Christmas Finds/Observations

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by LAJ_FETT, Oct 14, 2013.

Moderators: CrazyMike, LAJ_FETT
  1. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 8
    In the run-up to Christmas quite a few stores that normally don't sell SW items here in the UK have toy/gift displays that feature them (amongst others like Doctor Who, etc.). Here's a place to let other folks know about findings. Please list your country if you post..

UK - local Sainsburys had a new Christmas gift display today that featured SW Lego keychains and clocks. I received a large Vader clock one year in a Secret Santa and I like it. Keychains included Boba Fett and Vader. Clocks were Vader and a stormie. There were also a couple of SW-themed coffee mugs. Also a pop-up shop recently opened in the local mall - called 'Menkind'. They had some SW items - mugs mostly so far.
    Last edited by LAJ_FETT, Oct 17, 2013
  2. Juke Skywalker Force Ghost

star 5
    Yeah, I remember seeing those Lego clocks last Christmas as well. I want to say they retailed for $20-25 (U.S.).

I haven't seen anything so far, but Christmas displays have been up in many stores since August and I've tried to ignore them on principle :p. You do see some interesting items pop up around the holidays and then disappear.
  3. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 8
    I really looked at the Fett keychain. However I couldn't justify the £8 price. If I see it elsewhere for less money I might get it.
    Last edited by LAJ_FETT, Oct 15, 2013
  4. Juke Skywalker Force Ghost

star 5
    The name "Lego" is a license to print money. Last Christmas I asked what my 4 year old Nephew was into and my Sister-in-law said "Ninjago" (A Lego line). I went to the store and when I saw the prices my wallet started crying.
  5. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 8
    Entertainer had some of the smaller SW Lego sets on sale today when I was there. Too bad the Fett key ring wasn't. (They didn't have it.)
  6. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 8
    The siren song of the Fett was too much - picked it up this morning when I went grocery shopping.
    Juke Skywalker likes this.
  7. Juke Skywalker Force Ghost

star 5
    My friend saw those new Star Wars lawn decorations at Home Depot. I checked them out on-line. They're pretty darn cool, but at $70.00 a piece I think I'll have to pass.
  8. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 8
    I don't have enough lawn for decorations. Mine is postage-stamp sized. (And since I have birdfeeders, decorations would get 'decorated' real fast.)
    Last edited by LAJ_FETT, Nov 24, 2013
  9. Juke Skywalker Force Ghost

star 5
    [face_laugh] Yeah, Star Wars and Angry Birds are only a good fit in the video game world.
    LAJ_FETT likes this.
  10. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 8
    So for those in the US, have you seen any good ads/sales for Black Friday?
  11. PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost

star 6
    I know the Kmart figure exclusive sets are going to be on sale - I think the Ewoks are going to be like $16.99 and the scanning crew like $14.99 or something of the sort.

I'm not going to be shopping on Black Friday since I'll be boarding a cruise ship instead, so I just bought the ewoks tonight (no lines, no fighting :p )
    Juke Skywalker likes this.
  12. Juke Skywalker Force Ghost

star 5
    Have fun on your cruise!

I was @ Wal-Mart today and the sweet greeter who's usually there in the AM stopped me to talk about their Black Friday deals and to schill the Wal-Mart credit card. I would honestly rather swallow a porcupine than do the whole Black Friday thing, but I did ask her if she knew if any of the Star Wars stuff was going to be on sale, but she didn't know. If they lowered the price of that giant Vader to, say, $19.99 I might actually venture in.
  13. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 8
    I've seen that Vader in the local Entertainer. They had it on display with a Superman of the same size. (Who would win that fight? Supes has strength but Vader has the Force..)
  14. Juke Skywalker Force Ghost

star 5
    Yeah, Last time I checked Supes and Vader were chilling out together on the same back end cap at my local Wal-Mart. It's an impressive sight, but it doesn't look like too many of either have sold. I think the big reason(s) is that 1.) For kids there's no play value. What do you do with a giant hunk of plastic that's almost as big as you are? And there's no Zod to square off against with Superman, no Obi-Wan or Luke with Vader. They're basically just big statues. 2.) Adult collectors who buy something that size are more likely looking for something "high end". These look pretty good for what they are, but I don't see too many people shelling out $30-35 for them. And they'd take up a lot of room!

As for who would win between Superman and Darth Vader? Pheeew, that's a classic playground debate right there!
  15. PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost

star 6
    At some point I will pick up one of those Vaders. If I hadn't had a cart filled w/ stuff that I needed I would've picked one up when I was at Kmart. (I might still go and get one.)

I wish they'd picked someone other than a freaking Clone Trooper as the follow-up figure for him.
  16. Juke Skywalker Force Ghost

star 5
    I agree. After 2 films, two "micro series", a full animated series and countless books and related merchandise, I'm all Cloned out at the moment. At this point I'd take a giant Rancor Keeper over another Clone.
Moderators: CrazyMike, LAJ_FETT