main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Christianity - For Those Who Don't Understand

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by V8ER_H8ER, Aug 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beren

Beren Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 6, 1998
    I don't know, I think he may have understood it better than we give him credit for. Speaking of salvation however, does God choose or do we choose God?

2. Grand_Moff_Monkey

Grand_Moff_Monkey Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 29, 2001
    I think it really depends how we look at it. Let's consider the case of Philip:

The next day Jesus decided to leave for Galilee. Finding Philip, he said to him, "Follow me."
    Philip, like Andrew and Peter, was from the town of Bethsaida. Philip found Nathanael and told him, "We have found the one Moses wrote about in the Law, and about whom the prophets also wrote--Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph." (John 1:43-45)
    Both points of view are mentioned here. First it tells us that Jesus found Philip, but Philip tells Nathaniel that they found him. Both are true; it just depends on if you look at it from our point of view or God's point of view.

I believe that ultimately, we have the free will to decide whether or not to accept Christ. God, being omniscient, knows beforehand what decision you'll make. So, because of his foreknowledge of your decision, "finds" you.

I think both statements are true.

3. womberty

womberty Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2002
    Speaking of salvation however, does God choose or do we choose God?

I think there's one passage in the Bible that says, "No man cometh to the Father but by me; and no man cometh unto me except the Father which has sent me draw him" - so God chooses whom to call.

Then there's another passage that says, "Whosoever will may come" (paraphrased) - so anyone can choose God. (?)

So basically, God chooses who gets saved, but since you have "free will" you get to think that you're actually choosing him. (Just my sarcastic interpretation, take it or leave it.)

4. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    So basically, God chooses who gets saved, but since you have "free will" you get to think that you're actually choosing him. (Just my sarcastic interpretation, take it or leave it.)

One of the best ways to describe this, in my opinion, comes from the Book of Mormon. The prophet Nephi discussed how the Lord invites everyone to come unto Him by saying:
    For none of these iniquities come of the Lord; for he doeth that which is good among the children of men; and he doeth nothing save it be plain unto the children of men; and he inviteth them all to come unto him and partake of his goodness; and he denieth none that come unto him, black and white, bond and free, male and female; and he remembereth the heathen; and all are alike unto God, both Jew and Gentile.
    I love how he talks about how God invites us, but allows us to choose whether to accept or not. In reality He chooses all of us by inviting us (well, all except that one guy, and that other guy, you-know-who ;)), but we choose Him by accepting the invitation.

Kimball Kinnison

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.