Master

star 4
    I only protect my rares and decks. Everything else is organized and boxed up. Actually, right now I don't have any protection on my TCG decks, but for CCG I use dark metallic blue for dark and light metallic blue for light.
  4. RedneckJedi Historian, JediOKC Manager Emeritus

star 2
    I currently use the Ultra-Pro Metallic Blue and Red for my Light Side and Dark Side decks respectively. Ultra-Pro conveniently :_| sells their sleeves in packs of 50... meaning you have to buy 100 to fill out a tournament-sanctioned deck, then another 100 for your other deck. Actually, this isn't too bad since sleeves may wear out or split over time, and you'll have plenty of spares for replacement. The plus side of the metallics is that they stack well and don't slide around all over the place. The minus side is that the color wears off the backs in a short amount of time, and they're notorious for splitting on the top corners or mysteriously "blowing out" a hole in the bottom of the sleeve (particularly the red ones).

Ultra-Pro's latest sleeve style is the "satin", that have a foil-like appearance. I talked to the shop owner who had them about what he thought were the best quality deck protector sleeve, and his opinion, based on the store's gamers, was the older Ultra-Pro "Dragon" protectors.

As far as keeping Neutral cards separate from my Light/Dark cards, I don't view Neutral cards as such, rather that they're Light Side and Dark Side playable. That's why I try to have 8 of them. I store up to 4 of each card in Ultra-Pro pages alphabetically by Side and Card type. Luxury Airspeeder fits in right between Krayt Dragon and Mobile Command Center in my DS cards and between Luke's Speeder (B) and Mobile Artillery Division in my LS cards. That way, I don't have to know Luxury Airspeeder is a Neutral in order to build it into a Light or Dark deck. If I don't have 8, I just borrow some from the other side, provided I don't absolutely need it for the other side's deck.
  5. Lord_Makro Jedi Knight

star 2
    I just finished organising my AOTC and SR cards in deck protectors (I have all the cards from these two sets). I used two colors (light - dark) for each set, and splitted my neutral cards between the two sides. I also used different colors for each set, meaning my light side from AOTC doesn't have the same color with the light side from SR. I did this because I store my cards according to the set they belong to, and I wanted to more easily organise them this way.
  6. Bacabachaui Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Well get busy on the other 4 sets now! :p
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.