main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

DFW, TX Cinemark Legacy DFWFF DALLAS Line!

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by Nabooty_Call, Apr 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nabooty_Call

Nabooty_Call Former RSA / Obi-Wan Impersonator star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 11, 2000
    Calling all STAR WARS fans!!!

Thanks to our partners, Atomic Entertainment, Cinemark Theaters, and My Guardian Angel, our great local charity, DFW FanForce is proud to announce our official Dallas line-up will be at the Cinemark Legacy theater.

WHERE?
    The Cinemark Legacy, located at 75 Central and Legacy Drive in Plano, will be hosting our Dallas line. The Legacy is also the only place in DFW where you can view the upcoming STAR WARS Episode II: Attack of the Clones in its intended digital projection format!

WHEN?
    The latest episode in the Star Wars saga will premiere on May 16, 2002. If the film's release follows the same pattern as that of The Phantom Menace in 1999, this means that the first showings of Episode II will be at midnight (night of Wednesday, May 15/early morning of Thursday, May 16). Remember, many of us may need or want to line up twice, once to purchase advance tickets, and again to see the premiere itself. At this point, Cinemark has stated that Lucasfilm and 20th Century Fox have not yet handed down their policy for advance ticket sales for Episode II. More info will be posted here once everything is finalized!

WHAT?
    Just like our line-up for Episode I in 1999, the line-up for Episode II will be a major event in itself! We are currently gathering various retail and media sponsors to help support the line and its activities. Events of all types are also being planned at our meetings and by our Leadership Council to make this the experience of a lifetime! Keep watching this thread for more info on raffles, contests, and celebrity visits to our Dallas line-up!

HOW CAN I HELP?
    My Guardian Angel is our charitable organization of choice this time around. A great local charity, they help children who are suffering through issues of death, divorce, separation, or abandonment. We aim to share some of the excitement and love of the Star Wars saga to help these children hood through the difficult times they are experiencing. By joining us in the Cinemark Legacy line-up, you can help us make a difference in the lives of children who need our support!

Please note you can also make an online donation by visiting My Guardian Angel's website.

This event is poised to be even more fun than our 1999 line-up for The Phantom Menace!

More details will follow; in this thread we will discuss the Dallas line and events related to it. Head on over to Grand Moff Joker's Cinemark Tinsletown DFWFF FORT WORTH Line! for info on our line-up on the West side of the Metroplex!

Here we go, counting down to the biggest movie of the year!!! If you'd like to join us for a truly memorable and fun time, make plans to join us at the Cinemark Legacy this May! Let us know you want to get involved! Just register on our message boards if you haven't already (it's fast, easy, and free!), log on, post a reply in this thread, and join the fun! Or, send email to "brianh@dfwfanforce.net" and let us know that you want to be a part of all the action!

Stay tuned to DFW FanForce.Net for more info, and see you at the line-up! :D

2. Darth_Chocolate

Darth_Chocolate Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 21, 2002
    Whachu talkin'bout Willis?? Are we not lining up at the UA Galaxy 10? I thought everything was already in the works for that theater... They may have the DLP at Legacy, but their sound sux... (as does the A/C and lighting ;) ) Oh, so does the customer service. We have had a good relationship with Zena and crew at the Galaxy since Eric and I first started CDD. Not to mention they have Brad the "sound man" and earth-shattering THX sound there. And they boast the "Largest screens in Texas". And maybe i'm just wrong about location, but with the Grapevine Tinsletown as the FtWorth theater it seems that this caters to mostly the N and NW Dallas area and the NE parts of FtWorth. Pretty close together considering the idea of a second theater was to spread out and cover more ground.

I dunno, maybe i'm just not being agreeable and easy.

Hmmmmm... changes everything this does. Clouded my destiny is....

3. General_Tuttle

General_Tuttle Jedi Youngling

Apr 9, 2002
    Why again has the venue changed? I REALLY liked the Galaxy. Oh Well... :-(

4. Merlyn69

Merlyn69 Jedi Youngling

Apr 9, 2002
    Hi, Andrew here. I lined-up with you guys three years ago too. I was there opening day of TPM.

It wasn't until this weekend that I found your new website and this forum. I've been very excited and couldn't wait to chime in. Like others, I was jazzed about doing it at the Galaxy again. But what is this? The Legacy and Grapevine? Do you realize just how far that is? The Galaxy was more "central" then that. And what gives? Why not the Galaxy anymore?? That was such an awesome experience and the people and management were so cool. Do they know they're getting the shaft? Can we start up a Galaxy line for those of us who still want to do this at the Galaxy?

I agree with Darth Chocolate. Galaxy rules when it comes to sound and size of screens.

This is very disturbing. Just what the hell is going on here?????

What a shocker. I couldn't wait to get involved again....only to have it spoiled. Help me DFWFF you're my only hope.

