main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL CIII - Should I...or not? ....Didn't.

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Jester_Fett, Apr 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jester_Fett

Jester_Fett Jedi Youngling

May 1, 2002
    So, My story is that I originally had to work/be out of town this week elsewhere. But last minute I found out that I didn't have to work after all. So?.I wanted to fly out an visit my 'ol pals of Chicago Force. We had a great time at CII (I rode there and back with Hazmatt, Dave, Phil, Rex, Matt, etc.). I was prepared to buy last minute airline tickets (or look for a ride back), book a room anywhere that had one available for a lot of $$$ (or sleep in Hazmatt's trunk at night, hehe), and meet up with the CF gang. I was doing research for the airline tickets and at the same time research on online opinions and pictures from CIII. I know, I know...everyone has their own opinion, but according to what I came across, I basically felt "warned" not to bother. I kept on reading that the lines were longer than CII, All the attractions were the same stuff as CII, organization was worse, bad weather, etc. So basically 2 main reasons I was still going to go was to see the CF gang again and I heard there were a few hot princess leia's in ROTJ gold bikinis.

So...I am at home now. And at least I look forward to seeing you all again at the summer BBQ and at the midnight movie to reminisce about the nights we all slept out in-line for AOTC.

I'll see you all there! :)

What do you all think? Should I have gone?

Jester Fett
    "Big Alex"

2. buzz57

buzz57 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 15, 2002
    You made the right choice Jester, C3 sucked ass. The lines were way to long, and you saved your money.

3. Hazmatt

Hazmatt Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2002
    Yeah, if you are desperate to spend your money, buy an iPod. You'll gett more enjoyment out of it than CIII could ever muster.

4. Jester_Fett

May 1, 2002
    Good, Whew, I feel better now.

Well, with the $ I saved..

Midnight movie popcorn on me!!!!

(Err... one popcorn kernal per person please)

5. shwanzi

shwanzi Jedi Youngling star 3

May 25, 2002
    Yes, C3 was crap.

6. darthgoat

darthgoat Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    I was C3PO'd.

If dealing with thousands of people, rude 501st volunteers, clueless Gen-Con staff, lame panels, lackluster merchandise, and Indiana is your thing then you really missed out. Otherwise you saved a crap load of cash.

Don't get me wrong. I LOVED hanging with you guys but we could all have come over to my house, tapped a keg and partied for the weekend and saved a crap load of aggrevation, time, and money.

Gen-Con is going to be getting a VERY nasty letter and email from me regarding the volunteer abuse of patrons and uselessness of their staff. I paid money to see stuff NOT to be yelled at by some dope in a plastic suit.

7. Bosh_Talk

Bosh_Talk Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    Well, I went there pretty much with the intention of doing nothing, so I never looked at the program, never looked at the schedule.

The only thing that anyone (out of the many that I asked) said was really kick-ass was the Rick McCallum panel..only because he showed a ton of snippets from Episode III that are unbelievably cool. However, most agree that it will also dull the moment for them when the movie plays, since they've been visually spoiled. So, I'm glad I missed it.

The Lucas Panel, being the only thing I wanted to see, didn't work out for me, so I missed that. But apparently it was anti-climatic as well.

Everyone said they liked Star Wars in 30 minutes, and 1-Man Star Wars. I've seen the later, and wouldn't fly to another city just to see the former no matter how cool it was.

However, hanging out and meeting all the cool fans from around the world is very cool, and the fan-creations you see are better than anything the con puts on.

If you go there for anything other than meeting people and seeing anything you have to stand in line to see/purchase/meet, then you'd probably be pissed...I'd be.

