main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Chronicles of the Old Republic - An Old Republic Era Discussion, Index, and Resource thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Old_Republic_Resource, Mar 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old_Republic_Resource

Old_Republic_Resource Jedi Youngling

Mar 28, 2015
    Greetings and welcome to the Old Republic Resource thread! This thread is a revival of previous Index/Discussion threads that pertained to Tales of the Jedi, Knights of the Old Republic and its sequel KotOR: The Sith Lords. With the release of Star Wars: The Old Republic, there has been an influx of new material for this era, so this thread has been expanded to cover the story and lore associated with the MMO. If you have questions, comments, or suggestions, feel free to shoot a PM to the Indexer(s), or to this sock.

Current Indexer(s): SabyneAmberle

Previous Indexes (Please note that not all links in these old threads will be functional.)
    Guardians of the Old Republic
    Index of the Old Republic

Prior Indexers
    WyoJedi
    Commander_DWH

Thread Rules
    ~Please ask questions! If you’re curious about the time period (whether generally or because of something you read here on the Boards), don’t hesitate to come in and ask about characters, events, or other aspects of the era. No one will bite, I promise!
    ~On that note, please be respectful to anyone engaging in this thread, even if they appear to be asking obvious questions. While it’s true there isn’t as much information to absorb in the Old Republic as there is in, say, the NJO era of Beyond, that doesn’t mean it’s easy to understand. Be nice!
    ~Try to keep the discussion centered around the Old Republic era, unless the topic brings in characters/events/etc. from other eras. It just keeps things tidier this way.
    ~Speaking of keeping things tidy, if you want to have your stories indexed, please PM the sock. Posting links and info in the thread can clutter it up, plus if the thread gets busy things can get lost in the shuffle. Better safe than sorry.
    ~It’s okay to bring up stories during discussions, but please try not to just drive-by pimp your fics. Have a valid reason for posting info about your fic.

On the topic of Indexing your stories, here’s the preferred format if you’d like your stories added to the Index:
    Title:
    Link:
    Author:
    Timeframe:
    Characters:
    Genre:
    Summary:

2. Old_Republic_Resource

Mar 28, 2015
    (Note that info in these general information posts is subject to changes.)

Question #1 - What/When the heck is the Old Republic?

No good Era resource worth its salt would forget to tackle this question, so here goes.

According to Star Wars canon, the Old Republic era dates from 25,053 BBY (The initial founding of the Galactic Republic) until 1,000 BBY (The Seventh Battle of Ruusan and the end of the New Sith Wars). There are some folks who extend the end date right up until the Galactic Empire is established by Palpatine, but those are the official start/end dates.

The Republic was established about 200 years after the end of the Infinite Empire ruled by the Rakata (which dissolved at about 25,200 BBY). The Infinite Empire is not considered part of the Old Republic era, but belongs to its own 'Before the Republic' era. However, ruins, relics, and artifacts from the Infinite Empire continue to play a role throughout the Old Republic era; mainly as they are discovered by Czerka Corporation and other groups.

Star Wars media set in the Old Republic Era includes:

The Tales of the Jedi comic series
    The Lost Tribe of the Sith ebook series
    The Knights of the Old Republic prequel/epilogue comic series
    Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic/KotOR: The Sith Lords video games
    The Old Republic: Revan
    The Old Republic novel series
    Star Wars: The Old Republic
    The Darth Bane novels

Chyntuck, Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  3. Old_Republic_Resource

Mar 28, 2015
  4. Old_Republic_Resource

Mar 28, 2015
  5. Old_Republic_Resource

Mar 28, 2015
  6. Old_Republic_Resource

Mar 28, 2015
  7. Old_Republic_Resource

Mar 28, 2015
  8. Old_Republic_Resource

Mar 28, 2015
  9. Old_Republic_Resource

Mar 28, 2015
  10. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    With one exception, all of my stories are set during the Old Republic. So if we ever get the Prolific Writers' Index back online, that'll be where you'll find my Old Republic-era contributions.

