main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Choreography Competition 2.5

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by MaxVeers, Mar 10, 2004.

?

Choreography Competition 2.5

Poll closed Mar 23, 2012.
  1. Entry 1

7 vote(s)
    3.1%
  2. Entry 2

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  3. Entry 3

38 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. Entry 4

3 vote(s)
    1.3%
  5. Entry 5

3 vote(s)
    1.3%
  6. Entry 6

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  7. Entry 7

79 vote(s)
    34.8%
  8. Entry 8

3 vote(s)
    1.3%
  9. Entry 9

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  10. Entry 10

91 vote(s)
    40.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaxVeers

MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
  2. MaxVeers

MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    First off, we would like to thank everyone who entered this contest. We hope you all had as much fun making these clips as we had watching them.

Secondly, we would also like to thank Sam Saulnier (JediByKnight) for helping with making this system possible. Once again, you rock dude.

Thirdly, we would like to give out thanks to Washington Computer Systems for hosting all the entries.

Last but not least, we would like to thank all the Judges for donating their time to viewing these entries and scrutinizing them the way they're supposed to be seen.

We would also like to take this opportunity to inform you that once the polls close one week from today on the 17th that we will have the Official Judges Panel reveal their winner. So there will be the Popular Vote and also the Judges Vote resulting in TWO titles to be awarded.

Good luck everyone who entered and people, please remember, if you don't like a certain fight, don't flame or act stupid towards it. Use tact and try to be polite. We are all friends here and this was all just for fun. So enjoy!

Sage_Halcyon & BrandonFlyte

View Competition Entries (High Resolution)
    View Competition Entries (Low Resolution)

COMPETITION ENDS MARCH 16 2004 AT NOON EST

3. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    *starts downloading*

Fantastic job people. finally the comp is ready for viewing :)

4. JEDIBYKNIGHT

JEDIBYKNIGHT Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2001
    This was posted a lot sooner than expected.

Which is cool. :)

5. FriarStrong

FriarStrong Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 29, 2003
    Started watching the other ones, now I'm scared.

BTW, if anyone picked up on our nod in the RvD direction, that was intentional...

6. Shadow_of_Evil

Nov 18, 2001
    The Review From Elman (me):

Entry III:

Awsome. I watched it and was VERY impressed with the majority of the stuff that was pulled off in this. Some nice fancy fist and foot combat in there that wasn't TOO all for show, which most people here know I'm a bastard about. The bo and then jo fighting was particularly impressive and definately worth the download.

I give:

A-

Good Job.

7. Mert_Skywalker

Mert_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    I think everyone put in an impressive effort. Good luck to us all (especially those of us scared of the competition).

8. Casious_

Casious_ Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 24, 2003
    From what i have seen i think all the entrys are great. Im dont think im (we're) going to win but im pleased to of entered =], simply for the sheer amount of fun we had making this 'film'.

May the best stick wielder win.

9. Shadow_of_Evil

Nov 18, 2001
    The Review From Elman (me):

Entry X:

Very impressive once again. Interesting dual indeed. The sabres looked awsome, the use of the sabres wa pretty awsome and the camera work was nice. But I guess only the fighting is what is to concern.

I liked it alot. It did have some RvD elements to it which was kinda cool because thank god it wasn't repetative...you guys actually looked like you ere engaged in some sort of real life combat which seams to be a rare element in fan film duels. :( I really enjoyed the ending, wont spoil it for anyone, and it wasd certainly worht the download :D

I give that an:

A

w00t! Choreography comps RAWK!
    CRICKEY

10. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    Please for anyone wanting to enter next year's please see my post about the 180 degree rule...its being broken A LOT!

11. Casious_

Nov 24, 2003
    For the record, we had absolutly no interest in continuity, sorry for that but we made this for fun.

We filmed over 8 days, i wear 3 sets of head gear (grey hat, black cap and not hat) and gary has about 4 different hair styles. We have varying degrees of light and weather. From frost and ice on the first day of filming to lighting problems on the 8th when the sun wont go away.

Not to knock the rule, im sure its perfectly useful and prudent when trying to creat a fan film. We just went, we're making a fx test thing.

12. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    I understand that all of this is done for fun...film making should be fun. The day its not is the day you should stop making movies IMO. However this is more then a simple rule of continuity, its a rule that helps with your film's effectiveness. An audience won't be wowed by your coreography if they can't watch the video.

