main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Christianity Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabba-wocky, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    You mean the VelociRapture?

slightly_unhinged likes this.
  2. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
  3. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

[​IMG]

4. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    Let me pose a question to all the non Christians.

Assuming that Jesus really lived, He was a Jew, raised on the Torah. Exodus specifically states, in the Ten Commandments, "You shall have no other gods before Me." Worshiping other gods was idolatry, as the Israelites found in Judges, Kings, and Chronicles. After the Exile, though, they never fell back into the old practices that brought judgement on them in much of the OT.

Jesus would have known that the Torah forbade worshiping anyone other than Jehovah. Yet, in the New Testament, it is specifically stated that others worshiped Him as God, a worship that He did NOT try to stop. If He was merely a man like the rest of us, and not God in the flesh, then He would have stopped them from doing so, but He did not.

Does that not point to Him being more than a mere man?

Sarge likes this.
  5. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
  6. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Wait, are you saying that evidence for Jesus being God is that he let people worship him as God?

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  7. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    I believe it is insinuating that if Jesus was just a Jewish teacher and moral leader he could not allow people to claim him to be God or worship him as God and still be a Jewish teacher and moral leader unless he was a liar or insane.

Jedi Merkurian and Sarge like this.
  8. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    You said it, not me.

Edit: Seriously, though, what was the operating theory with this question? In-text examples will get people to convert? You've got bigger issues winning over generalized non-Christians as a collective than whether or not Jesus was acting in accordance with the Talmud.

9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I do believe that a man named Jesus of Nazareth really lived, and was crucified for opposition to the government. I would go so far as to say that he was correct to oppose that government.

But I consider your question a moot point because I do not believe that conversations and events in the New Testament happened word-for-word as they were written.

And if I wanted to play along and say that they were...what Vivec said. His not correcting people who called him a god would not make him one, follower of the Torah or not.

10. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    You're assuming that what the NT says is true. It's not.

11. Skywalker8921

Jun 9, 2011
    He accepted the worship of those who believed in Him. Some religions simply consider Jesus a good moral teacher. How, then, could He be considered a good moral teacher if He was not who He claimed to be? If He wasn't who He said He was, then by accepting such worship He would be violating the Commandments, and how would His moral teachings have any credibility either?

12. Skywalker8921

Jun 9, 2011
    Thanks for the helpful reply.

13. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007
    To play devils advocate. Because either the New Testament accounts are wrong and he was never claimed to be God or worshipped as God. They were but he was a liar. They were but he was insane. Or they were and he was a liar but had good thought provoking moral messages.

14. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Well, I can't speak for all religions, but in mine nobody really gives a crap about violating a "no false gods" commandment.

Edit: Also, real talk, some of the vedic religions say he was a god so it's not even a lie to them.

15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Crap, double post.

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't know whether he was a "good moral teacher" or not so I don't worry about that.

I consider him as a martyr for Roman government oppression. What he did beyond that, I don't know.

It is true that if he said and did everything that the New Testament indicated that he said or did, he was either divine or insane. But I don't assume that much of anything that the New Testament said is completely factual so I don't need to make the distinction.

17. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    jesus christ.

here's the deal with the liar lunatic lord argument you're bringing up. those things are mutually exclusive. for example, he could be a liar and a lunatic. or a lord and a lunatic. or even a lunatic and a lord. indeed, if we take the OT at literal, face value (even though probably not even jesus did this), we get a picture of a lord who is also a lunatic.

so i know you specifically asked non-christians, but i'll throw my two cents in as well. i don't think jesus was was god incarnate, but i do think he was a messiah. he was one in a long line of attempted jewish messiahs, some failed and other successful. his was a particularly mystical and revolutionary brand of judaism, which is why it was so popular (eventually) and also why it was able to be interpreted in many different ways. i think jesus let others worship him as the other jewish messiahs of the time allowed people to worship him, not because he thought he was god, but because he thought he was right about what he was saying. undoubtably, some of the stuff he is purported having said was inserted later to further a particular author's agenda. so i'm not too worried about the whole 'i am god' thing -- i don't think he was speaking literally, if he said it at all.

18. Skywalker8921

Jun 9, 2011
    Other Jewish Messiahs? What are you getting at?

19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Brian. I think he means Brian.

20. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  21. PRENNTACULAR

Dec 21, 2005

jesus of nazareth wasn't the first or last jewish man to claim the title of messiah. there were tons of others -- some more political, some more mystical, etc. the only reason jesus is more popular than the other ones is that his message was broad enough and appealing enough to spawn a new religion.

22. GenAntilles

Jul 24, 2007

Or he was really the Son of God. At least that's the option I take.

Sarge likes this.
  23. PRENNTACULAR

Dec 21, 2005
    Well yeah. But you can't just ignore the other stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    no, the reason jesus is more popular than the others is that he was executed for insurrection against the Roman state and the story of his resurrection began to circulate almost immediately.

PRENNTACULAR likes this.
  25. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
  26. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Occam's Razor. The option that has the fewest assumptions should be taken as true.