Pittsburgh, PA Christmas/Lifeday Formal Dace thingee thread

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by corran_16201, Sep 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. corran_16201 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Just getting this seperate from my post about the horror show in Oct.

Is it uniamous (SP?) that we want to have it?

Where at? Any word if King's will let us have music or not?

It still sounds like a really freaking cool idea to me.
  2. greencat336 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    If its going to be a dressy-formal-thingie, then I suggest we do it somewhere a little more upscale than Kings. What is the name of the hotel near the Harmerville Kings? They might have a nice dining room that wouldn't be too expensive . . . or maybe the Holiday Inn on 376 (between Squirrel Hill Tunnels and Monroeville) or the hotel right in Penn Hills (right near the Monroeville Exit one 376) . . .
  3. Stina-Cri Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah definately somewhere classier than Kings
  4. corran_16201 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Classier than King's does such a place exist?
    LOL

I can't remeber that hotel in Harmar right now I think I'm pretty sure its something Inn though.

So first step is to peg a place willing to have us for a good price. Any one willing to call those hotels to get prices? I don't have the # and don't want the long distance bill from hell my parents proably wouldn't appreciate that.
  5. Rox Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Before we go making any plans what exactly do you have in mind? Is this going to be something I need a date for or is this just going to be us? Also if we are having a Christmas party we're are definately not using Kings. I'm sure we could get a hall really cheap. Also are we going to do the Secret Santa thing?
  6. Big_Daddy_Payne Jedi Knight

star 2
    Alright, let me attempt to add some order here...

For the dance... I think it's a great idea, the only problems are going to be:

1.) Money. Any place we will want to do this at will charge, and I dont know of any of us, esp. with the holidays coming up, that can afford that right now.
    2.) Reason. Any big dance or thigns similar need a theme or reason. Perhaps we could wait and make it a Spring Formal or something?
    3.) Too many events. I never thought I'd say this, but we have TOO many events coming up to really make this work. Several meetings, a Christmas party, a possible Halloween party, a Secret Santa, etc., make this a hard thing to do right now.

All in all, I think the dance is a GREAT idea, but I think it would be in EVERYONE'S best interests if we hold off until maybe March for it. Just my opinion.

Also, the Secret Santa is a FABULOUS idea, and I say we do it. Rox and I are organizing a Council Meeting soon, and I will bring this up during it, so that we can set the guidelines for it.
  7. Fluke_Groundrunner Force Ghost

star 4
    Perhaps combining the dance and christmas party you shall try, hmmm?
  8. Mrs_jedi_1966 Jedi Master

star 3
    okay here was the original ideas from the previous thread:

This formal dance would be our Christmas party and gift exchange.

Dates were optional, but invited.

We all were to dress in our best robes, gowns, tunics ~ however.

The date was to be December 14th. I will get the names of the hotels in the Harmarville and call them next week. I will pricing and availability info at our next meeting. A decision can be made then.

The majority of people do not want to ahve it at King's = so there for it will cost people some extra $. I will go over the options and details at the meeting.

I'll add more to this when I can.
  9. corran_16201 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Thanks for putting the old parts I forgot about in there.

10. Saberpilot Jedi Master

star 4
    Okay.. idea.
    How about a semi-informal (meaning costume or dress attire) Christmas & present exchange party?
    (secret santa, I mean)
    We could exchange presents & dance & stuff. ^_^
    Oh- and the person who is my secret santa should be warned..
    I'm a SW nerd. ^_^ lol
  11. Stina-Cri Jedi Master

star 4
    Are you serious...I would never have known you liked SW if you hadn't told us....:)
  12. Fluke_Groundrunner Force Ghost

star 4
    Star Wars nerd? Only the coolest of Star Wars fans are welcome here, like myself of course ;)
  13. karateyoda17 Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Im in, but I REALLLY hate dressing up hehe, but I'll do it if its a must. Gotta get a tux eventually for the prom. I am all for the secret santa....but I cant really go through Xmas w/o giving a present to everyone.....ya me and dad are poor so heck it wont be much but I will try. I am all for this, its a great idea yall got.
  14. corran_16201 Jedi Knight

star 3
    I still pitty the poor soul who has to get Sal something I don't think theres anything you could get him.

