main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MidWest Cincinnati and Dayton FF - possible merger

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Krash, Aug 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    Ok kids, rather then trying to follow the conversation on both boards...I decided to start a topic here to serve as neutral territory. Not that I'm expecting there to be any problems or "turf wars" over this.

It's starting to sound like both groups are suffering from similar problems:

1) The driving distance among (and between) the Dayton people and Northern Kentucky/Cincy people. Basically, you guys are spread over a large area and everybody can't always be at every event.

2) Finding ways to bring people together to help build a FF chapter (or 2, which is double the work) to be effective.

Gas prices...yeah, they suck. Which makes getting people to travel all the time to various events even harder. One thing we've done here in Cleveland, to accomodate the many people from the Akron, Canton, and Youngstown areas is alternate the location of our regular bi-monthly meeting (usually centered around doing something fun as a group) between the various parts of our region. It's understood that not everybody can make it to ALL events...the important thing is to encourage people to make an effort (and offer suggestions for future gatherings) to attend as many as possible.

Which is understandable, and happens all the time. I give Ludo credit for the effort, given I don't know how much he was briefed on what kinds of things to expect. If I had been with him, during the transition period, I would have said 1st thing that: "Being a CR is not an easy task, depending on the way a group organizes itself." Personally, one of the first things I did as CR of JKOC was create a "jedi council" to take on some of the leadership role off my shoulders. One person can't do everything alone...it will drive you bonkers!

The good news is, I've noticed alot of new people who seem eager to get involved with a group like Fanforce in their area. As long as the older members of both groups can remember to treat them as equals and not "newbies" or "rookies"...and focus on simply expanding the membership base on the boards and at events, I think you guys will be fine. At the end of the day, the goal of Fanforce is simply to bring SW fans together in their local communities.

Originally, I wasn't a big fan of merging the two groups (still undecided if that's the best alternative for ya), but it's starting to look as if both groups have spread themselves to the point where they can hardly sustain a membership with an interest in being a seperate groups.

I'm curious what all of you think? The one thing that makes a good FF and great FF is the sharing of ideas.

2. CINCYFAN

CINCYFAN Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 10, 2005
    I'm totally with you on making the FF grow in this area. Whether it's here in Cincy or in Dayton or wherever. I am also part of the Ohio Star Wars Collector's Club and they are always welcoming new members and try to make them feel as welcome as possible. I feel that with some help and support the new CR could do this. I think maybe there should also be a "vice-CR" or something like that to help out the CR and maybe even an alternate(again getting this from OSWCC, but it WORKS!)in case of a resignation or the CR can't tend to his or her duties because of personal issues or just not having the time.

All in all, whoever becomes the new CR will have the responsibility to maintain and help the growth of each region so we CAN have more members show at meetings. I'll help out in any way, and if Ludo was still CR I would try to give him a hand. I got here as Ludo was on his way out, so I don't know the entire story, but it sounds like he didn't get a lot of interest from the group in meeting regularly and didn't get enough support from fellow FF members.

Just some ideas to try to make things easier on the next person. I also think we need to vote soon. Not having a CR or even an acting CR is not helping us move forward(no offense to Ludo, I totally understand not being able to keep up with this and everything else). What will help us move forward is getting a CR first, then we can discuss events and what to do from there as far as any mergers are concerned.

Phew! Sorry about the long post, but I feel if I don't step up and say something, there won't be a growing FF here due to so many problems. Anyway, hope it all works out.

3. Sean_Starrider

Sean_Starrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 30, 2002
    Like I said, So many times it would just be Sarah and myself at meetings and that is not a FF event, That is 2 people hanging out. It sounds like the same thing is happening in Cincy and so I figure that by merging the 2 you would at least get 5 people to a meeting and that's a fun time. As far as the CR thing goes, I feel that Sarah and whoever gets elected from Cincy should be Co-CRs. There is no reason this can't work...The bi-monthly thing sounds cool, Rotating meetings between the 2 areas. Point Blank...What would it hurt to try it? Neither FF is doing ANYTHING right now. If this doesn't work then at least we tried, If it doesn't work then we will be right back where we are...Doing nothing.

