main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chronological Debuts of Starfighters

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndQuest , Nov 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Was thinking about this earlier and was curious as to when the various starfighters first made their appearance on the timeline, and what source features or references that debut.

I know the A-Wing and B-Wing start showing up sometime between ANH and ESB (B-Wing debut being, I believe, the WEG supplement Strikeforce Shantipole), though "A-Wing" Arrowhead fighters or somesuch appeared prior to ANH in Droids and in the Yavin Temple hangar in ITWOSWT, but the real-deal A-Wings I'm not so sure on.

X-Wings launched at the Battle of Turkana, though if they participated in anything prior I'm not sure.

TIE Interceptors again fall into that murky ANH-ESB timespan.

Delta-7's were unveiled publicly 2 months and 2 weeks before Geonosis; N-1's I have no clue, though I get the impression they were relatively recent designs which replaced the blue police cruiser model seen in BFN.

And then there's the plethora of EU-originals which are probably a little easier to lock down (E-Wings in DE, right? K-Wings in BFC obviously).

Fleet Junkies- Ho!

2. TIEPilot051999

TIEPilot051999 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 27, 2002
    Hopefully I can help out the Fleet Junkies on this.

The first chronological appearance of the A-Wing was, I think, in the Droids cartoon, known then as the R-22 Spearhead. EU sources states that Dodonna based the A-Wing on the design of the R-22 and retrofitted several R-22's as early prototypes.

I think that the first chronological appearance of the B-Wing was in X-Wing: B-Wing. Strikeforce Shantipole happens shortly thereafter, I think. (Or maybe it's the other way around.)

The Y-Wing was developed several years prior to Yavin. (Maybe even longer, I don't know about this.) The X-Wing developed shortly thereafter.

The TIE Fighters were mass produced based on the T.I.E fighter used during the Clone Wars, which may or may note be based upon, or may actually be, (ROTS SPOILER) the new Jedi starfighter. Presumably the Bomber was mass produced at the same time. Both Vehicle Essential Guides imply that the TIE Interceptor wasn't developed until after Yavin, as the Advanced x1 served as the design prototype for that model. (Don't ask me how this explains their appearance in pre-Yavin EU sources, cause I don't know.) The "Avenger" TIE Advanced and TIE Defender were developed after Hoth.

The Z-95 predates all of these designs by a good many years. (I don't know the exact number, but I'm pretty sure it's near the triple digits.) The Howlrunner and the A-9 were developed around the time of "Dark Empire".

That's all I know about. Hopefully it's of some use. I'm sure a more established Fleet Junkie can be of help.

3. JoruusCbaoth

JoruusCbaoth Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 14, 2003
    Yeah, the A-wing was introduced incrementally, the ones we see in X-wing lacked the jamming gear and the rotating lasers, but they had on-board astromech computers and concussion missiles.

The Z-95 was an OLD fighter, though I'm not sure about triple digits. They did release multiple models over the years though, the later ones were more X-wing-like.

Y-wings were a venerable design by the time of ANH, my guess is more than 10 years, probably 20-40 years old.

TIE bombers were new-ish around the time of ANH, many Star Destroyers still carried the TIE/GT instead.

4. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    I think X-wing gives us the debut of the A-wing shortly before Yavin. I'd have to go and check, but I think the opening scroll of the first tour tells us about the newly designed A-wing. You fly it on a scouting mission quite early on, too.

>>"Y-wings were a venerable design by the time of ANH, my guess is more than 10 years, probably 20-40 years old."<<

Callista and whats-his-name flew one during the mission to the Moonflower Nebula, x years before Yavin.

My notes on Republic starfighters put the debut of the new Jedi ship at 30.5 ABG - we see Anakin and Ben with the Delta-7 in the Rendili arc, but with the new ones in Obsession (and in A New Threat, to boot). Not sure when the ARC-170 debuts, but it's safe to say that one of the Torrent's first uses is at Muunilinst (at Kamino, Obi-Wan says that the Clones don't have any fighters yet).

I'll contribute a bit more later, when I've got my notes to hand.

5. DarthNoctambulus

DarthNoctambulus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    According to the OS Databank, a few Torrent units saw action at Geonosis.

6. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    Prototypes, thankfully. Otherwise we'd have Seinar designing fighters for the clones...fighters that they don't need!

Still, I hadn't spotted that - seems my Republic fighter timeline needs an update.

7. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    IIRC, a limited number of E-wing units saw action in the latter part of the Thrawn campaign. Obviously none are actually mentioned in The Thrawn Trilogy, but I think it was retconned after the fact.

--Adm. Nick

8. peregrine

peregrine Jedi Master star 4

Nov 18, 2000
    Z-95 was fifty years old at the time of Planet Of Twilight; so it was introduced about 5 years before the Battle Of Naboo.

Strangely, there were a few A-9s in the background in one the X-wing comics. I remember this clearly, but I can't find it.

9. Traest_Krefey

Traest_Krefey Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 31, 2004
    Don't forget that museums were buying Z-95 Headhunter by the time of the Bacta War.

10. dizfactor

dizfactor Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 12, 2002
    Z-95 was fifty years old at the time of Planet Of Twilight; so it was introduced about 5 years before the Battle Of Naboo.

there was a Holonet news article from 22 BBY that mentioned that the Headhunters were being discontinued, so can we settle on the production run of the various incarnations of the Z-95 Headhunter being roughly 37 BBY-22 BBY?

