main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Christopher Lee knighted

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by SithLordDarthRichie, Jun 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Christopher Lee, famous for playing Dracula in Hammer Horror movies, as well as famous roles in The Wicker Man, James Bond, Lord of the Rings and as Count Dooku in the Star Wars prequels, has received a kinghthood.

With over 250 credited screen appearances (in the Guiness Book of Records too) he is one of the most prolific actors of all time.

He was unavailable to comment on the award since he is filming in New Mexico.

87 and still going strong, what a legend the man is.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8096881.stm

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'm glad it happened while he was still around to see it. It's way past time!

3. DarthArsenal6

DarthArsenal6 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 16, 2001
    ...and aboiut time too !

4. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Can't believe that Nick Faldo got one [face_plain]

5. Black-Tiger

Black-Tiger Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 25, 2008
    For once this knighthood is fitting the person.

6. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Nah, honours should be reserved for people doing things above and beyond the "call of duty". Lee is an actor. He's a good actor, but he does what he is paid to do. Shouldn't be honoured for that.

Unless he does a lot of charity work that I am unaware of.

7. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    It's all publicity for big name stars. I agree with hal that only those who go beyond their duty (such as Roger Moore) should be award knighthoods, and maybe those whose jobs have an effect on all of the world such as scientists.

In terms of the acting field, since others have got knighthood who are not at Lee's level then he does deserve one, but he shouldn't get one for doing his job well.
    I think the criteria for getting one these days is making Britain a big name around the world by doing exceptional work in your field, in which case Lee qualifies just as Andrew Lloyd Webber & Alex Ferguson would in their own respective fields.

I get the impression these awards would be done properly if The Queen had the power to decide them herself.

8. Jedi_Loon

Jedi_Loon Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 15, 2002
    Lo', hope you're all well? Lee also served during the last World War, as a volunteer in Finland and later as part of the Special Operations Executive(Gawd knows what he got up to with the SOE, it's all still classified I think). He was also part of the Sicily and Italian campaigns. I think this may well lend heavily to a knighthood as well as his distinguished acting career, methinks he has contributed a great deal to our society! :)

9. Black-Tiger

Black-Tiger Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 25, 2008
    Yes, that?s what I meant. I know from the hint he gave during the making of ROTK, that he knew what it was like to really stab someone in the back because he?d done so himself during behind the lines ops during WWII. This itself makes him eligible for knighthood, because I believe, if we?re to follow tradition, that only people in the forces (and maybe secret service too) should be knighted. I certainly don?t believe civilians of any kind who?ve never served should get knighthoods. Civilians should get something else other than traditionally military awards. Lee served, with distinction from what I can gather, so he should get knighted.

10. Moylesy

Moylesy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 4, 2001
    Methinks an actor as prolific as Lee would not really need publicity. The thing that miffs me about these awards is when some gardener on one of the Royal Estates gets one. Why?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.