I do have one question, however; would this era also cover material derived from the old Tales of the Jedi comics as well? The original KotOR was, after all, intended to bridge the gulf between those series (Vima Sunrider was intended to be the Bastila character slot, after all ;)), and it does take place only forty years after the tail end (the Great Sith War) and makes many callbacks. I personally tended to stay away from it, but that was mostly due to the artistic aesthetic (Space Egypt with giant bug-ships! YAAAYYY!!).

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  11. SabyneAmberle

SabyneAmberle Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 16, 2004
    Yup, TOTJ would be covered! I actually specifically mentioned it in my original thread years ago, and there were a couple TOTJ fics floating around.

12. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Good to know. :)

Incidentally, it has long been a part of my headcanon (since before I started writing "real" fanfic, actually; halfhearted literary adaptations of video games don't scan that way in my memory cache) that the Jedi Exile was actually Vima Sunrider herself. The chance to codify this into my own storyscape and expound upon the circumstances came about in the Tales from the Corps, Vol. 1 anthology, as well as The Cantina Revelation one-shot. Basically, I assumed that by the time of the Mandalorian invasion, Vima had grown up and become a Jedi Master herself, and only joined Revan because Nomi was no longer around to lead the whole thing. It just made more sense to me that the Exile would've been somebody older and perhaps wiser, who had had experience with the dark side; else how could she have resisted being drawn into the slow descent that was taking place?

13. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    It's good to see this here! Though I haven't got any relevant projects at the moment, I just wanted to leave a note of appreciation for the thread's existence. :)

Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  14. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    +1 to what Kahara said and glad it's happening. Hope the thread will include some of a "old Republic for dummies" index at some point...and that people will be writing some badass Nomi Sunrider fics. :)

Findswoman and Kahara like this.
  15. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Ewok Poet I'd be quite happy to lend my efforts toward a "...for Dummies" index, even if I don't own some of the resources like the Knights of the Old Republic Campaign Guide and other related sourcebooks. Though I also have a fair bit of experience with TOR from the Republic side, you could hardly call it a definitive account and I'm sure SabyneAmberle has more overall experience with the lore from that game than I do (especially Imp side as I never touched that faction, save for a very brief dalliance with a female Chiss agent who never made it off Nal Hutta).

Ewok Poet likes this.
  16. SabyneAmberle

Sep 16, 2004
    It would be so awesome to have extra hands on this. In spite of it being a pretty niche era, there's still a lot of details to go through. What I was thinking of doing was setting it up something like this:

~What/When is the Old Republic? (General overview, including years it covers)
    ~Notable media (ToTJ, KotOR/K2, SW:TOR, etc.)
    ~Notable in-canon events (Mandalorian Wars, Jedi Civil War, the various major conflicts before those two wars...you get the idea.)
    ~Characters of note (The Qel-Droma brothers, Nomi Sunrider, Vima Sunrider, the KotOR and K2 casts, and so on.)

And I'm open to expanding on this if need be, :D

Kahara and Ewok Poet like this.
  17. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    That sounds great. So each part would be a summary or spotlight on some topic/event/character?

Ewok Poet likes this.
  18. SabyneAmberle

Sep 16, 2004
    Mm, more like each post is a summary of a different topic. Like the first post would be the general, second would be events, third would be characters, and so on. I reserved extra in case of overflow, as well as for the Index posts.

Ewok Poet and Kahara like this.
  19. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Awesome! I too would love such a summary. And I would love knowing the fall/redemption arcs for Revan and Bastila, and also is Yuthura an OC? @};-

Kahara likes this.
  20. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Nope... ;)

21. Old_Republic_Resource

Mar 28, 2015
    First updated general information post is up. I'm trying not to get too technical with the information so as to keep it approachable, but definitely let me know if there's any changes that can be made.

22. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Old_Republic_Resource You forgot to list the Knight Errant novel and comic book series; they take place during the latter years of the New Sith Wars, but before the time of Darth Bane.

23. metophlus

metophlus Jedi Padawan star 2

Jun 30, 2015
    I'm creating a calendar and a list of character birthdates according to the Metophlus Universe (or Knights of the Galactic Republic). But I welcome others to use the info in their own original continuities.

The Great Hyperspace War of 5,000 BBY marks "Year Zero".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.