main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Christina Chong in episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by TelemachosJr, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Luminous Beings Are We

Luminous Beings Are We Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2014

It is a big deal. Just obviously not to you. Which is fine. You're not alone.

2. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    there are more roles for women now than ever before. when will it ever be fair enough? should men be excluded? what more can be done?

the entire uproar is ridiculous because there are plenty of females in the cast and there were always going to be. no amount of internet consternation is going to make lucasfilm change the story to ep 7.

3. Luminous Beings Are We

Luminous Beings Are We Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2014
    No need to get all worked up. I'm not complaining about the additional female roles revealed in the past few months. I mostly complained when Disney thought it acceptable to only release one female role out of seven brand new ones.

Although I'm certainly surprised by the amount of female roles revealed thus far, I wasn't expecting Lucasfilm to change the story to Episode VII. Unlike yourself, I find great value in the backlash because it shows how important it is to so many people that women be given more than token representation in Star Wars. This kind of feedback helps to ensure that the opportunity for a wealth of female roles to continue in future Star Wars films.

I am both grateful and relieved to have found such voices across the Internet, and I'm appreciative of the education I received from all the sexists views out there who responded. As to those individuals who backlashed the backlash without expressing misogynist views, it was still a great opportunity for debate why Star Wars is perfect for women. Besides having Leia as a wonderful example of what female roles can be like, Star Wars doesn't rely on brute physical strength. Women can battle men using blasters, lightsabers, Force powers, starships, etc. This greatly levels the playing field.

One of my hopes for women in Star Wars is to one day see a good number of women on the battlefield alongside the men being treated as equals, both in death and victory, rather than receiving special treatment.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  4. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    I heard she plays "The Keeper." Her character keeps Luke's severed hand in a mysterious box that Ridley and Boyega find early in the film..

LANDO_ROCKS and thejeditraitor like this.
  5. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010
    Well without Leia RotJ would have been over in like 10 minutes with the Empire winning. Oh wait no, Luke would have stayed a farm boy if not for Leia. Yeah, that's more like it. Maybe the OT didn't have many women but it did make sure that those few were important.

Okay so now we discussed the backlash, the backlash at the backlash and all the erroneous ways people interpeted the effects of the backlash(the part where I was name-calling).

Can we now pleeeease go back on topic?

EDIT: Oh, I just had to ask.

What's the source? That new crazy "plot-leak"?

6. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    i agree with you on everything except for the fact that people complaining on the internet accomplishes anything.

7. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009

I don't think Liam Neeson is that good an actor ;)

Which droid do you mean?

Mace was written for Samuel Jackson , wasn't it?

Yoda? Heresy for anyone to think Yoda should be anything but what he is:_|

Jar Jar? In light of his popularity that would have been devasting for the cause of women in Star Wars [face_nail_biting]- and I like Jar Jar ;)

Wedge is of no conscequence.:rolleyes:

Maybe Chong's character will be allowed to expand.

And "indication that men will overwhelmingly drive the story" is an assumption - what if Daisy Ridley is going to be the central character of the ST?

8. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Final Warning: EHT asked everyone to play nice this morning and the argument continued on. Get back on topic. There is a diversity thread over in SWC if you want to discuss that topic further.

9. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    I think she'll play a wall that parcour boy will jump over

10. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009

And where was the "backlash" (an adverse reaction to something which has gained popularity, prominence, or influence.)?
    Disney and Lucasfilm were not injured by the "outcry" nor, to my knowledge, did they respond to it?

There was a backlash at the New York Toy Fair that Hasbro didn't unveil the action figures for Hera and Sabine, only the core male characters and that they're release date was much later in Wave 2 - Hasbro and Disney (I think) responded, apolgetically, admitting they had overlooked the interest in the characters in action figure form (based in part on past sales of female figures).

And perhaps, Lupita and Gwendoline are, in fact, main characters and , as I said earlier, the contracts were not locked in or finalised at the time of the announcement. Disney and Lucasfilm could not announce them. Filming had already begun when they made it official, which is probably how long it took to wrap up. They couldn't wait that long to make an announcement for many reasons.

Where in Star Wars are women treated as unequals - on the battlefield or anywhere else?

Where are females roles in Star Wars "tokens".

Since when is quantity better than quality?

Isn't it more important for the cause of equality that the roles for are superior in content than in numbers.

Abrams history will show you the quality roles he creates for women, and not just for the sake of making them women, but because they are made more interesting by being women.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  11. Darth_Corvus

Jun 17, 2010

I asked nicely for everyone to go back to the damned topic. So did the mods at least twice. Let this be the last post about this none existent issue and let us go back to Christina Chong.

CairnsTony likes this.
  12. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yup. First me, then mavjade. So now this is the third general warning for the thread. Any more posts on that and people will be getting a vacation from the boards.

DarthIshyZ and Darth_Corvus like this.
  13. Jedi Dragon D

Jedi Dragon D Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Hope she gets to play a major character, if her acting is superb. Although I am NOT sure how good of an actress she is, need to look into it. It would be something to be very proud of, if new Star Wars not just have more diversity but also very good acting to go along with that.

Hopefully JJ Abrams casted the best actor/actresses he could found.

IMO, no matter what issues you may have with the movie pre-production (Casting, plot) process it all goes away with Oscar-worthy acting like you get from modern day Superhero movies this year.

What you guys think about Christina Chong's acting?

14. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    Christina talks Dr Who. I'm beginning to like her more and more... ;)

Abadacus, EHT and Darth_Corvus like this.
  15. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    she's got way too many acting credits to warrant a major role

16. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    what? that doesn't make any sense.

DarthIshyZ and Dak Oolron like this.
  17. Darth_Corvus

Jun 17, 2010

It does. she's waaay too good to get only a cameo.

Jedi Dragon D: She might be new to star wars but not to Sci-fi with her role in Doctor Who and the lead role in Halo Nightfall. She was also charming in that interview Tony linked. Honerstly, I have high hopes for her.

18. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    what you typed doesn't make sense.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  19. Darth_Corvus

Jun 17, 2010

Which part?

20. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    it doesn't matter.

21. markdeez

markdeez Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2005
    Can't wait to see who is playing who!

CairnsTony likes this.
  22. Darth_Corvus

Jun 17, 2010

Neither can we. At this point even the hero/villain ration is blurry. I think chong was on the side of good guys in her roles. And she liked her death scene in Doctor Who.

markdeez likes this.
  23. Darth_Zidious

Darth_Zidious Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2001
    She just tweeted:

24. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Good now somebody can torment beg ask repeatedly till she goes insane politely ask her about her involvement in episode 7

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  25. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    I think it's for Halo NIghtfall.

Darth_Zidious likes this.