main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Bloom, IN Christmas Party

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by daemondred, Oct 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daemondred

daemondred Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 22, 2005
    Would we be able to discuss dates for the Christmas party at the meeting on Saturday, I want to make sure I can arrange coverage at work.

Bryan

2. MusicTrooper

MusicTrooper Jedi Master star 4

Feb 22, 2005
    WOW, this is thinking ahead:)

and it's not even_______[face_pumpkin]

much less, turkey day.

3. Jedi_Narf

Jedi_Narf Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 17, 2006
    I would like to discuss the dates for this as well, since Christmas time fills up fast, and Christmas time for me means the whole of December.

And every true HA member has to come to the Christmas party!

............. [face_laugh] OK, perhaps it's not required, of course, but it is nice to have all the local HA members (and any who are from out of town who can arrange to be here) get together once a year outside of the monthly meetings, especially since we haven't really done anything as a group in a long time (since the last Christmas party, I think). And besides, if the party is anything like last year's it will be a laid back occasion where we sip cider or hot chocolate, watch some classic Christmas specials, and generally just have a good time at one get-together where you're not obligated to bring a gift for someone. That's not so bad, is it? :)

4. echo-3

echo-3 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    This is so amazing, I was thinking about this today!!!
    Tim, Can you volunteer your place again? You do seem to have the largest space. I have a ton of Christmas theme DVD's we could watch. I'm ready!!

5. Jedi_Narf

Jul 17, 2006
    I chatted about this with the wife and she agrees that while it's a possibility that we could host we'd prefer this year that someone else do it, though admittedly the only other people who have a house that could possibly work (that I know of) is Mike and Sara, but I don't know their feelings on the subject. Both of our houses have strong points for a Christmas party, mine having a larger area around the TV for people to sit and the kitchen/food being attached in easy reach (plus the additional rec room which will soon have a TV of its own and the Wii moved out there), Mike and Sara's having the two areas for entertaining in, a fireplace, and much, much, much more of a Star Wars theme going on. Perhaps we should chat with Sara and/or Mike about this and see what they think. If it's a no-go there, I'm willing to say that at least for now we could host it at my place. Either way I'm planning on going, of course. :)

For a date, I'm going to go ahead and get the ball rolling by suggesting Saturday, December 1st. It's a full week before the end of classes and when finals begin, so all the students in the group should be able to attend without being either at home already or too frenetic about finals yet (last day of fall classes is December 8th, with final exam week and winter break stuff starting the 10th, so I'm guessing the 8th is not a good time because people will need to study and if we want any students to come all days after that in the month are probably out). It's also early enough in the month that not too many family events should be happening yet. Also, I just checked my calendar and I'm free that day, so if I need to host I'm available. Thoughts?

T.

6. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
    Dec 1 , is fine with me.
    I would volunteer my crib ,but it gets stuffy when we go more then 6 here.
    But Dec 1st is fine with me.

7. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 1, 2006
    December 1st works for me! :)

8. Jedi_Narf

Jul 17, 2006
    Sweet! We should definitely have it on the 1st now! :D

9. daemondred

Nov 22, 2005
    I endorse the first as well. I might bring up the topic with my wife to see if she would be okay with having it here. The minuses would be the distance and our three cats and three dogs, and no big screen tv. Pluses would be a large room for entertaining and plenty of parking on our property, plus the scenic drive to Gosport :). Those meeting here Saturday prior to the hike can see what they would think.

Bryan

10. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
    Sorry ( and I dont mean to sound like a **** ) but I am allergic to dog hair and I could not stand being in a close house for more then 5 mins with 3 dogs.

11. daemondred

Nov 22, 2005
    You didn't sound like an ### at all. I know many people can't handle dogs for a variety of reasons which is why I listed it as a minus

Bryan

12. PharrumLaxus

PharrumLaxus Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2005
    Dec 1st works for me, sounds like fun!
    I'd offer up my place if it wasn't a miniscule apartment!

13. LITO-JEN_VELASHUU

LITO-JEN_VELASHUU Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 21, 2004
    I've got the perfect solution to the "where to have it" question;

everyone just fly on out here to L.A. and we can have it at my place. It's decently-sized and you're all welcome. ;)

14. Jedi_Narf

Jul 17, 2006
    I think it's awesome for you to offer your place, but beyond Eric's allergies I think we'd lose several people (at least out of the student population) due to the distance. But it's cool that you offered!

And, uh, thanks Lito. :)

15. LITO-JEN_VELASHUU

LITO-JEN_VELASHUU Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 21, 2004
    Hey...I'm just happy to help! Anytime...anytime...