5. Old-Jedi

Old-Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 25, 2000
    OK Guys,
    Before we start a panic, why don't you come to the next meeting (this Saturday), and get more details about why we made this move. We definitely learned from our previous experience with the line up/camp out, and when all is said and done, you will not be disappointed. The distance maybe an issue for some, but when you factor in some of the benefits, it will more than make for some of the inconvenience.

6. Rebel_Rouser

Rebel_Rouser Jedi Youngling

Jan 28, 2002
    FYI, digital projection is far superior, & the sound at the Legacy is pretty well-balanced. The animated features looked so much cooler on their screens than printed film, & can't wait to see Clones on it too!

For me, it's a no-brainer. I'll be there opening night regardless (just depending on work schedule). Good luck with the lines.

7. THX_Jedi

THX_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 18, 2000

<-----THE LINE STARTS HERE --- I'm first in line!!! :) :)

:cool:

8. jedi_pimpdaddy

jedi_pimpdaddy Jedi Youngling

Apr 9, 2002
    Legacy? What happened to the Galaxy?

Too bad there isn't a theater actually *in* the airport. That'd be even better. :)

9. old-master

old-master Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 12, 2001
    I will be there! I attempting to get my boss to let me off on Wednesday. (whips out a lightsabre to go see boss)
    old-master has spoken...

10. Kurgan1

Kurgan1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 19, 2000
    Guys, just calm down, and give us a chance to explain all of the reasons as to why we are doing this on Saturday. I think that once you've heard all of the reasons, you will agree. :)

11. Darth_Chocolate

Mar 21, 2002
    Reasons? Later? Why not post them here, now. You've made your big announcement. And it's a 180 degree turn from what has been stated previously. Do we, the average member get to vote on this change or anything? After the discussions at the last meeting and looking thru the boards, there has never been any indication that we would NOT be lining up at the Galaxy and that we were even looking around. Frankly, it comes as a bit of a shock. Suddonly, with just over two weeks until we line up, we're shifting gears.... and it's not into overdrive as would be expected. It's more like reverse, because we think we can get a better parking spot elsewhere. Why don't we just change movies too, while we're at it. I hear that Spider-Man is pretty good. ;)

I guess I had better head over there and check out the area around the theater to start scoping it out. Also need to make sure they've taken my "WANTED" poster down.

So has anybody notified Zena and UA that the Galaxy is no longer the official choice for us? I would hate to leave her hanging out in the dark after all that she has done for us over the last three years. "Hey Zena. I know you were expecting us to line up here in 2 weeks, but plans have changed. Sorry. Hope it doesn't affect the business you're trying to run."

Oh, and old-master, seeing as you have posted your participation on both threads (DFW and FtWorth), which line are you gonna be in anyway? Split personalities?

12. Sou-Tra-Kepla

Sou-Tra-Kepla Jedi Youngling

Feb 21, 2002
    I can go either way on this one....Legacy is closer to me though. I couldn't tell you the diff if my life depended on it.

13. Old-Jedi

Nov 25, 2000
    Reasons? Later? Why not post them here, now. You've made your big announcement. And it's a 180 degree turn from what has been stated previously. Do we, the average member get to vote on this change or anything? After the discussions at the last meeting and looking thru the boards, there has never been any indication that we would NOT be lining up at the Galaxy and that we were even looking around. Frankly, it comes as a bit of a shock.

Sometimes unique opportunities present themselves at the last minute. This is a perfect example. We would be doing the group a disservice by not taking advantage of it. When you hear all of the details, you will understand why we went with the Legacy. "A Jedi must have patience" ;)

14. Nabooty_Call

Sep 11, 2000
    We realize this sounds surprising, but believe us, Mike, this was not a decision made lightly, nor was it made without lengthy discussion and investigation.

Several different locations were discussed, but we have all agreed that we want to see Episode II in the best possible way, as Countingdown.com did for Episode I three years ago.

Personally, I was curious but doubtful about checking out other locations at first...I'll have quite a drive to get to the Legacy, but seeing the Clone War trailer and Ice Age in the digital theater changed my mind. If you haven't been to the Cinemark Legacy lately, do yourself a favor and check it out!

After seriously digging in to organizing the line-up for Episode II, we found that the opportunity to see this film premiere in the way it was intended to be seen, digitally projected, as well as many developing synergies, indicated that the Legacy would be truly the best location this time around.

Again, as this group is based in "real life" activities and events, make sure you come to the meeting on Saturday to get the full scoop and take part in voicing your questions and concerns ;)

15. stone

stone Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 4, 2000
    hey mike, dont let our experiece with "pitch black" cloud your opinion on the legacy. that was 3 years ago, and the theater was brand new.

16. Darth_Chocolate

Mar 21, 2002
    No, I'm not letting the Pitch Black experience cloud my judgement. I'm fully aware that it was 3 years ago. I'm just focusing on the fact that we're only 2 weeks from lining up and we're going a totally new direction.

