main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Chords (Obi/Qui, JA) - *3rd update, 29/11/06*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Princess_Arulmozhi, Oct 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luminara_Kenobi

Luminara_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 6, 2006
    Hhmmmmm....so what's going on with Obi? Poor Obi, always trying to hide it when he's not okay...why does he do that?! Anyway, if there's a pm list I'd like to be added! :D

2. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Poor Obi-Wan! I keep thinking that he knows something, but it's gotten wound up with the remnants of his flu. He does not like being unwell, not at all.

Interesting how Qui-Gon thinks of Obi-Wan as small when he sees his self-assurance diminished, but Obi-Wan is big when he actually has to pick him up. :) I look forward to seeing they work this out.

3. Star-Foozle

Star-Foozle Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 24, 2006
    Ooh, update! *bounces happily*

Poor Obi-Wan! This isn't looking too good for him. It's so much like him to hide any discomfort, which only ends up damaging him in the long run.

That was in abeyance now. Today, his padawan looked, Qui-Gon realized with something of a mild pang - like a young man he remembered having seen in an impoverished serving family in a planet of the outer Rim. Small, subservient and weary.

"Master, I am better now," he announced, passing a hand around his eyes. "I think I can work a little."

*frowns at Obi and waves a finger* Stop that!

Thanks for the PM, P_A, I appreciate it! Can't wait to see where this goes. Nice job, keep it up!
    =D=

4. Cole_Kenobi

Cole_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 17, 2005
    Aww, poor Obi-wan, suffering in silence, thinking he wasn't important enough to be worried about. I wonder what has got Obi-wan so stressed out that it makes him sick? Btw, how old is he in this story? Thx, for the PM, and the update!

5. saraynet

saraynet Jedi Youngling

Nov 11, 2006
    Eeek! What's going on with Obi-Wan? Qui-Gon seems to have his suspicions, but I'm not sure what they are yet.

Can't wait for the next part!

6. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    How interesting. Obi is hiding something from Qui but it's not obvious what it is...

And this is disquieting. "It should not - if the boil is lanced." What the heck does that mean? It sounds ominous and yet Qui-Gon didn't seem very put off by it.

Good job. Please PM me with updates.

7. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    an update :)

Poor Obi-Wan shsould know better than hide an illness :(
    Now we will have sick, grumpy Obi-Wan

8. Fifilla

Fifilla Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2006
    I wonder what is wrong with Obi-Wan [face_thinking]
    I hope he will talk to Qui-Gon about everything!
    Very nice chapter!

9. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

Thanks for the PM it is nice to get back to a new post.
    Qui-Gon is going to need to watch Obi-Wan closely.[face_worried]

10. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    Poor Obi... he tries to hide illness to not worry anyone

I hope Qui Gon isnt too hard on him

Tnx a lot for the pm :)

11. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Wonderful post, but I hope Obi is okay. [face_worried]

"You did not see fit to inform Master Qui-Gon about it?"

"He has been very busy with research and missions." Obi-Wan's voice was even lower than before, if possible. "I - did not think it important."

"A decision that was mine and Healer Derz's to make," Qui-Gon's voice cut in, sharper than usual. "Not yours."

Obi-Wan's face had lost its flush. His eyes flickered and his lips looked very white. "I beg pardon."

Healer Derz looked down at him again. This time, his gaze seemed to soften. There was an expression in his eyes that might have been tenderness. "You mustn't suffer in silence, young one. That is not for you." He paused. "Not yet."

Lovely. =D=

12. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    A/N Thank you so much. Next looooooong update. Replies coming soon. Computer still bonkers. Sorry!

Part III

When he re-entered Obi-Wan's room, he found the padawan half-lying, half-sitting on his sleep couch, intently scanning his datapad. It was the same one, Qui-Gon remembered, that he had asked Obi-Wan to place by his table the next morning.

"Put that down," he commanded.

Obi-Wan's face became expressionless - but Qui-Gon saw that his hands shook a little. Abruptly, his anger changed to something close to sympathy. He approached the bed and stood looking down at the boy.

"You didn't tell me how you felt, padawan. That was not well done of you."

