main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Christopher Nolan's Interstellar

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Sep 1, 2013.

1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    So, a quick shot -- but Bryce Dallas Howard at 1:41; are we potentially missing that this is a story in two parts -- he (MM) leaves when Murphy is a child and returns (or there are signals again, similar to their leaving) when she is grown?

TX-20 likes this.
  2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    We kind of need a breathable atmosphere and liquid surface water, although I'll give you that terraforming Mars over centuries is probably more realistic than FTL (I assume, unless they want the trips to take many years in the film) travel to some far-off hypothetical habitable planet.
    No. Despite the cast and production values Inception was pretty ****ing stupid. It's fairly original, I'll give it that, and I'd rather watch it than Amazing Captain Iron Thor Origins 3 directed by JJ Abrams. But the concept was silly and it used cheap tactics (e.g., the "levels," the "ambiguous"/lazy ending) to make people think they were watching something "smart."

That said, I'll give this film a chance. At the very least, yes, it's ostensibly original sci-fi and not dumbed-down Trek or something.

I also have issues with the idea of "abandoning" Earth, though not so much as a sci-fi concept as people who should know better actually think it will ever be an option for us.

DarthTunick likes this.
  3. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I caught the trailer before Godzilla yesterday. It wasn't at all what I was expecting, and it wasn't until Michael Caine showed up that I put two and two together and figured out that it was Nolan's latest. Heck, up until then, I thought it was a heretofore unknown Michael Bay film. All that was missing was an American flag rippling dramatically in the breeze and a beautiful young "actress" in Daisy Dukes.

4. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    For a film that steals its basic plot from the DuckTales comic "Dream of a Lifetime", it's fairly original.

5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Considering that those comics are not that popular in the U.S., I'd say the similarities are probably coincidental. It's also
    why I said "fairly original."

6. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I think the idea is that some strange space-time warp appears in our system, so Matthew McCwanhueghey goes to explore it, or something like that.

7. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    where is my meme of Wooderson talking about interstellar travel?

8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

It's all over the io9 thread.

"That's why I love relativistic travel -- all the girls get older but I stay the same age!"

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  9. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
  10. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Terrible you mean? I saw it on 4chan, unless there were some major changes I'm worried.

11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I'm not reading it for fear of spoilers, but if it's a script from 2008 and the movie is just now getting made it's almost certainly changed.

12. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Well ye gods, that was pretty terrible. If most of that does make it into the final script... :(

13. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
  14. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I am looking forward to this.

15. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    lord knows we need better exoplanet exploration movies than Prometheus.

16. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  17. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

Me too. I am curious to see this movie. I am looking forward to seeing them attempt to depict theoretically realistic FTL space flight.

18. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    :D

Chancellor_Ewok likes this.
  19. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004

Yeah.

Maybe Gravity has gotten studios thinking about wanting their own realistic spaceflight movies? God knows we haven't had too many of those....

:D :D

20. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  21. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Is it November yet?

GGrievous likes this.
  22. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I really want this to be a classic space exploration-adventure film, but something about the way the trailers are done -- how they spend so much time on the protagonist's family on Earth -- make me wary of whether that's a harbinger of how much time the actual film spends on Earth. Like a space Inception -- it's a good story, but it doesn't deliver on the trippy dreamworld premise if that's what you're expecting.

What I hope they're doing -- if they're being clever -- is hiding the really brilliant spacey stuff until the film debuts.

Sarge likes this.
  23. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    The movie is almost 3 hours long and I remember reading somewhere that the time spent on Earth isn't that long. I think the reason we see so much of it in the trailers is that they're trying not to reveal too much of the space stuff.

Also, I love the new poster. Even if it ends up sucking I would still want that on my wall. :p

24. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    I hope this movie is good.

25. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Seriously.