[face_mischief]

16. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
    If everyone is up for it and everyone that is coming dont mind chipping in on the cost , I would be happy to cook a Turkey for everyone.

17. greedofan

greedofan Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 13, 2004
    Mike and I are fine with having it at our place, but Mike may have to work. I'm going to urge him to ask off, but things start to get a little crazy for him at work around that time. I'm hoping to have some of our recently acquired artwork up by then. I just won the Williamson Darth Vader companion piece to our X-Wing Pilot Luke on ebay. Mike and I have been searching for that piece for about 7 years! [face_dancing]

18. Jedi_Narf

Jul 17, 2006
    I don't want this to sound bad, and I don't mean it badly at all, but I kinda think that especially for the Christmas party asking people to bring food and chip in to cover the turkey..... well, it just doesn't feel Christmas-like to me. And also we frankly have some people in the group who, at the time of year they are saving up to try and buy gifts for others, don't have the money to buy food to make/bring and chip in to a turkey pool.

Since that is my opinion and I like to stand behind my opinions if I voice them, I will buy the turkey for the meal. Christmas time is a time of giving, so this will be my gift to the HA. If Eric wants to cook it that's fine by me, I'll just deliver it to him wherever he likes (I don't know if he was going to cook it at home or at Sara's). If not, I'll cook it similar to how I did last year (maple butter and herbs). And while I'm talking about food, I'll go ahead and put my name down to bring bread, probably a batch or two of my rolls, or maybe some rolls and something else. But I'll bring the bread, assuming that's fine with everyone. :)

Just a thought, we might want to start getting RSVP's and food assignments done. If Sara doesn't mind I can take care of keeping track of that stuff here on the boards. Eric, it might also not be a bad idea to sticky this topic until the party is done, that way it's easy to find.

Thoughts?

Later,

T.

19. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
    Tim
    My reasons for asking for help on the turkey is this, Deep frying a turkey is not cheep. Oil will cost around $30.00 and a 15 lb bird would be around $17.00 Maybe I dint make it clear that I would deep fry it since I have the kit to do it. I would also like to cook it at Sara's. If you guys dont want to deep fry it then I can still buy the bird and cook it at Sara's. Cooking it at my place and then the trek across town would get very messy. If I sounded cheep or inaporpretate ,then Im sorry. Tammy would not aprove me spending $60 bucks .

20. Jedi_Narf

Jul 17, 2006
    I'm sorry, Eric, that's exactly what I didn't want to sound bad. I'm not accusing anybody of being cheap or inappropriate, and I'm sure you have reasons why you aren't purchasing the bird/etc. yourself, and that's not something I want to get into since it's none of my business. I'm just trying to be nice and alleviate the burden of chipping in off other people, and that will simply be my gift to the group this year. :) And honestly, I wouldn't have even brought this point up on the boards except that you posted asking if people will chip in. Well, I will chip in first and my chip in portion will cover the turkey. Simple. :)

Though I am a bit confused, as you posted two different numbers. If oil costs $30 and the turkey $17, that totals $47. Where did the $60 come from? Though it's moot anyway. If you need oil to deep fry the turkey, I will purchase the oil as well. Just let me know what supplies you will need and I will purchase them. As I said, consider this my gift to the HA; this is in no way to reflect on your character at all, or on anybody else's. This is just me trying to be nice. :)

21. echo-3

Mar 11, 2002
    Sorry , I meant to hit a 5 and not a 6. So its around $50. I think the we should just bake it so not a lot of money is spent on your part,even though we know this is your gift to us.
    Now , we need to start getting a RSVP so we know how much food to cook. If your coming please tell us here or email Sara,Tim or myself.

22. Jedi_Narf

Jul 17, 2006
    I think we need to take this discussion off the boards and say for now that there will be a turkey, and that people won't need to chip in. We can figure out the details on the side.

Well, I think we have enough solid info now to post the current details:

[general Christmas party information moved to newer post]

23. atataboy

atataboy Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 10, 2005
    I could bring a pie or a quiche and/or mashed potatoes or some new potatoes. Just let me know what you guys would like. Do we have any vegetarians amongst the crew?

24. Jedi_Narf

Jul 17, 2006
    Any of those items sounds good, and yes, we do have two vegetarians that I know of: Rae is one and Bryan's wife Jill is the other. I think both of them are regular vegetarians and not vegans, i.e. eggs are OK (I'm thinking a vegetarian quiche would be a good idea). Bryan, thoughts? Anyone know for sure about Rae?

25. atataboy

atataboy Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 10, 2005
    Thats exactly what I was thinking of. See if dairy is ok too. I love spinach and cheese quiche. Just let me know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.