main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Chords (Obi/Qui, JA) - *3rd update, 29/11/06*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Princess_Arulmozhi, Oct 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    Title:Chords
    Author: P_A
    Timeframe: JA
    Characters: Obi, Qui, Caetano (OC)
    Genre: Mush, angst, drama, h/c
    Summary: A subtle lesson. Hopefully, learnt.

Qui-Gon stopped wiping the delicate selveire cup with a cloth, and listened. The sounds from their apartment's common area were muted; nevertheless, he could hear them. And he could make an accurate guess at the source.

He completed the wiping process - something that he'd delegated to Obi-Wan - and set them carefully, taking care that his large fingers handled them with the delicate care they required. Then, he closed the door.

A thump! reached him from outside, and he walked to the doorway - the door had been locked open - and peered out.

Obi-Wan sat on a stiff-backed metal chair, his hands holding a particularly large datapad. His eyes were moving up and down it carefully, and a crease had furrowed itself in between his eyebrows. His teeth were worrying his lower lip, something that happened only when he was concentrating furiously, Qui-Gon knew. That, and the fact that Obi-Wan's end of the bond was steeped in furious thought, had helped him arrive at this conclusion. He was sitting straight - too straight - and even for someone who never slouched or lolled all over his seat if he could help it, Obi-Wan's posture was too rigid.

Then, he raised his head suddenly. Qui-Gon found himself accosted with a pair of grey-blue eyes that were still caught in whatever train of thought he'd been pursuing.

Qui-Gon raised an eyebrow. "If you're intending on fasting this evening, padawan, you ought to have given me some intimation of the fact." He waved a stir-stick in the air in a vaguely circling motion. "If you disregard my attempts at culinary endeavors, I shall be seriously displeased."

A slight smile appeared on Obi-Wan's face, where there would usually have been a chuckle. "I could not let that happen, could I?" he murmured. "Forgive me. I should have finished earlier." He looked down at the datapad again, and breathed a sigh.

"I grant you a free pardon. Once you've fallen at my feet fifty times." Qui-Gon waved the stir-stick again in the manner of a royal proclamation, and this time, succeeded in getting more than a smile out of the padawan. Then, he watched Obi-Wan put away his study tools. "Master Caetano, I assume? What is it this time? More grand exclamations over your wonderful work? I must confess, I believe Master Caetano to be somewhat prejudiced in your favour Ã?¢ââ??‰â?¬Å? no one can heap so many honours on one student, surely?"

Obi-Wan stood up and trooped behind his Master into the cooking area, lifting a steaming dish from the little shelf."I'm sorry I made you wait. I should have cleaned the selveire, shouldn't I?"

"I haven't been given much chance to hone my polishing skills, padawan, so I shall consider that just a lesson for myself." Qui-Gon smiled as he handed two plates to the boy. "You haven't answered my question yet."

Obi-Wan's face smoothed into a bland expression. "Master Caetano has been much as usual. I have been given two assignments that will require a good deal of research." He threw a sidelong glance at Qui-Gon. "Assuming, of course, that we're not setting off on a mission within the next two weeks."

"Not much chance of that, I'm afraid. You'll suffer through Caetano's teachings as much as anyone can." Qui-Gon' eyes twinkled. "Although, I must say, that would hardly be a punishment in your case. You enjoy his sessions, after all."

Obi-Wan's smile was non-committal. "Of course."

"Have there been any more discussions about the Teilarian system's class divisions? You might have found those interesting, since we had a chance to observe their customs rather closely in the last two months."

"Yes."

Qui-Gon threw a glance at Obi-Wan. They had assembled their evening meal at the small table, and were in the process of settling down in their seats. "Indeed? And ... may I ask the subject of your discussion?"

Obi-Wan had been staring

2. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    *Snatches first post*

Hrm, are your smart quotes turned on? The post has all sorts of weird characters which makes it hard to read. But so happy to see you writing a new story and posting again! Will leave you a better review in the morning when I've not been traveling all day. :)

Ooh no! Poor Obi-Wan, *bites lip nervously* I have this feeling it will be some time before he recovers.

Love the Qui/Obi gentle conversation and they're relationship. I always love how you write Qui/Obi. So very well done. Bravo!

