main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Christmas Reading SW or Otherwise

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Isbeth, Dec 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isbeth

Isbeth Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    What are your favorite readings for Christmas?

My picks:

"The Star" - Arthur C. Clarke, find it in The Nine Billion Names of God I read each Christmas Eve.

The Mole's Family Christmas - Story by Russel Hoban, Illustrated by Victoria Chess
    Family Circle Dec 1969 I also like to read on Christmas Eve.

The S.O.B. Show - Elissa Malcolm in Isaac Asimov's Magazine, includes an Angel from Iago long before it showed up in TPM for all you Star Wars fans.

A Child's Christmas in Wales by Dylan Thomas, audio tape if possible to hear Dylan himself read it, but I have a lovely book with woodcuts I got for $.25.
    A favorite of mine for Christmas Day.

"The Shepherd" by Frederick Forester (I think). Fireside Al read sit every Xmas Eve on CBC radio's "As It Happens", a friend's favorite because he loves old airplanes. I like listening to Fireside Al's voice, RIP Al.

Saturnalia by Paul Fleischman, Great reading from Dec. 17 until the 24th. and the O anthems are all done.

Share some of yours.

2. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    Theres star wars christmas stuff?

Anyway I like the classic religiouse stories about Jesus.

3. Vergere

Vergere Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 19, 2000
    lol i suppose the holiday special can be counted!

right now i'm reading Skipping Christmas by John Grisham.

4. Shyviolet

Shyviolet Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 19, 2001
    Well, it's not exactly a christmas tale but I am reading them over the holiday break...The Left Behind Series.

5. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    Not a book... but I always watch Die Hard on Christmas Eve night. Very cool. :D

6. SCI_FI_NUT

SCI_FI_NUT Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 6, 2001
    In keeping with the movie release at the moment i'm rereading LOTR. At the moment i'm about 55 pages fromm teh end of book 5 in return of the king

7. ShinagamiWing

ShinagamiWing Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 21, 2001
    A Christmas Carol is always best...

8. Bogga

Bogga Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    I have no plans on reading anything holiday related. I am however reading parts of Democracy in America by Alexis de Tocqueville, along with Cloak of Deception by James Luceno. I may read Band of Brothers or Black Hawk Down too, and I want to read some of a textbook I have on film production.

9. Alderaan_

Alderaan_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2001
    Suggestion: read any Star Wars book while listening to Christmas music. You will have the most exciting Star Wars dreams that actually make sense! ( Well, it works for me, anyway :p)

10. Jedi-Corleone

Jedi-Corleone Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 28, 2001
    I'm also about to read Skipping Christmas. After I finish with Ellison's "Invisible Man". Hating that book.

11. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    A Chirstmas Carol. Ever since about 96 I've read it at least once a year at christmas time. And this year I actually got a hold of the unabridged version. (For those who don't already know this, Dickens did an abridge version of his story to read in public.)

I've also read The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus. A very good read, I must say. And I have, though I have yet to read, Washington Irving's Christmas Quintet (a part of his Sketch Book, out of which both The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Rip Van Winlke are more famous than these five)

On the Star Wars side, usually my Star Wars Christmas reading comes in the form of my getting one of the books for Christmas or my birthday (which just came this weekend, and please, no wishing me a happy one as it's no big deal to me this year). When I get them at this time, I tend to read it. Which of course makes it Christmas time reading.

12. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    I'll probably get Star By Star and one of Stackpole's books for Christmas, so there'e that... and the last 2 LotR books...

13. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    Ho hum. I'm gonna read the Lord of the Rings... I really wonder why...

I know, I know, this is not CHristmas-related...

(For those who haven't seen the movie yet : GO SEE IT !!! IT ROCKS !)

14. Arabwel

Arabwel Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 20, 2001
    (I will, I will, as soon as I can! Damn Ari-Matti, that lucky bastard was at the 00.01 show...)

I will be reading fan fic at Christmas, and whatever books I get as prezzies :)
    I probably will also read all kinds of old magazines that I find from the attic and such...

Ara
    (Jingling does not suit me. Neither do biology finals)

15. Shaeri

Shaeri Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 16, 1999
    I'm with you, PrinceXizor, LOTR absolutely rocks! My roommates and I can't stop talking about it, and a couple of us are hopefully going to see it again tomorrow night.

I'm hoping while at home for break to watch Braveheart and A Muppet Christmas Carol. The former I'm just in the mood for, and the latter is kind of a tradition for my brother and me.

As for reading, I'm going to read Fellowship of the Ring and hopefully part of The Two Towers. In between, I'll probably manage to squeeze in at least one, probably more, of the Wraith Squadron books. If I get any of them for Christmas, I'll probably try to read (or more likely bring back to school with me) one or more Harry Potter books. I don't really read very many "Christmas" stories; I don't care much for the holiday.

16. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    I've seen it twice in a row... :p 7 hours in the theater... I must be crazy... :D EDIT : Oh... And I'm going back to watch it tomorrow !

Anyway, the only thing I think is rather weak is the characters' depth... We don't have enough 'ground' to rest our grief on when it comes to grieving... But that's not Jackson fault... He did the best he could to squeeze it in a 3 hour movie, which is already good !!!

LotR:FotR Movie chapter closed. Back to the topic.

17. Sjorensly

Sjorensly Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 15, 2001
    yes you are...... :p

18. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    I have read many books. I'll be reading Fortress Draconis this year.

19. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    I'll read SoA :)

Would try LOTR, but the film hardly gave me the urge to try 'em

20. Isbeth

Isbeth Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    Anyone else with their Xmas reading list?

21. Savle_Sostas

Savle_Sostas Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 11, 2001
    Partly because I have to I'll be reading Making and Breaking Governments by Michael Laver and Kenneth Shepsle, but other than that I've got the Soft Machine and The Adding Machine both by W. Burroughs.

22. AnakinsGirl

AnakinsGirl Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 2, 2001
    "angus, thongs, and full-frontal snogging"
    and
    "on the bright side, i'm now the girlfriend of a sex god"
    funniest books ive ever read.

23. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Jedi_Jaina_Durron Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2001
    I'm reading Dune right now. May I say it is incredible. Read it people!!!!

But my favorite thing to read around Christmas time besides the second chapter of Luke (whenever anybody says that, it always makes me think of the singing group 2nd Chapter of Acts and the Easter Song) is One Wintry Night by Ruth Bell Graham. It is sooo sweet.

24. CloneofPhanan

CloneofPhanan Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 2000
    Well, I don't have any specifically Christmas themed books lined up to read but my favorite Christmas book is How the Grinch Stole Christmas by Dr. Seuss.

Right now I'm reading Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, and to follow up on that I just bought Prisoner of Azkaban, Demons by Fyodor Dostoevsky, and The War Against the Rull by A.E. van Vogt.

25. Fluke_Groundwalker

Fluke_Groundwalker Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 11, 2001
    I'll be reading:

Star by Star
    Black Fleet Crisis
    A W.E.B. Griffin book

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.