main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chris Hanel - Come on down!

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by DaftMaul, Aug 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    As many of you may know, Chris Hanel is working on the TFN Humour site, and has been for a while. He is now also going to officially moderate the fanfilm forum.

We want to develop the site further, which takes time, so Max and I are going to spend a little more time on that, and a little less moderating the board. Hence the need for additional help.

I'm sure you will join me in wishing Chris well :)

2. CarlCampbell

CarlCampbell Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 28, 2002
    You do realise that less moderation will cause riots and probably more uncontrolled sock attacks and OT posts, don't you? :D Anyhow, seems like you've got a pretty big task in your hands, so best of luck to all of you, especially to Chris :)
    Congrats on his newly acquired moderating powers! Let all he who oppose this Llama tremble before his wrath!

Carl

3. Bastion

Bastion Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 2, 2001
    Does this mean we have to buy a DLR T-shirt or we'll be banned?! :eek:

4. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    Oh, yeah, because we need 5 Fan Film moderators. //rolls eyes

I'm sorry, and congrats Chris, but I think it's overkill. When other forums have but one moderator but get a hell of a lot more traffic, and we've got 5, that's just plain wrong. 4, maybe, because Azeem isn't here half the time...but Chris too? Come on...

EDIT: Also, it's beginning to look like the requirements to be a mod include making a Fan Film hosted by TF.N. Maybe if we needed a new mod, you could pick one based on their merits as a potential moderator, not that they made a popular film.

5. Nathan PTH

Nathan PTH Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2000
    Where exactly does Kurt fall into the "must have a film hosted" category?

And, honestly, 5 isn't too bad. We're approaching 10 over at the Galactic Senate boards, and we get only about twice the volume of this board, I think.

6. EagleIFilms

Apr 6, 2001
    Where exactly does Kurt fall into the "must have a film hosted" category?

I'm talking about RECENT mods...David, Dave, and now Chris.

And, honestly, 5 isn't too bad. We're approaching 10 over at the Galactic Senate boards, and we get only about twice the volume of this board, I think.

I was referring to the boards at the JC. Surely there is another board that could have used another moderator more than this one. I haven't seen a situation yet when there wasn't a mod around to fix something here, we are rather well modded.

7. Master_Comyn

Master_Comyn Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2000
    Ya know, I wouldn't be surprised if Chris has paid them off for this.... 8-}

But congratulations, Dr. Hanel.

And Eagle, I'm sure this promotion is not due to his popularity status or anything of that nature. Besides, I can't see you bitter towards him for long. ;)

EDIT: Actually, it may be based somewhat on a popularity standing. What good would it do to grant modship to an unknown. Furthermore, they'd have to have filmmaking experience and have been a dedicated part of this community. And perhaps others have been considered for modship, but turned it down due to busy schedules.

Or as I mentioned to Eagle earlier in an IM conversation, perhaps I just blindly trust the mods leadership.

Either way, I really don't care. The more the merrier. Welcome to the royal family, Mr. Hanel!

8. EagleIFilms

Apr 6, 2001
    Besides, I can't see you bitter towards him for long.

I ain't bitter towards him at all, except that he hasn't uploaded DLR: PG two days in a row he said he would, but that's beside the point. [face_mischief]

I'd just like to know why the moderation staff felt we needed MORE moderation.

9. MaxVeers

MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    Eagle, I had the same concern as you at first. But DaftMaul and Azeem are now basically spending most of their time on the site, and Lord_Rive doesn't have the free time to constantly moderate this forum. That leaves only me here, and I could use the help, too.

10. PadawanNick

PadawanNick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    Wow, the mods here are really shaping up to be a FanFilm dream team of their own! Another congrats to TFN for a worthy selection and to Chris for having stepping up to the challenge.

I don't know what the traffic is like on the other boards, but it seems to me that it really makes sense to have another mod around here. There have been several instances in the past few months when things have gotten out of hand and there were no mods on line at all. These guys are all busy people, with jobs and families and even other boards to attend to.

Looking forward to the web site updates too!!

Have fun guys!

11. EagleIFilms

Apr 6, 2001
    Wait, did my post dissapear?

Well, I said like half an hour ago that what Kurt said made sense.

12. PadawanNick

PadawanNick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    Maybe Chris deleted your post. ;)

Have fun.

