Christmas TV

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by SithLordDarthRichie, Dec 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    The festive period is usually a time for much of the same stuff being shown on TV. But also new stuff and one-off specials tend to trun up at this time of year.

Working through the bumper Radio Times it seems there will be the usual Christmas movies such as Miracle on 34th Street (both versions), Nightmare Before Christmas & Muppet Christmas Carol.
    Both the recent Narnia movies will be on, as will Shrek the Third.

As for TV - Dr Who has the annual Christmas Special which will air on Christmas Day and features Michael Gambon.
    David Suchet will don the moustache as Hercule Poirot in the ultimate Christie outing Murder on the Orient Express.
    Upstairs Downstairs will make a return, this time featuring Keeley Hawes from Ashes to Ashes
    My Family will be back again the Little Britain duo Matt Lucas and David Walliams have a new comedy show called Come Fly With Me
    There is an adaptation of some of the Just William stories, some new episodes of the Swedish Wallander series and an adaptation of Douglas Adams' Dirk Gently

Plenty to look forward to it seems. If anyone finds out about anything else that may be of interest please post it here.
  2. DarthArsenal6 Force Ghost

star 5
    V the new series suprisly on channel V
  3. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    I have seen a trailer numerous times during programme breaks on BBC channels advertising Kindom of the Crystal Skull & WALL E as being on over Christmas, but neither movie seems to appear in the Radio Times. It seems odd the BBC would do movie advert trailers featuring movies they aren't actually going to show.
  4. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    I believe Sky One will be airing repeats of the Terry Pratchett adaptations that they have done. Don't have dates/times so far though. The Mail should have its Christmas TV Guide in next Saturday's issue so I should have more information then.
  5. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    I've got an update for you on those. Both are on BBC1 on New Year's Day. WALL-E is on from 3:00-4:30 PM. Indy is on from 5:35-7:30 PM.

And on opposite those on ITV1 are Harry Potter/Azkaban from 5:05-7:30 pm, followed by the first of the new series of Primeval from 7:30-8:30 PM. And if you like Father Ted, Ch 4 are running a Father Ted evening the same day from 9:00-11:50 pm. (I'll VCR that probably. I like Father Ted.)
  6. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    Awesome.

For those interested, here is the trailer for Primeval series 4. A thread for the upcoming series should probably be made.

I enjoyed David Suchet's programme on the Orient Express, it was informative and Suchet had great charm and warmth in presenting it.

Monday on BBC1 at 7pm is the first in a 4 part dramatisation of The Nativity story featuring Peter Capaldi. The story continues every day this week at the same time.

Tuesday on BBC2 at 8pm there is a new Top Gear.
  7. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    An oldie but a goodie. On Christmas Eve Channel 5 is running the Alastair Sim film Scrooge from 4:00-5:45 pm. I think it's the best adaptation of A Christmas Carol that I have seen. A close second for me is the Patrick Stewart version which was on last night.
  8. moosemousse CR - FF:UK South

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    The George C Scott adaptation, which is really most excellent. I'll have to look out for this other one though. I'm quite partial to old films as some are most excellent indeed with great stories and characters and none of this overblown visual effects and 3D nonsense.

Dirk Gently was rather enjoyable I thought.

When will Murder on the Orient Express be on?
  9. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    Christmas Day at 9pm ITV1 is the Poirot.

Enjoyed Top Gear, especially when they started a fire and had to put it out with an amusingly named drink. Still no new Stig announced, I wonder if they'll be getting a replacement since they seemed content to mock the character continuously for leaving them.
  10. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    Am watching March of the Penguins on ITV1. I've seen it before on Sky Movies but it's a neat little film, and Morgan Freeman's narration is a bonus. It's worth catching if it's repeated on one of the other ITV channels.
  11. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    Not much Christmas TV so far but what there has been has been pretty good mostly.

Upstairs Downstairs is a decent revival, Top Gear has been fun. I have yet to see Lucas & Walliams' new show Come Fly With Me but it looks funny.
  12. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    A presenter on BBC London was talking about the Lucas show this morning, saying it had gotten complaints since it used white actors in blackface to represent other races.
  13. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    Meh, they did that in Little Britain.
    Can't be a two-man show if they get other people to do the main comedy parts.

Robert Downey Jr did it in Tropic Thunder too, I don't see the big deal if it's done for comedy.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.