main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Chromecast: Will It Change TV?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Narutakikun, Jul 24, 2013.

1. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    CNET gave it a very lukewarm review. Specifically mentioned that the mirroring doesn't work very well (at least not in the beta), that's really the feature that I found most interesting.

2. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Big Bang Theory.

I don't know that this is comparible to the iPod, but if the technology is good and it's marketed correctly (at non-tech/gaming people who don't own consoles or fancy TVs), it has the potential to be big. Like Narutakikun said, there are plenty of people who are a bit slow on the technology uptake for whom this would be fairly simple to get and use.

3. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    This seems to me to be a flaw common to a lot of tech reviewers - they don't cut new devices the slack of being a 1.0 product. Of course there isn't as much content on it as there could be - content providers sign on when a device starts getting good sales numbers and/or press buzz. That's why so many media devices have trouble gaining traction - how do you attract content without device sales, and how do you sell devices without content? This is exactly why the biggest media devices so far have been game consoles, which at least have with some content of their own available to get customers started.

The Chromecast has gotten good buzz and early sales numbers, though, so I expect the content to follow shortly. A for the slightly-beta screen mirroring, I've no doubt that will be corrected soon too.

4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    But I don't like change! I want everything to be the same.:_|

5. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Aparently it's already gaining in popularity. The 3 months of free Netflix with purchase has already been cancelled (except for those who have already bought it) because of the high demand.