main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Christmas SW Book Recommendations for Srs Normal People

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Barriss_Coffee, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Hey all --

I need some advice about books. It's a weird situation. Some co-workers, who are srs ppl, want to buy a Star Wars book for another co-worker (who I do not know but is close friend of theirs) AND a second Star Wars book for his 11 yr old daughter, who is apparently a "fan". They asked me for advice for two age-appropriate books for the both of them. It was done all very srs-like.

I remember back in the day being asked this and recommending stuff like Shadow Hunter, which usually was a crowd-pleaser for SW-lite fans who just want a good story. But now things are all different and we don't live in the age of the prequels, so I need something more contemporary I guess. My first thought as soon as they mentioned it was the Shakespeare SW books, but I think they want something different for the adult and the kid (although those are small -- get the OT batch for the adult and maybe something else for the kid, or vice-versa?)

The 11 yr old, as far as I could tell, does not watch the TV shows. But TV show-related books could be an option if they're good. I haven't read all the new young adult stuff. And honestly 11 yr olds are pretty mature so I imagine she could handle a lot of the "adult" SW books as well.

So what do you guys recommend? My srs coworkers are judging me here, so don't screw this up and get me fired.:p

2. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Vector Prime. Confuse the **** out of them.

3. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I think the From a Certain Point of View book could be a good option.

Or either of Claudia Gray’s Leia books, Bloodline or Princess of Alderaan.

Diego Lucas, Ghost, Jedi Ben and 3 others like this.
  4. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Eragon

Revanfan1, vncredleader and DarkEagle like this.
  5. Zorkel567

Zorkel567 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2010
    I feel like Lost Stars or Leia, Princess of Alderaan would work for the 11-year old. For the adult, Kenobi could work. Or for canon material, Battlefront: Twilight Company, Lords of the Sith or Bloodline.

6. Shadowrain10

Shadowrain10 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 12, 2017
    Bloodline is a solid pick for the adult, and Leia Princess of Alderaan or maybe something like Before the Awakening for the 11-year old.

7. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    If the 11 y.o. is familiar with the films I'd recommend the Leia of Alderaan novel. I'm adult and I thought it was pretty good. It's considered young adult.

8. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Lost Stars is great, but let's not forget that it has mild profanity ("ass") and implied sex scenes. I mean, it's pretty tame and odds are the 11 year old has probably seen worse things on daytime TV, but you never know how strict parents are about that sort of thing.

I'd recommend Leia: Princess of Alderaan instead.

9. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    The Visual Dictionaries are good bets.

10. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    Ah! Aha! Thank you peeps! You're all awesome, braving the super-lagfest forum to answer something silly like this.

Zorkel567 -- Kenobi is an excellent idea! I wouldn't feel dumb recommending that to someone I don't know.

Before the Awekening actually is a good book for younger kids... I'll definitely suggest that too.

I've been on the line about Bloodline. I really liked it, and so did basically everyone here in Lit IIRC, but it had a lot of politics. I don't know what it would be like to be a normal person* and read it. Still, it's quite a page turner... I'll probably suggest that too. And maybe Lost Stars, although ironically not for the young adult.:p

BobaMatt -- I was thinking one of the big picture book/source books for the kid maybe. The TPM visual dictionary got me into the EU when I was a kid. If TLJ's is all cute porgs and stuff and not like, Hux and Phasma brutally slaughtering villagers, that might work.

*we all gave away or normal person badges when we signed up to this forum...

vncredleader, SWpants and BobaMatt like this.
  11. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    um

glove of darth vader

BigAl6ft6 and AV-6R7 like this.
  12. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    For your friend : Phasma

For the 11 year old: Ezra's Gamble

13. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    This one!

14. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    I think Stover's novelization of Revenge of the Sith is a fantastic choice for the adult. If you do consider them "serious," the psychology embedded in that, particularly from Mace Windu's POV, will really get them thinking.
    Any of the junior novelizations for the kid.
    Or any of the junior/YA novels from JTTFA (Smugglers Run and the like).

15. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    I concur with people on Leia Princess of Alderaan for the 11 year old. That or Before the Awakening since it ties into the current films wonderfully and has the three protagonists so if they dislike one they can move onto the others.

For the adult I say Tarkin since it is short, gives background to a known character from the films, and is not super heavy with EU details like Luceno's other work (I mean it is but knowing them is not necessary). The other big one I think is Phasma. It is so focused on one location and easy to follow (arguably to a point of being a bit dry in paces but maybe that's just me).

Also what's so bad about Hux and Phasma killing villagers? You trying to say something Barriss? :p Oh and some people still had their normal person badges when they joined the forum? Freaking casuals.

16. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Wow "super-lagfest forum" was NOT an understatement

Jedi Ben likes this.
  17. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
  18. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    What precisely is "srs"?

19. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Shatterpoint has always worked well for me when I've recommended it to friends who like Star Wars movies and sci-fi books but have never read a Star Wars book.

Barriss_Coffee, spicer and Darth_Duck like this.
  20. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Yeah, if the person is adult and familiar with SW then that is a pretty good book. It's probably too mature for teenage/young adult readers though.

21. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    y so srs

22. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    honestly I'd be obnoxious and get, like, Heirs to the Force or something similar for the 11 year old. Introduce em to the real Solo kids.

23. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    I mean, that's what I've been doing. The eBooks aren't that expensive, iirc, they're good books for kids who like star wars, and they're fun to read.

24. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    For the adult, I would recommend Luke Skywalker and the Shadow of Mindor. It's the type of Star Wars story that really could never be told as a movie.

For a younger gal, I would recommend either the first new Marvel TPB comic, Lost Stars, or any of the old Han Solo/Lando books.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  25. Pain and Suffering

Pain and Suffering Jedi Master star 3

Mar 8, 2015
    I would recommend Leia: Princess of Alderaan for the 11-year old and Bloodline for the adult.

26. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Before the Awakening, Tales from a Galaxy Far Far Away Vol. 1: Aliens and Tag and Bink are Dead trade.

Planet of the Hoojibs was a great hook for me as a kid too if you can find it!

[​IMG]

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  27. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    Lol... right Al, right.

Thanks folks for all your responses! I told them your list of suggestions (not you loonies Al and Hav :p) with some annotations, and they seemed psyched. I know they at least got Before the Awakening (the person buying the presents even ended up reading it and liked it! I might take advantage of this and lure them to our dark side of never-ending novels... muhaha). I think they're going to go with a few of them and see what happens.