3. LuvBoo-in

LuvBoo-in Jedi Youngling

Oct 29, 2003
    Oooh, a new story, and just when I needed a pick me up. :)

I liked the narrative being from Qui-Gon's point of view, getting to read his thoughts. But Obi-Wan! [face_worried] I'm trying to figure out what could possibly be wrong with him. The title is interesting. I'm trying to think what that could be too. [face_thinking]

Great beginning. I can't wait for more, but I'm sure you know that. :D

A loud clatter interrupted his thought. He stood up almost without his knowledge and walked swiftly towards the cooking area.

I forgot to add I liked that line, the instinct involved there. [face_love]

And reading it again I'm also wondering why Qui-Gon hadn't noticed Obi-Wan's condition earlier. Hmmm...much thinking to be done. ;)

4. Luminara_Kenobi

Luminara_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 6, 2006
    :eek: [face_worried] My poor Obi! What's wrong with him? And what does this Master Caetano have to do with it... [face_thinking]...and what about the title, too... :confused: [face_thinking]. More! :D

5. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Well, that doesn't sound good. Obi-Wan may be sick but he should have told Qui-Gon. Of course, at that age, they want to be independant and grown up so he would be more likely to not mention it. Love all the talk about Obi-Wan's studies and how proud Qui-Gon is about it, even though he never says he's proud.

Good job. Looking forward to more.

6. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Obi-Wan not eating is always a sure sign of illness, though being focused on school work is enough to wan one's appetite.

Might I ask for a PM when you update P_A?? :D

7. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    VERY interesting start! Please put me on the PM list if you've got one. I don't want to miss a post. :p

Obi-Wan sat on a stiff-backed metal chair, his hands holding a particularly large datapad. His eyes were moving up and down it carefully, and a crease had furrowed itself in between his eyebrows. His teeth were worrying his lower lip, something that happened only when he was concentrating furiously, Qui-Gon knew. That, and the fact that Obi-Wan's end of the bond was steeped in furious thought, had helped him arrive at this conclusion. He was sitting straight - too straight - and even for someone who never slouched or lolled all over his seat if he could help it, Obi-Wan's posture was too rigid.

Then, he raised his head suddenly. Qui-Gon found himself accosted with a pair of grey-blue eyes that were still caught in whatever train of thought he'd been pursuing.

Qui-Gon raised an eyebrow. "If you're intending on fasting this evening, padawan, you ought to have given me some intimation of the fact." He waved a stir-stick in the air in a vaguely circling motion. "If you disregard my attempts at culinary endeavors, I shall be seriously displeased."

It's obvious that something is bothering Obi-Wan and I can't wait to find out what it is.
    =D=

8. foxsolo

foxsolo Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2005
    The best way to start out any day is with a new P_A story. [face_love]

9. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Yeah, great beginning to another great story. PM me, please. I don't want to miss any of your stories.

10. ConStar

ConStar Jedi Youngling

Aug 29, 2004
    Interesting start, I can't help but wonder if Master Caetano has anything to do with Obi-Wan being ill. I don't think Qui-Gon's oppinion of the other master will be quite so high when this story is done, but I might be wrong, who knows? Well, you know, of course, and I hope you will share it with us. [face_batting]

If you have a PM list, please put me on it - don't want to miss a post!

11. Dragonlady

Dragonlady Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 1, 2005
    This is going to be one of my favorite fics of yours, I can tell. I'm such a sucker for Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan h/c, and as always, I love the way you write them.

12. Fifilla

Fifilla Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2006
    Great start, sounds interesting!
    Poor Obi-Wan, I hope he will be alright!!!
    Please, update soon!

13. JediKlea

JediKlea Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 19, 2002
    Ooh! Love the beginning of this, rasies so many intruiguing questions...If you have a PM list, please put me on it!

14. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

Yahoo another Obi/Qui story my favourite kind=D=

would you Please PM me when you update Taa:D

15. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    Oh this one is most interesting... i wonder what's wrong with Obi Wan [face_worried]

Please add me to ur pm list for the next update [face_praying]

Thanks! :D

[face_peace]

16. Cole_Kenobi

Cole_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 17, 2005
    Oh luvly start, seems very promising! I luv these kind of stories, I dunno why, but I seem to have a fetish of Obiwan getting sick or hurt. lol. Very well written,btw. I would luv it if you could put me on your PM list so I wont miss the next update! Thank you bunches!

17. dimyavie

dimyavie Jedi Master star 1

May 3, 2006
    Sometimes, I really hate college. Writing 5 page papers has gotten in the way of the all important fanfic reading! So, I'm just now reading your wonderful (as always) post. I hope you continue with this fic and please update soon! :)

18. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Oh dear, what in the world has happened to Obi-Wan? [face_worried]

Loved the interaction between Obi and Qui - very sweet.