Semi Formal works no one needs a tux I don't believe.
  15. Stina-Cri Jedi Master

star 4
    I hope I don' get Sal...I'd be like here it's a gift certificate lol, go buy the first thing you find that you don't have.
  16. Saberpilot Jedi Master

star 4
    Man.. watch. I'll get a sith or imperial for my secret santa. Poor sal. No one wants him for a secret santa.
    (although if I got him, I'd just make him something.. better than buying, and guarantees he won't have it! ^_^)
  17. Mrs_jedi_1966 Jedi Master

star 3
    hhhmmmmm thoughts abound on gifts for Sal ~ Qui - Qui - Qui = no one can have enough Qui Stuff Maybe the mystical 12" Qui could be the perfect gift for me, ahem sorry! ... for the man that has everything... :D

Formal I believe was meant as SW attire not tux

Don't make an issue of $$ Home made gifts are usually the best .. they come from the heart and mean so much more and have more value to the receiver, cause they know no one else on the whole solar system has the same exact item :)

Maybe that should be a new rule - all gifts for the exchange must be home made??

What's everyone else think? I'll take Sal if no one else wants him. I'll make him the best SW gift ever!!! :D BUT will he be brave enough to open it in front of everyone??? tee-hee-hee :D
  18. Rox Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    The way the Seceret Santa thing works is you don't know who has you.
  19. Stina-Cri Jedi Master

star 4
    I definately think we should make the gifts though because who knows who might have what.
  20. corran_16201 Jedi Knight

star 3
    yeah but than everyone one will want master to pick them.

No max if i get you I will not give you my Fett costume sorry dude. I figured you'd ask that at some point.
  21. Saberpilot Jedi Master

star 4
    LOL ..

(thinks of what she can make.. ^_^)
  22. karateyoda17 Jedi Youngling

star 2
    LOL Tom, you saw it coming. You used the force didnt you?
  23. corran_16201 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Yep, always use it though cuts down on how funny punch lines are on jokes when you already know them
  24. jedi_master_sal Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, I don't have everything and can at anytime pass along a list of things I don't have at this time and can readily update this (I do this all the time with Emily, in case she's out shopping and finds something she thinks I don't have yet,,,thank God for cell phones, this has made hunting for toys much easier)

Okay for the Ulitmate "Sal" gift? I know a little Jedi Master available only to FAO SCHWARZ that only goes for $600 is 2ft tall and comes with his own lightsaber. (Um that's $600.00 not $6.00)

Okay, to much huh?

Okay, If you get me how about making me a new outer jedi robe (the brown one) made of some nice linen.

Recently some other members (to who I won't name at this time, ha ha) complained that while sitting next to them at "THE MOVIE" I was making them itchy.

So that's one thing. As far as toys go, I wouldn't worry about anything new per-say, as I have that fairly well covered.

It's up to YUNZ though.

Have I mentioned that I don't have any of the NEW JEDI ORDER books yet (with two exceptions that I can't recall at this time) If you decide on this as a gift I highly suggest to buy them at Half-Price Books as you could get three in reasonably good shape and typical half the cost of what's on the cover. (hence Half-Price Books)

Okay I'll post a Secret Santa Thread:

Here will be the rules for this thread.

The "post-er" will post a list of desired items (give a reasonable description of each item) If said "poster" wants to add/subtract things for list do not post new but rather EDIT your original post so your secret Santa can stay updated as to you wants.

I recommend keeping the cost of gifts to no more than $20 with a minimum of say $5. This way for those who can't spend $100's of bucks on toys, (and who can) OKAY DON"T EVERYONE LOOK AT ME ALL AT ONCE! (j/k), can buy a reasonably priced gift.
  25. Saberpilot Jedi Master

star 4
    *applauds*
    Once again, your wisdom serves the council well, Master Jedi.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.