13. Azeem

Azeem TFN Staff, Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 12, 1999
    Whether we needed another mod or not, because Chris is working as a TFN Staff member, he should be a moderator if he is in the forum anyways.

If Josh, Anthony, Carter, or any other staff member visited the forum, I would want them doing mod duties too.

If we keep with the have made a film trend; Fenn, Vidman, Banshee, will be next mods :)

14. Nathan PTH

Mar 11, 2000
    Oh that's nice. Punish them for making films, why doncha? ::smirk::

And, on the whys of Chris, there's another way to look at it:

Sure, he's a TFN staffer, and he's made a film, but if you've ever had a chance to talk to the guy for an extended period of time, he's also one of a select few people I speak to regularly whom you could say truly has good character. A mod needs to be helpful, but true to their duties, and essentially the same thing that people in my profession (teaching) have to be each day: part social worker, part info source, part leader, part guide, part traffic cop. Only someone with good character (certainly better than mine at times, as I'm sure many other would agree to of themselves as well) can pull off those duties with great success. It makes Chris the logical choice for the job.

I don't envy him the time he'll end up spending doing so (gawd, I know how that goes over at GS), but it was a good choice.

(Now if Mark came back and they made HIM a mod, that's another thing...)

15. EagleIFilms

Apr 6, 2001
    If we keep with the have made a film trend; Fenn, Vidman, Banshee, will be next mods

Well, Fenn and Banshee I don't see that much, but yes, the way this is going, you're going to make Vidman a mod one of these days.

16. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Who's the bitterest man in the living room? the bitterest man in the living room?

17. TheRealFennShysa

TheRealFennShysa TFN FanFilms Staff star 4 VIP

Oct 7, 2000
    While I don't *post* every day, I'm in here every day... I lurk... :D

Fenn

18. Master_Comyn

Master_Comyn Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2000
    Shouldn't that be most bitter?

Or perhaps I should get out more....

*reaches for Eagle's doughnut*

19. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Maybe, but I was quoting Chandler in Friends :p

20. EagleIFilms

Apr 6, 2001
    *reaches for Eagle's doughnut*

Hey!

21. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    SHUNNED BY HOLLYWOOD AGAIN !!! :_|

A mod needs to be helpful, but true to their duties, and essentially the same thing that people in my profession (teaching) have to be each day: part social worker, part info source, part leader, part guide, part traffic cop. Only someone with good character (certainly better than mine at times, as I'm sure many other would agree to of themselves as well) can pull off those duties with great success . . .

Dude ... that is TOTALLY me :D

To all my loyal Fans and Cult Activists - Join me in CHEER . . . .

HEY ... HEY ... HEY ...
    TAC WILL HAVE HIS DAY !!!
    HEY ... HEY ... HEY ...
    TAC IS HERE TO STAY !!!
    ZIS-BOOM-BAH ...
    NOTHING RHYMES WITH BAH . . .
    [face_plain]

heheehehehehehe - Sorry, couldn't resist. :D

CONGRATS CHRIS !!!
    (Just PLEASE don't suspend/ban me) ;)

JediTAC
    Self-Proclaimed TACtivist Cult Leader

22. DarthZome

DarthZome Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 17, 2000
    HEY ... HEY ... HEY ...
    TAC WILL HAVE HIS DAY !!!
    HEY ... HEY ... HEY ...
    TAC IS HERE TO STAY !!!
    ZIS-BOOM-BAH ...
    NOTHING RHYMES WITH BAH . . .

Paid for by the committee to elect Tac for Moderator.

23. Nathan PTH

Mar 11, 2000
    Let me rephrase:

Now if they let TAC or Mark be mods...

;)

Tac, you'd suck as a mod. It'd force you to curtail most of those highly editorialized reviews in lieu of something more palatable to all and more sanitized to come from the "mouth" of a TFN representative. You'd be deprived of any personality.

24. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    "sanitized to come from the "mouth" of a TFN representative. You'd be deprived of any personality"

I may or may not agree with that statement.

I also may or may not wish to welcome the aforementioned "Chris_Hanel" as an official moderator.

;) :D

¤Night

25. citizen-tom

citizen-tom Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    4554--I am upset with you. I asked you a few weeks ago to change your underline colour. You said you weren't able to! And now this? tsk tsk tsk

The Topic at hand--Good choice. w00t w00t for chris

EDIT--Can we have his title say 'Chris the All-powerful mod'

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.