Looking forward to more

=D= =D= =D= =D=

19. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Hurray- a new story. If you are planning on PMs, please add me to the list

20. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Ooooh! I think Qui-Gon needs to call for help, right now! I do look forward to seeing what is going on with Obi-Wan. He is just as confused about it as his master.

I have a suspicious mind and I wonder if anything that Master Caetano has been doing has anything to do with Obi-Wan's illness?

21. General_Kenobi_66

General_Kenobi_66 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 18, 2006
    Hmmm, Very interesting.
    Wonder what is wrong with Obi[face_thinking]
    Very good start=D=
    Can't wait for more!:D

~The General~

22. Star-Foozle

Star-Foozle Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 24, 2006
    Hurrah! New story! [face_dancing]

Oh, dear. Poor Obi...he really dosn't sound well. As others have mentioned, I'm curious to see if Master Caetano has anything to do with it. Perhaps it's class-induced stress that's getting to Kenobi... I can relate.:p

Obi/Qui h/c, hmm? I'll be interested to see where this goes. Would you kindly PM me when you update? It would be greatly appreciated. :D

Nice job, P_A! Keep up the good work!

23. saraynet

saraynet Jedi Youngling

Nov 11, 2006
    Hi, Princess_Arulmozhi. I'm new here (have been lurking for quite some time; have tried to register several times, but let's not talk about that.) I'm so glad I finally got on the boards, so I could tell you how much I love your fics! No matter what you write, be it mush, angst, action, humor, whatever, it seems to work. An update from you always makes my day just a little bit better, or in some cases, just a little less terrible.

Loved the banter in this one, and am eagerly awaiting the next installment.

24. Princess_Arulmozhi

Nov 16, 2004
    Layren : >>Hrm, are your smart quotes turned on? The post has all sorts of weird characters which makes it hard to read>>

Apparently. Managed to turn them off in the Word document, though, so I hope it doesn't throw up weird stuff online. I'm glad you're enjoying the story - it's been a while since I got back to writing � so I like to know if it's in character.

LuvBoo-in: How like you to get to the title first. :D I love that about you - you get to the finer points right away. Yes, the title was chosen with � intent. :) Yes, Qui-Gon's acting pretty much on instinct now, when Obi-Wan is concerned. And I'm not sure he's going to be pleased when he understands the reason for his ill-health. Glad you're reading!

Luminara_Kenobi: The title - and Master Caetano - and everything else will be revealed soon. :D Thanks for reading!

dianethx: Yes, Qui-Gon never does admit in the open that he's proud of Obi-Wan's accomplishment - but he is, very much, and he makes sure he shows it in little things. A gentle voice, a little more care than necessary. Obi-Wan knows it too. Thanks!

Healer_Leona: Yes, Obi-Wan is unfocussed. A little rare for him. :)Thanks for reading, HL. Glad you like. Of course, you'll get a PM. Or a CM (Heh.)

VaderLVR64 : I think you'll find out what's bothering him very soon _ note that I'm not saying it could be in the next installment. :D Thanks for reading!

foxsolo: Wow, that is a great compliment. Thank you. :)

Valairy_Scot: Thanks. Update coming up soon, I promise. :)

ConStar: As of now, Qui-Gon's opinion about Caetano is rather non-committal; he's a teacher and his interest extends just to Obi-Wan's education and tutorial sessions. Soon, though. ;) - he might be inclined to poke around some more.

Thanks!

Dragonlady: I'm a sucker for Qui/Obi h/c fics myself - I keep re-reading many old favourites - and then I suddenly remembered that I hadn't written any � so I thought I would. :) Thanks for reading!

Fifilla: Update coming up soon. Glad you're reading it.

JediKlea: And I intend to bring up even more interesting questions. Update coming up soon. :)

Gkilkenny: Lol, sure. Thanks for dropping in.:)

Veloz: Mystery revealed soon. :) Thanks.

Cole_Kenobi: Lol, I'm sure we all love to see Obi caught in the throes of sickness - as long as he recovers with a good deal of caring comfort. Update coming soon. Thank you.
    dimyavie: Lots of luck with college - and I hope you can get back in full force to reading fan fic. Thanks. :)

KELIA: Thanks. :) I love Qui-Obi interaction myself.