D'

8. Vicfett

Vicfett Jedi Youngling

Apr 27, 2002
    I had a good time meeting some of the members of Chicago Force for the first time and meeting other people while waiting in the long lines. I spent my entire first day in the celebration store and missed out on everything, even the opening celebration, I didn't leave the store until about 9:30. I was almost knocked down by a member of the 501st as I tried to take his picture and he pushed me out of the way like he had an important mission to get to. I think that this would have gone better if they had some people there that actually cared about the fans and Star Wars. I just want to thank all the people that I met for helping me forget about the long lines and sharing their passion with me. I would also like to thank GenCon for letting me stand out in the rain for hours, even though I arrived early to avoid the lines, and coming back home to chicago with a freaking cold. See you guys at Revenge of the Sith.

9. darthgoat

darthgoat Jedi Master star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    "I was almost knocked down by a member of the 501st as I tried to take his picture and he pushed me out of the way like he had an important mission to get to."

Good to hear that I wasn't alone in being treated rudely by those clowns.

10. Darth_Farce

Darth_Farce Jedi Youngling

Mar 10, 2005
    When I returned from C2, I realized I did not have a great time because of the long lines for the store, food, autographs, etc., and the lack of room to walk around comfortably. I had a hunch C3 would be even more crowded, so I decided to save the $$$ and stay home. Looks like that was a wise decision.

Why can't these folks hold "Celebration" at a real convention center in a real city like Chicago? Cheap bastards!

11. JodoKast74

JodoKast74 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2001
    Self edit.....over on C3po'd

12. Hazmatt

Hazmatt Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2002
    Midnight movie popcorn on me!!!!

(Err... one popcorn kernal per person please)

Well, while we were in Indy, we worked on that for you, too.

13. DarthAstuart

DarthAstuart Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    alex--sorry i didn't get your e-mail till just now--i was out of town for a funeral and missed CIII myself. (i'm also in california now so i know i could not have given you a ride!)

i'm betting you're just miffed cause you didn't have the chance to walk around at CIII and pick up an unattended bag stuffed with exclusive Vader figs. :)

14. flippingyodacola

flippingyodacola Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 27, 2003
    Im really sorry to hear about the 501st members and volunteers, but I do get that alot from them being that Im not 18 so Im not an official 501st member. On the behalf of myself as a volunteer and my father, I worked my tiny little butt off and went days without lunch for Gencon, just to have them over scrutinize my every move and rip me off for volunteer hours. I missed alot of stuff that I wanted to do trying to work for them, and I also was no appreciated. The volunteer shifts were badly organized, and anyone could do anything they wanted. Infact people who had volunteer badges get into everything early without ever having to volunteer, and completely ripped off all of the fans and fan club members. When I was working the store most of the first 20 people that went through my line were volunteers only because they could get in early. The woman from Gencon who ran the store never gave me or my cashier a break until I got literally pulled out of there. We never knew what was in stock until we found it, and in some cases much to the fans dismay, we never found it...They had about 20 cases of the Darth Vader when I left the convention, so I assume they are selling those, but it is unfair to the people who waited in line for 8 hours to get that cheap plastic piece of crap...

15. Bobafemme

Bobafemme FF Jedi Council Member, Chicago IL RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 25, 2000
    I am so so sorry you had that experience, Emma! I too volunteered and found out that certain volunteers were treated worse than regular customers (despite the fact that we paid for our badges anyway). However if you belonged to a certain group of volunteers, everything was wide open to you. I was actually turned away from the main door because I had a volunteer badge.

GRRRR

16. Jester_Fett

May 1, 2002
    Sorry to hear that you had to attend a funeral. But at least I'll see ya all at the picnic again.

"...i'm betting you're just miffed cause you didn't have the chance to walk around at CIII and pick up an unattended bag stuffed with exclusive Vader figs."

Oh yea, I almost forgot about CII and how I found an unattended bag full of 10 J. Sacul figures in it.

See you all next weekend.

Alex

17. RexGetz

RexGetz Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 13, 2003
    Hey Alex, nice to see you back in the boards. I SOOOOOOOOO glad that i did not go to Crap3. I'll see you @ the Lineup...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.