Obi-Wan bit his lips. "I shall be all right soon, Master." His voice was quiet, firm. His hands no longer shook, and it was obvious that he had brought himself under impeccable control - no matter how difficult it had been. "I am old enough - I can't behave like a little initiate."

"Initiate behaviour corresponds to not informing your elders about what ails you. That will lead to complications later on - as you well know." He paused. "And I am not speaking of missions." He leaned down and placed a hand over Obi-Wan's lax one. "I do care, padawan. Very much."

Obi-Wan's eyes gazed into his own, and he saw the flicker of indecision in them. You must wait, nudged the Force. Wait. The time is not yet come.

Qui-Gon straightened, moved towards the little table by the side and handed the capsules prescribed by Healer Derz. "Here's what you need to take for tonight. May I trust you to complete your course?"

"Of course, Master." Obi-Wan's voice was flat and unemotional. By now, his eyes had lost their confused grey and resolved into a slightly clearer blue. Qui-Gon stroked his beard thoughtfully. A lesson must be learnt. You must teach it to him.

A lesson? He spoke into his own mind. But how will I teach a lesson I know nothing of?

Wait, counseled the spark within. Patience. Feel, don't think.

At the moment, though, his feelings encountered only very strong mental shields - shields, the raising of which, in fact, Qui-Gon himself had been teaching Obi-Wan lately.

"Sleep now. It is already late. I expect you to rest tomorrow." He pulled away the datapad gently from Obi-Wan's hand. "Begin your breathing exercises."

"Yes, Master." Obi-Wan sat up from his reclining position, his face flushed. "I'm sorry. This won't happen again."

Qui-Gon smiled a little and tapped him slightly on his cheek. "You take yourself too seriously, Obi-Wan. Sometimes, you must let go." He turned towards the door.

"There is no one to take me seriously if I don't, Master."

Qui-Gon turned back swiftly, considerably surprised. Obi-Wan's eyes were fixed to the ceiling and his voice was low, as though he had been speaking to himself. "Why do you say that?" he asked quietly.

"Pardon me. It was just an idle observation."

Qui-Gon set his lips and looked at Obi-Wan for a long moment. "Sleep well, padawan. We shall speak tomorrow," he said, finally, and went out.

As it so happened, there was no time to speak or discuss anything the next day. When Qui-Gon knocked as was his custom, the next morning, there was no answer. He pondered for a while, and then overrode the controls that closed off Obi-Wan's room, stepped in - and understood why he had had no answer.

Obi-Wan's temperature had risen during the night; he was now thoroughly in the grip of a raging fever.

~*~

Qui-Gon placed a cool cloth on his padawan's forehead. Obi-Wan groaned something unintelligible, and tried to twist under the bed-clothes, but seemed to lack the energy to do so. A moment later, he had fallen into an uneasy slumber.

The morning's prognosis from Healer Derz had not been very encouraging: Obi-Wan had had a sort of minor relapse. Minor, as the temperature did not shoot up and stay in a burning high for hours, but rather, kept rising and falling. It did not put Qui-Gon much at ease, but Healer Derz said that this wa

13. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    Hmmm this is interesting[face_thinking] ... i get the feeling that Qui Gon is off to speak to Master Caetano

Cant wait to see wassup with this... tnx for the pm! :)

[face_peace]

14. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    Brilliant post Qui-Gon finally realises something is happening that should.

My focus must be slipping, he thought, when he leant against the cooking counter. A swift probe of Obi-Wan revealed that the apprentice was asleep. What had the boy meant �?
    I couldn't work out what those symbols where above.:confused:

He waited a few seconds, trying to sense what the Force was trying to tell him. Common sense told him that it seemed too trivial to hesitate � but he had the prickling feeling that it was important. He by-passed the fairly easy controls, and stopped at the field that asked for the password.

He should listen carefully to the force[face_worried]

As the assignment progressed, Master Caetano's comments grew steadily shorter. There were almost no words of praise. The comments were sharp, to the point, and held the barest of encouragement. "Proceed." "Much thought necessary." "I foresee many hours spent in the Archives, padawan. You must learn to apply yourself more." "Perhaps you would like to reconsider your theories? Class distinctions cannot be routed out in a matter of years." "A true negotiator never utters heedless words - you would do well to remember this." "Kindly come to me for a discussion of your submission at 34546.45.98." "There are those in whose veins runs diplomacy, instead of blood. Others, who are not too fortunate, would do well to observe them closely."