PadawanKitara: Hi there, PK. Glad you dropped in.

ardavenport: Oh Obi-Wan is very confused - and he's not sure if he can tell anyone anything. As usual, he would like to solve everything himself. If you think a certain master has been actively poisoning Obi or anything � wow, Anne, you do have an actively suspicious mind. :D

General_Kenobi_66: Thanks for dropping in. :)

Star-Foozle: Class induced stress. Hmm. Did you know that you've hit upon the solution, point-blank? :D Sure, I'll send you notice of when I update. Thanks!

saraynet: Welcome! It's always great getting new readers - I'm glad you like my work so much and got over registration troubles to tell me. [:D] It made my day. Thank you.

25. Princess_Arulmozhi

Nov 16, 2004
    Part II

It had been quite a while since he'd carried Obi-Wan anywhere.

The last time had been when they were both caught in some mid-Rim planet - what was it now? Mesrt? - and they'd both been cowering under the almost-torn-down-roof of a desolate manufactory building, and Obi-Wan had been hit by a small rock. One minute, he'd been crouching by Qui-Gon's side and he could feel the apprentice's strong life force, questing, searching, on guard, waiting and the next instant there'd been a sharp twinge and a disorienting, giddy attack - he'd almost fallen with the pain of it. Qui-Gon had finally ended up carrying Obi-Wan for a good two or three streets before he could set the boy down for a hasty revival. That was one of the times he remembered wondering anew about how the boy had grown.

Then, though, his only worry had been to escape their pursuers, and bring Obi-Wan back to consciousness, which he'd done, after a fashion. The worry was confined to just that - because he'd known why the boy hung lifelessly, across his shoulders.

The luxury of which knowledge he did not possess, now.

It was very short walk from their cooking area to the boy's room - a room that was reasonably neat, as Obi-Wan had finished tidying up that afternoon - approached the bed and gently lowered him to it. Obi-Wan's head touched the cushion and turned away slightly. He breathed a relieved sigh, which rather surprised him - he hadn't known that he had been holding his breath. He placed a hand on Obi-Wan's forehead again. "Obi-Wan?" he said, very softly. Obi-Wan turned his head restlessly twice and then lay still. His eyelids fluttered.

Qui-Gon moved towards the cooking area again, for a glass of water.

Vague and uncertain fears proceeded to march across his mind and he clamped down on them, turning, instead to an analysis of what might possibly be wrong. Why had Obi-Wan mentioned nothing about his feeling ill? Surely he would have felt something, earlier? Had he done so, and had Qui-Gon not noticed it? He ran swiftly through their brief conversations in the past two or three days, trying to divine what Obi-Wan had looked like, or let fall. His padawan had appeared tired, but Qui-Gon had put that down to post-mission listlessness - something that usually plagued them for a few brief days after taxing and/or unsuccessful assignments. It vanished after a period of rest and recuperation, usually aided by Qui-Gon himself.

He procured the glass and walked back, still in thought. When he reached his destination, he stopped at the door. Obi-Wan's eyes were open.

"Padawan." He stepped closer, with the water.

Obi-Wan's eyes moved slowly, to focus on him. His fingers clenched on the sheets - and then, he swiftly sat up. Or at any rate, tried to.

Qui-Gon had crossed to him in an instant. "Slowly, now," as Obi-Wan fell back to the pillow. "Drink this."

Obi-Wan swallowed. "Master?"

"How do you feel?"

Obi-Wan heaved a deep breath and let it out. "How long â?¦?" he raised a hand which Qui-Gon noticed was shaking a little, to place it over his eyes.

"Can't have been more than a few minutes."

"Oh." He accepted the glass, and when Qui-Gon raised him slowly, looked as though he was trying not to wince. "I'm all right."

"Where have you hurt yourself?" Qui-Gon's voice was neutral.

Obi-Wan blinked, then sipped his water slowly. "Nowhere."

"Well, then." Qui-Gon rose and picked up Obi-Wan's com unit that lay on a little shelf to his left. He checked the instrument, and then proceeded to send a communication. Obi-Wan watched silently, his face pinched and white as Qui-Gon completed relaying his message to the Healer's Ward, asking for a healer to attend his padawan as soon as possible.

He lowered his head when Qui-Gon closed the connection and replaced the instrument within its receptacle.

The Master looked steadily at the apprentice. "Now is the time for you to admit to any illness or hurt you've sustained."

"I'm not hurt, Master." Obi-Wan rubbed his hand over his face. "I would not hide it, if

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.