main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

2. Enter the Episode IX Treatment Contest! Details here!

3. A Rule For Everyone To See:

The New Films staff strive to create a fun and welcoming environment for all users. This forum is a place for discussing the films, which means that you think the films are worth discussing. Constructive criticism (as deemed by the moderating staff) is welcome and encouraged. Bashing of any kind will not be tolerated anywhere outside The Sanctuary thread. See the new rules thread here. Bans can and will be handed out to anyone who doesn't abide by the forum rules.

Discussion Chris Terrio to Co-write Episode IX

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Episode IX - Spoilers Allowed' started by seasider, Dec 26, 2017.

1. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Maybe Terrio will give us a massive dark side monster!

oncafar likes this.
  2. MasterPrince713

MasterPrince713 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 13, 2017
    You make jokes, but I'm all for Kylo Ren seeking a giant, nightmarish dark side monster instead of another disgusting creature scene like with Luke and the space walrus or Finn and the alien warthog.

oncafar and mlsw like this.
  3. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Good point. We've seen creatures so far but they haven't done much more than chirp, cry, snort, and squirt blue milk.

oncafar likes this.
  4. MasterPrince713

Sep 13, 2017
    Eh, in fairness we got the Rathtars, but they were pretty much a callback to the Trash Compactor creature, the Mynock and space slug as well as the Rancor.

A monster that'd be a ripoff of Spider-Man's Symbiote nemesis seems to be right up these peoples' alley and they technically own Marvel too.

oncafar likes this.
  5. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 25, 2014
    I'm surprised that this actually was brought up. 13:08 - onward:

6. Gemlake

Gemlake Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 9, 2015
    I enjoyed Argo enough to give Terrio a pass on co-writing Batman v. Superman. He's known for doing extensive preparation for his screenplays, including a heavy focus
    on lore and world building. For BvS, he researched "everything from ideas about American power to the structure of revenge tragedies to the huge canon of DC Comics to Amazon mythology." https://screenrant.com/star-wars-episode-9-chris-terrio-bvs-writer/2/

I think he could be a good fit for JJ, as he could provide a thematically dense screenplay, and JJ could translate that for a broad audience.

Terrio also has experience writing the third movie in a trilogy. Although this is perhaps stating the obvious, he said in an interview: "the middle film tends to be the darkest one. I do think Man of Steel through Justice League, it is one saga really. . . . I felt compellted to go back and try to lift us and myself into a different tonal place because I think when you write a darker film, sometimes you want to redeem it all a bit."

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
    oncafar and Mostly Handless like this.
  7. seasider

seasider Jedi Master star 1

Mar 12, 2002
    The thing about screenwriters is if you're in Hollywood long enough, you're gonna be associated with movies that turn out to be real stinkers and unfortunately it follows you around. I mean you look at Akiva Goldsman who has been writer/director for over 2 decades now and been involved in tons of movies and TV shows and he's won an Oscar but yet whenever his name gets brought up on a blog, the blogger is quick to point out his involvement in Batman and Robin. A movie that happened over 20 years ago.

In Terrio's case, he doesn't have a long enough resume to accurately gauge how he's gonna approach Episode IX. But knowing Abrams, he will have the most influence over what ends up as the final draft.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  8. Nipuhanipera

May 25, 2014
    I don't know if I'm that generous. I mean, if Aaron Sorkin wrote something as bad as BvS, I'd be skeptical about his next project.

9. mlsw

mlsw Jedi Knight star 3

May 30, 2017
    I enjoyed and a lot Argo too. It really is one of the movies I've loved most in the last years.
    I still hold my breath every time I see it.
    But the main accomplishment of the movie, to me, is how the hystorical context is described.
    How the audience is provided of all the information needed to understand what was going on
    at that time, without the movie - or the characters and the conversations between them - to be
    pedantic. That is not easy at all.

But I don't know why Terrio was chosen.
    Because when it comes to BvsS, and that interview - @Gemlake - that is what scares me.
    I hope he'll dig into the SW lore.
    Which is already full of all the "mithology" needed... to end the Skywalker Saga.

What I want, it's a movie to close that tale.
    Something that may put it all together.
    Then, do whatever you want finding inspiration wherever it may please you...
    but please, before, give us a sense of closure.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  10. Nipuhanipera

May 25, 2014
    I very much would want to hear that boardroom discussion.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    mlsw likes this.
  11. MasterPrince713

Sep 13, 2017
    Looking back at it all, I'm finding the SW verse, (the Legends portion of it anyway), to be comparable to a lesser Marvel/DC multiverse. Perhaps they're trying to give SW that sort of feel since Terrio was part of the DC verse.