11. JoruusCbaoth

Apr 14, 2003
    Yeah, I saw those A-9s in the X-wing comics too. My guess is that a few squadrons must have defected to the NR during the post-Endor chaos, but that the A-9 was never a very popular design. It was still new enough (and seen in big enough quantities for the first time) that it was remarkable in DE.

12. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    I have a bit of a problem accepting the Z-95 debuting only 5 years BBNaboo. The Starfighter Trap story featured the Z-95AF3 as being the newest design on Z-95, meaning the only design made between TPM and AOTC is the Z-95AF4 [the type seen in EGV and the XW/TIE games]. That I can handle. But that also means that all the other variants of Z-95s [Mk1, Mk2, I3, ML, AF3] were made over a period of just 5 years, whereas I was under the impression the new variants were introduced over long periods of time. May just be a misimpression I'm hung up on, though.

13. Nightowl

Nightowl TFN Timetales Writer star 4 VIP

Jul 8, 1998
    Incom must have been taken over by an airspeeder tycoon during that time, and he still had the automotive mentality of putting out a new model every year. ;)

14. peregrine

Nov 18, 2000
    there was a Holonet news article from 22 BBY that mentioned that the Headhunters were being discontinued, so can we settle on the production run of the various incarnations of the Z-95 Headhunter being roughly 37 BBY-22 BBY?

That Holonet article just said that the Incom-Subpro partnership was over and AF-4 was the last variant they produced together. I think Z-95 stayed in production after that. This explains how they're still around as far in the future as NJO. Perhaps fringe elements or Hutts continued to make them.

15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I think that the first chronological appearance of the B-Wing was in X-Wing: B-Wing. Strikeforce Shantipole happens shortly thereafter, I think. (Or maybe it's the other way around.)

Chronologically, Shantipole is first. It deals with the Verpine asteroid that they're developed on by "Commander" Ackbar (he's promoted to General because of his work on the Shantipole project)...

16. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Did PoT say the Z-95 design itself was 50 years old? Or just a specific fighter(s) encountered? (ie: those specific fighters could have been 50 years old, and were merely produced during the even older production run of Z-95's in general).

17. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Promoted to admiral, dp4m. ;)

--Adm. Nick

18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Promoted to admiral, dp4m.

Yes. I'm real tired. Played too much poker over the last two days... ;)

19. peregrine

Nov 18, 2000
    The2ndQuest, yes it said the design was 50 years old.

20. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    (Grabs deck of cards and deals out hand of Texas Hold'em)

I can relate dp4m. A big part of my college experience is playing alot of poker with friends. :)

--Adm. Nick

21. johnthejedi24

johnthejedi24 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 12, 2004
    I used to have both the X-wing and Tie fighter games for the mac and i played them alot, I remember that shantipole mission and it was interesting because I always crashed into the top of the hangar with my B-wing as I was leaving the ship, and strangely whenever I got the explosion noice and some wierd static thing I always smelt soemthing like burnt wiring, it was very weird, I can't explain it to this day excpet for the possibility of the adrenalin ******* with my brain or something like that, it also happened during various combat missions and when I ejected. weird ha?

22. SWBob

SWBob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 19, 2003
    what is a TIE/GT? can i mabye get a picture

23. johnthejedi24

johnthejedi24 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 12, 2004
    The TIE/GT is a ground targeting version of the standard Tie fighter, it was used during the ANH era and before that to pinpoint targets for bomber version of the Regular Tie Fighter; these have slung underneath them either: Bombs, proton torpedoes, or concussion missiles, also possibly heavy rockets. Both of these ships were eventually mostly supplanted by the Tie bomber, which has its own targeting system and a much heavier payload.

Oh, and I don't know how to post links, just look up Tie/gt on google and you will find images and links to information about it.

24. JoruusCbaoth

Apr 14, 2003
    Overall, they're mostly similar in appearance to the regular TIE Fighter.

25. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Okay . . .

Bacta War comments Headhunters, while obsolete, are still in wide usage. Like the CloakShape, it is so modifiable its lifespan is extensive. Seti Ashgad created them "50yrs ago" from Planet of Twilight, 9yrs after Endor.

If Y-wings appear in ROTS, then that will answer that.

EGVV says the X-wing was an Incon design, but they gave it to the Rebels. So it's safe to say these designs take a few years to conceive; a few yrs before Yavin

Dodonna had already made the A-wing as of Yavin, according to Bacta War, so they were around before that. Maybe just no in widespread use.

E-wings fought against Thrawn, many sources say that. So they may have been created at leats a year before.

K-wings . . . NEGVV says they fought in every major conflict of the NJO. Doesn't mean they were created 12yrs after Endor; books are conceived and penned up to 2yrs before their publication date at times, certianly for SW. SBS was finished before VP came out, as Troy Denning said himself.

There was a T.I.E progenitor to the regular TIE fighter too. The Carrack was at least 30yrs old, so they had to have fought in the CW; Lancers came out after Yavin, so did SSDs.

Note: there are several models of Y-wings, B-wings and A-wings, not just the many X-wing variants.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.