4. Lady_Lucas

Lady_Lucas Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2002
    "Being a CR is not an easy task, depending on the way a group organizes itself."....Ludo did know that from the beggining. The reason we don't want to take a leadership role is not about the difficulty of the task. It is about the spirit of the people. There are plenty of groups that enjoy a united front and do it because of individual interest and integrity. You can't force people to act a certain way but you can choose what groups make more sense to participate in with regards to leadership. Ludo is awesome and I think he did the best job he could. He will serve as a leader in other venues and will be successful. :)

5. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    It wasn't my intention to downplay Ludo's accomplishments as CR of Cincy FF, just a reminder to anyone thinking of taking on the role of what to expect.

The good new is, this is an opportunity for alot of new people to the boards, to get more involved and help shape the future of Fanforce (in their local community)

I'm part of OSWCC, as well as Rebel Legion, 501st, and JKOC. The thing about JKOC is that we figured out the best way to survive the end of the SW movies (and the drop in interest that is sure to follow) is to have a good core group of people, who can be affiliated with as many or as few of these groups as they wish. We tend to leave the costuming events to RL/501st, we're starting to get more involved with OSWCC locally, and in terms of Fanforce...those events are more for stuff your average SW fan can enjoy (either SW-related or not)

The bi-monthly meeting thing...we got that from Pittsburgh FF (SWAP). I swear to Yoda, it works!

6. Sean_Starrider

Sean_Starrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 30, 2002
    Leave it to Pittsburgh to come up with a great idea. I love that city. =D=

7. Lady_Lucas

Lady_Lucas Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2002
    I'm part of OSWCC, as well as Rebel Legion, 501st, and JKOC....busy guy!!
    :)
    Actually we look forward to seeing you at the Honda event is a few weeks. It will be fun! :)

Ok, I am done talking now. Everyone have a great weekend!

8. DarthSkywalker360

DarthSkywalker360 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 21, 2002
    I think the idea of bi-monthly meetings is a very good one. In fact, I'm all for it. But I'm still not 100% convinced that merging fanforces is the right thing to do. It will alienate members that only want to go to meetings that are easy to get to and not time consuming. I say we keep seperate fanforces and we can interact at our own leisure.

As far as having a vice CR or something of that nature, I think that's a great idea. We tried that once before when A.J. was CR, and three other members including Ludo, and myself acted as a senate-type checks and balances system. It was an effective system until A.J. left and the other member moved.

But beyond leadership, we have to deal with the fact that the Star Wars movies are over and we have to find other interests beyond Star Wars to keep attendance up. At our last meeting for example we went on a canoe trip, which was a blast, but we did nothing SW related. I no longer look at our fanforce as just a group of SW geeks getting together and talking SW; but more as a growing group of friends that have common interests (including Star Wars) and like to go out and do fun things.

9. Krash

Oct 11, 2000
    BINGO! Somebody get this kid a teddy bear! That's the whole point of Fanforce. Sure there are groups with specific interest of SW (OSWCC = collecting) (RL/501st=costuming), but the point of FF is to simply gather as many SW fans as possible and just enjoy being together.

The trick to that is...you need people willing to step up and take over, when those kind of people move on to the next stage of their life. People move, people get married and make lil clones (er...kids).

Cincy and Dayton are close enough that (even if you all choose to remain seperate FF chapters) you guys can have a few events/meeting together. Once Cincy figures out whom their CR will be, we'll see what everyone wants to do.

10. Qui-Gon_Ludo

Qui-Gon_Ludo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2002

You know that's exactly how I viewed FF, and I always said it... The problem is, some people are so focused on it being only a SW group that they don't really want to participate in non SW related events like our superb canoe trip :) I find you Mike, Exaulted_1, Darth_Clayton and others to be friends I want to stay in touch with, even on a non SW level.
    That being said, I'll still be having a NFL Kickoff gathering if anyone is interested, we'd like to see our buddies ;) We'll also be hapy to have people over for Halloween, like we did for the past 2 years (SW costumes strongly recommended!!)... :)

11. CINCYFAN

CINCYFAN Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 10, 2005
    I totally agree that we don't just have to talk SW all the time. In fact OSWCC is the same way. While we mostly do collecting types of things, we also have a small portion of us that game each month or try to do other things(i.e.softball, bowling leagues). While that is great, I think the bi-monthly meetings could also be used as place to do some SW related things. Whether it's an event like the OSWCC or the 501st volunteers for, or just hanging out at someone's house and playing SW minis, it gives us a chance to meet other fans and hang out. I'm all for rotating the meetings. The NFL kickoff thing sound cool too. I'm totally into the NFL and all the fantasy gaming that comes with it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.