As a matter of fact, the Legacy is MUCH closer to where I live than the Galaxy is, and they DO have the digital projector. I'm not opposed to going there and "doing our thing". My main beef with this is just the way it was communicated and the fact that it is such a last minute change.

I do appologize if I came across too strong last night. I was tired and had just come home from work at 5am when I made that second post. I personally prefer the Galaxy due to historical and presentation reasons. But I do understand how oppertunities can arise that just can't be ignored. And I can get on board with the new decision. I just wish you would post here what the reasons are since you have already made your announcement. The announcement should not have been made if you were not ready to give your reasons for making a change this big. You could have kept the annoncement under wraps until the meeting and then opened it all up at once. Without pubicly stating both at the same time, you open yourselves up to doubt and this kind of criticism. And I hope that someone will post the reasons here after the meeting for those that cannot be there, which may include myself the way work is going right now.

And I do hope that someone has discussed this with the Galaxy, in a very diplomatic manner. I really feel like they are getting the shaft late in the game.

17. Nabooty_Call

Sep 11, 2000
    No problem, Mike! I hope we all prefer a bit of healthy skepticism to mindless herd mentality or apathy. Questions pave the way for improvement.

All we ask for is your support and trust that we're not going to do anything that will jeopardize this event. STAR WARS is what we love, and we've been working hard as a group to gear up for the premiere line-up, and while by no means perfect, with everyone's help we'll continue upgrading DFW FanForce, have no fear!

Basically, with lines beginning all across the country, the time was right to throw more concrete information out there in preparation for Saturday's meeting. Think of it as a wake-up call for DFW Star Wars fans...Attack of the Clones is almost here, and it's going to be huge! You will find out more on Saturday.

Don't worry, the notes from the upcoming Saturday meeting will be posted, and this thread will be updated with information from our discussions as they pertain to the Dallas line.

Keep in mind, though, that posts are no substitute for having everyone who wants to contribute at the meeting. 2:00 p.m. this Saturday at the Half Price Books on 75 Central and Northwest Highway will be where we all come together to help shape this line-up.

It will take us all working together to continue making this event the huge success it can truly be. Just because it sounds cheesy doesn't mean it's not true :)

18. Drayyk_Oloan

Drayyk_Oloan Jedi Youngling

Feb 21, 2002
    I'm taken by surprise a little bit myself over this recent turn of events. But I'm hoping that this is one of those "Good things take time, but great things happen all at once" situations... ;)

19. DarthCynthia

DarthCynthia Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 18, 2000
    At the last meeting, I thought I heard a few people mention that the Galaxy were a bit hesitant about whether or not DFF could do another lineup? Correct me if I'm wrong.. maybe I misunderstood. Take care and best wishes to the Dallas lineup (and Ft Worth!)

MTFBWY

20. Epyon22

Epyon22 Jedi Youngling

Mar 13, 2002

Although I am not happy with the decision I will still be there every day after school if possible. Even though this does hurt the gas situation for me since I live in Forney which is about 15 miles east of Mesquite.

The Galaxy rules all!!!!!!!!!!

21. Old-Jedi

Nov 25, 2000
    It may take some adjusting for everybody, but trust me Eric you won't be disappointed.

22. jwa1107

jwa1107 Jedi Youngling

Apr 2, 2002
    I live and work in Plano and almost exclusively go to Legacy. I can tell you it is a fine theater. And I would venture to say the only reason that the DLP screens are not THX is the fact that Lucasfilm is only now beginning to certify digital equipment for THX. And the Dolby Digital sound will not disappoint.

Hopefully Legacy will be using both DLP screens for AOTC.

And I agree, if you have not been to see DLP - go check out Ice Age with the Clone War trailer.

23. Admiral_Drake

Admiral_Drake Jedi Youngling

Mar 29, 2002
    i can't be there the entire time
    i have school
    is it ok if i joined the last 3-4 days of the line

24. Nabooty_Call

Sep 11, 2000
    Sure, Admiral! Everyone is welcome to come out to the line and share in the AOTC experience. The more, the merrier :)

25. Sirikus_Willowbend

Sirikus_Willowbend Jedi Youngling

Dec 17, 2000
    hey all,

erm... man and I was looking forward to getting my old spot back =) heheh - anyway actually the legacy is closer and I really do like that DLP, but why the change, I mean the galaxy was our theater ya know =/ I feel bad that we're not gonna be there... unfortunately I can't make it to the meeting this sat, so if someone in the know would mind dropping me an e-mail about the details I'd really really appreciate it - even if it has to wait til saturday, and failing that mebee I can get my dad to show at the meeting and take notes for me =)

anyway hope to see you guys in line soon =) - too bad they won't let me out of class to line up *grumble* they just better let me take my theater lighting final early, or I'm not taking it...

Jon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.