main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Christopher Nolan's Interstellar

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Sep 1, 2013.

1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    It could be given the tidal forces generated via a massive body, like a black hole. The problem, and I do not have the answer here, is would the people be able to stand against such forces working on their bodies and woudl their spaceship be able to take off from such gravity.

2. wall of sick

wall of sick Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 9, 2014
    that planet wasn't one of the ones near the black hole was it? i can't even remember now.

3. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    All of them orbited the black hole, the water world with the tidal wave was the closest.

4. wall of sick

Sep 9, 2014
    right, right. 23 years. it's all coming back now.

5. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    As long as the gravitational field doesn't change much between your head and your toes you're golden. Planets get in trouble because their diameters are so large that the gravitational force at one side is different from the other. If you're in free fall, like you're orbiting the black hole at a safe distance, your body should be fine.

And like I said earlier, if they were close enough to have a time dilation factor of EIGHTEEN THOUSAND, they'd be meters away from the event horizon. The difference in force between their head and toes would rip them apart.

6. wall of sick

Sep 9, 2014
    so you're saying the movie is a load of ****?

7. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
  8. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    This feedback on the movie has been very helpful. I've rescheduled a viewing of this for whenever it pops up as an On Demand rental. I want a venue where I can control the volume and pause for bathroom breaks.

9. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    k Jabba if you insist. I mean, it really be should viewed in IMAX but if you're worried about somehow falling asleep then better play it safe.

yankee8255 and Ender Sai like this.
  10. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    If the movie's any good it will work on a high def tv. If it's as loud and problematic as everyone says then I'm not paying for IMAX.

11. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I saw on what a theatre called Emax, which is larger than their usual screens but not like IMAX. I am glad I did despite any sound vs dialogue problems, and the spacescapes with the Endurance in the foreground is worth the price of admission.

12. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    I saw it again earlier and realized something halfway through. Casey Affleck named his son Coop. Meaning his full name is Coop Cooper. Which, according to my incredibly flimsy logic means that this film is actually the prequel to
    [​IMG]

Darth-Lando likes this.
  13. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Which makes BASEketball the middle film in a trilogy ending with Wall-E.

14. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  15. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    All I know is this, it's been two days since I've seen the movie, and I've been rocking out this to this as much as possible.

Most epic part of the film. A scene done in many many films. The big hero moment. This one has to be near the top. What a great actor and an epic score can do for a film and scene. If I hadn't bought into Coopers character before, I definitly did here.

16. wall of sick

Sep 9, 2014

i'm warning you not to watch this movie. DO NOT WATCH IT.

17. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    If I can't trust the opinions of the good people on this forum, whose can I ever trust?

Ender Sai likes this.
  18. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

Seconded. I just got in from Interstellar. Great movie. You need to see this movie on as big a screen as possible.

19. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    There is not much info on the Endurance itself. I see it is 85 meters in diameter(the Shuttle is 37 meters long). Very roughly speaking it was going a bit over 40,000 mph to reach Saturn in two years but the distance covered would be greater than the closest actual distance of 746 million miles since everythign is moving(Saturn moves at 21,000 mph along its orbit). New Horizons passed Saturn after 1.5 years but it was not going to Saturn to slow down and exlpore it but continued on to Pluto.

20. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    My verdict: very pretty, very long, very depressing. Lots of forced drama, lots of "I know what you're doing," and then a bunch of weirdness. I thought the film was decent until the halfway point or so, and then I was just blah.

Visuals are great, with all the curvy lensy spacey things. Glad I saw it in full scale IMAX -- at the Air and Space Museum too, just for the extra lulz about the comments about the space program in the first arc.

21. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Crap, that sequence with the pacing and the music reminds me of something but I can't place it.
    I like watching movies on a big screen, but also get excited about seeing how they'll look on my TV.
    I really like the ideas behind the movie and how Nolan has a fascination with these subjects that we've all experienced or appeal to all of us to some extent: dreams, magic, space exploration, where and how Batman gets those wonderful toys. The last part of it, which could have been the most interesting stuff of the movie, happened too quickly and should have been stretched out more (while shaving some time off stuff before then.) I just realized I nodded off early during
    the launch and was in a sort of sleepy daze from not long after the arrival at NORAD to after the launch.

22. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    I've been trying to find this out from all of my friends, but they haven't seen the movie yet. Does Matthew McConaughey have a shirtless scene in this?

Evil.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  23. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  24. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    You mean he was in an OCEAN and didn't take off his shirt? This is a war crime.

Coruscant and Evil Incarnate like this.
  25. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    Darn, I guess I'm not gonna watch this.

Evil.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.