13. Noobie_Wan_Kenobi

Noobie_Wan_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 3, 2004
    Am I the only one who have problems with the sound? And it says high resolution. But it's bad quality. Are there any non Qt, high resolution versions?

I would like to watch them. :)

14. JEDIBYKNIGHT

Jan 17, 2001
    Which file(s), and what is the problem ?

15. Casious_

Nov 24, 2003
    True enough, but i think we did 'ok', i may be wrong.

16. Sauja-Dupen

Sauja-Dupen Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 22, 1999
    There was a lot of very original and creative elements in the this batch.

From smoke wafting from wounds to scortch marks on stone, to fabulous costumes to live action/cg interaction.

Congratulations to all the participants, they were really fun to watch.

Sauja

17. Noobie_Wan_Kenobi

Noobie_Wan_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 3, 2004
    I tried the first 3 files. And it sometimes sounds like you fast forward a cd.

Edit Rebooted my computer. Problem solved. :)

18. FriarStrong

FriarStrong Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 29, 2003
    in response to the 180 degree post, I remember the first time we filmed ours we broke it once, and it just ruined the flow of the whole thing, it looked awful. Every time anyone saw it they would do a double take and wouldn't be sure why. So yeah, its quite important. Where did you see it in here? I didn't notice too much,.

19. JEDIBYKNIGHT

Jan 17, 2001
    it sometimes sounds like you fast forward a cd.

Just went back and checked those files. Not hearing anything weird. I compressed all high res files (except entries 8, 9 and 10) in 96 kps MP3, with decent frequency. I made sure every video was fine, so it is a bit of a surprise there.

Sage, told you we'd soon get technical trouble. ;)

Anyone else having that problem ?

EDIT : Cool, problem solved. :)

20. Sauja-Dupen

Sauja-Dupen Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 22, 1999
    Friar
    You should post that in the other thread it really helps his point, which is an important one.

Entry 10

This is the one I vote for, I found it pretty cool.

But there was one continuity error, after the first time the lightsaber was dropped, it was off, but when he went to pick it up, it was on before he put his hand on it. ;)

Other than that little knit pick, it was really well done.

They all were really, but #10 just grabbed me more than the others (and the lighting was very consistent) you guys picked a really good overcast day to shoot. Good job!

Sauja

21. Spiderfan

Mar 9, 2004
    Where did you see it in here? I didn't notice too much.

To be frank I would rather not step on anyone's toes more then I have. Everyone put a lot of effort into these and I don't want to be the guy pointing out specific mistakes. I just want people to be aware that these mistakes are being made so that they can watch out for them in the future. It would be unfair of me to point to specific videos.

22. Xorbo

Xorbo Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 28, 2003
    none of them really did anything for me except number 3.

10 would have been better with sound, unless theres something now wrong with my computer. some parts were good, and it looked good visually. although 3 wasnt a lightsaber fight or anything near one, it was very impressive and gets my vote.

23. Covax

Covax Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 2003
    My thoughts,

The Clear Winner:
    #3 - Darklore vs Niget Minja
    Best so far. Love the lighting change when weapons get involved.
    The ?Contender? Category:
    #7 - Not A Forest
    Chicks with sticks! I must admit, you made me laugh, odd ending though. Can?t wait to see this one rotoscoped!

#8 - Digital Magic/Biped
    Props on the animation, great use of camera angles. Give this boy a budget!
    The ?Meh? Category:
    #1 - Adam vs Gary
    Best parts were just before and after "Prison Rules then?", most everything else is a RvD take.

#10 - Flyte vs Wilson
    Was lookin? REAL GOOD but then it became Ryan vs Dorkman 2... and where?s the music??

#9 - Short but Sweet
    Had a bit of an edge to it, would be curious to see the final version.

#5 - Crickmer vs Sallee
    I must admit that it was rather brave of you to have a saber fight in your house... dark side?s nothing compared to an angry Mom...

#2 - Goldleader23 Pictures (Submission 1)
    Never though either guys was in peril. Saber sounds should have been replaced with kung-fu stick sounds.

#6 - Lightsaber Thingy with Awesome Hill
    Gotta give you points for the scorch marks...

#4 - Goldleader23 Picturers (Submission 2)
    Meh. All I can say is they at least tried, which is more then most.

24. JediXXL

JediXXL Force Ghost star 6

Apr 11, 2003
    You guys all did an awesome job and deserve something for your efforts!

25. BobaFett_YJN

BobaFett_YJN Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2001
    Can't wait to see #7 rotoscoped.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.