Well, really.

Whoo hoo!! Qui-Gon knows something is wrong[face_idea]

Thanks for the PM.=D=

15. Fifilla

Fifilla Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2006
    "This is who you are, padawan."
    "Are you sure, Master?"
    "Yes." The Force prickled his neck. "And you?"
    A long moment of silence. "Yes. That is what the Code says. I - don't know."

[face_worried] What's wrong with Obi-Wan? Is it just the fever or something else?

Then he shrugged on his robe, concealed the datapad in his capacious pockets, and left the chambers.
    I think Qui-Gon will pay Master Caetano a visit, won't he? I'm very curious about that talk!

He smiled slightly and felt around the underneath of the datapad. Underneath a little crevice that concealed the stylus was a small strip of flimsiplast attached to the datapad. It held a series of numbers. He entered them, feeling curious at what the numbers might represent. They seemed familiar. Suddenly, the answer flashed through his mind - it was the year he had taken Obi-Wan as his padawan. The year, the month and the day - when he had stopped Obi-Wan from giving his life for Qui-Gon himself.
    Oh, how sweet, that Obi-Wan's password is the date Qui-Gon took him as his Padawan! [face_love]

Thanks for the long update! :)

16. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Sometimes, a small detail has a lot of meaning, such as:

He smiled slightly and felt around the underneath of the datapad. Underneath a little crevice that concealed the stylus was a small strip of flimsiplast attached to the datapad. It held a series of numbers. He entered them, feeling curious at what the numbers might represent. They seemed familiar. Suddenly, the answer flashed through his mind - it was the year he had taken Obi-Wan as his padawan. The year, the month and the day - when he had stopped Obi-Wan from giving his life for Qui-Gon himself.

I loved that. [face_love]

=D=

17. Star-Foozle

Star-Foozle Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 24, 2006
    Woohoo! Update! *dances* [face_dancing]

You've got a few markup issues going on, I think...there are random symbols and squiggles in place of certain punctuation marks. Besides that, though, I really enjoyed this post.

As everyone's said before, I love Obi's password...[face_love] So sweet. Master Caetano's commentary, however, is another matter entirely. What was that guy thinking, showering Obi with so much praise then going all bipolar on him? No wonder Obi-wan's upset. I'd be, too. [face_frustrated]

Nice work as always, P_A. Thanks for the PM, and I hope for another update soon!

=D=

18. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Ah, the plot thickens. Why or why does Caetano change opinions mid-course like this? I was fairly sure from the first chapter that the master and Obi-Wan were, if not battling heads, at least differences of opinion, but this is entirely unexpected.

Wonderful as always.

19. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    I just love the way you pulled us into what was going on with Obi-Wan. Now it makes perfect sense. He's probably thinking that he's not worthy of anything. The way he asked about who he was and how he said "There is no one to take me seriously if I don't, Master." Just about broke my heart.

Loved the password was the day that he was taken as Padawan. So sweet and yet just like Obi-Wan.

Great job. Love this. [face_love] Hope it will be updated soon.

20. JediKlea

JediKlea Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 19, 2002
    So intricate and delicious, I love it! I keep thinking of this Master C character as Palpatine though...he seems too trixy...

21. saraynet

saraynet Jedi Youngling

Nov 11, 2006
    This is wonderful! Looks like there is more going on with Obi-Wan than Qui-Gon knows. Wonder what this Caetano dude is up to.

And you nearly made me choke; one of my old Mary Sues was named Teilari!

22. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    This was a nice looong update. Thanks for the PM. When will we find out what that master was thinking?!

23. General_Kenobi_66

General_Kenobi_66 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 18, 2006
    Hmmm, someting is up with this Caetano.[face_thinking]
    Awfully suspicious[face_thinking]
    I'm looking forward to more:)

~The General~

24. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    I have no idea what's going on. I love that about your fics. :p Obi-Wan's condition is so strange, in that it seems like it's connected in some way to that Master, but why it would affect him so deeply is a mystery. I loved Qui-Gon's caring and protectiveness. I love it all. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.