main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

DFW, TX Cinemark @ Legacy

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by censor23, Feb 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. censor23

censor23 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2001
    Who's going to see AOTC here on the DLP. I'd like to, but don't want to stand in line alone. I'll probably be only able to camp out one night so if anyone is planning on doing it longer than that you'll have to count me out. But I would like to make this a group effort.

2. Kurgan1

Kurgan1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 19, 2000
    We're currently planning to line up for the midnight show at the Galaxy in Garland. The tentative plan is to see it the next day at the Legacy with the DLP.

3. censor23

Jul 6, 2001
    Is there a reason that you didn't choose the legacy for the midnight show? I've never been to the garland theater so I don't know how nice it is. I usually only go to the cinemark, the landmark, or the angelika.

4. Kurgan1

Nov 19, 2000
    The Galaxy is the best theater in town. The DLP at the Legacy is a close second. There are several reasons for this. One, the Galaxy has THX sound that is unparalleled, even better than the Legacy. Two, the main auditoriums are the biggest in Texas. Three, we've already got a great relationship with the management and surrounding businesses.

If you've never been before, please do go take a trip up there to test drive a movie. Make sure you see it in either auditorium 5 or 9, as those are the two big ones.

Like I said, we all want to see it Digital, as well, so the plan right now is to catch Episode II at the DLP at the Legacy just a few hours later.

5. censor23

Jul 6, 2001
    That sounds like a plan, however how are you going to get tickets for the show at the cinemark if we're all waiting in line at the garland theater?

6. Kurgan1

Nov 19, 2000
    It probably won't be a problem. They usually sell tickets about a week in advance, and only the evening/night shows usually sell out. As long as people go by and get them as soon as possible after they go on sale, it won't be a problem.

7. censor23

Jul 6, 2001
    I'm still undecided about what to do. Work makes it difficult for me to stand in lines very long. Is it still going to be possible to see the 1200am show if i only make it there the night before tickets go on sale? (does the UA sell them two weeks early?). Plano is also much more convienent too my work (plano) than anywhere else so I could show up right after work. Nothing is convienent to where I live (oak cliff).

Another quick question, do you ever have home theater parties? watching the phantom menace or some other DVD? That's something I'd be interested in as well, although I don't have enough seats to make a whole lot of people comfy (you do need to sit close to a 32" tv), i do have every set up and nicely calibrated. I'm sure other people have it even better.

8. Jedi_Jarvis

Jedi_Jarvis Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 7, 2001
    we might also be able to order the Legacy tickets online, like Kurgan said a week early, so make sure you keep an eye on Cinemark.com for that info.

We will all know more once we get within 50 days I'm sure.

9. Kurgan1

Nov 19, 2000
    The way it went last time, and the way most theaters do it now is that they put tickets on sale for big movies about a week beforehand.

Now, there are some things we just don't know yet. The Galaxy may or may not even get the film. We're doing all that we can to make sure that they do, but it's ultimately not up to us. See more in my other post about us needing help.

If the worst happened and the Galaxy didn't get the film, then our second choice would be a midnight show of the DLP at the Legacy. However, there is much less chance of there being a line at all if this happens. We have no relationship with the Legacy and I have no idea if they'd even let us camp out anywhere nearby. Secondly, there is no guarantee that the Legacy will be showing Episode II in DLP on opening night. Chances are, they'll get it eventually, but there are no guarantees. DLP is still a very rare thing and it's up to the studios if they want to do it or not. Keep in mind, the Legacy never got the DLP print of Episode I.

Again, it's just too early to tell. We have a few tentative plans, but until we can get more information as the release date gets closer, that's about as much as we can do.

Also, if you haven't already, give the Galaxy a test run. Go see a movie there, and you'll understand why it's our first choice, even beyond our relationship with the management. To be honest, the Legacy is the closest theater to me as well. However, I think the extra trip is worth it for the Galaxy.

As far as the home theater stuff goes, quite a few of us are HT buffs, but unfortunately, most of us are too poor to get a truly awesome setup. ;)

One day....

10. censor23

Jul 6, 2001
    My favorite place to see movies by far is the angelika film center. I doubt most people would care much for the movies they play, but if you like independent movies, foreign films, or things by modern directors who matter (coppola, scorcesi, wes anderson, etc.) it's the best place to go. Where else can you take a beer or martini from the bar to the theater? :)

As far as home theater stuff goes, my system is pretty good right now. I need to upgrade to seperate amps soon, I could use a more powerful sub, I probably should consider upgrading to 7.1 or 6.1, and a hi-def tv would be nice. But with the economey the way it is I think I'll hold pat. I probably will upgrade to the higher line of Klipsch speakers soon (gotta love the horns) and move my other speakers klipsch's to surround duty. I also will be buying an HDTV within the next year now that the copy protection schemes are almost sorted out.

As to a theater and lines: I would imagine the cinemark to get it on DLP this time around as DLP has more of a foothold this time. I also have never had a theater deny the right to line up the night before. A mall theater in tulsa required people to line up outside the mall, but that was it. Now as to camping out for multiple days, that might be more of a problem. But If you call any theater and talk to the manager they'll most likely say it's okay. I'm really not too conserned about where I see the movie, as long as it's 12:00am. I would like to see it on the DLP at least once just to compare it. I also don't want to spend too much time in line. In 1999 I was only in line for about 8 hours... it wasn't too fun because I didn't know anyone. I could probably handle over night this time if i knew some people.

Andrew

11. Kurgan1

Nov 19, 2000
    No, no, I didn't mean that they would deny the right to line up a few hours before showtime. Of course they'll allow that. What I meant was that we've been planning to make the line for Episode II similar to the one for Episode I, just shorter. Last time, we started camping out a month before the movie. This time, the plan is to do so about two weeks before. No, no one would have to be out there to necessarily secure a place in line, but it's a lot of fun, and everyone that comes out always has a good time. And that is what I meant about the line. If the Legacy is our only choice, I'm not sure they'll allow us to do that. Which is why we're pulling even harder for the Galaxy.

12. Nabooty_Call

Nabooty_Call Former RSA / Obi-Wan Impersonator star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 11, 2000
    Funny you mention home theater viewings of the STAR WARS films, censor! We've been kicking around the idea of getting together to watch 'em.

Anyone interested in hosting this type of event, lemme know :)

13. THX_Jedi

THX_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 18, 2000
    I've got the sound system for it but my tv sucks. :D

:cool:

14. censor23

Jul 6, 2001
    Well, I could host something... but my house isn't what you would call huge. I have two couches and could probably squeeze in a few chairs and stuff and maybe fit 10 people in that could comfortably see. But i do mix a mean martini and/or a cosmo, which makes the viewing all the more fun.

Andrew

15. Old-Jedi

Old-Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 25, 2000
    Censor did you say you live in Oak Cliff? That's very interesting since the OldJedi spent his formative years in that verdant sector of the city(I also learned to refer to myself in the 3rd person there also). Actually I've recently been assigned to work back there on occasion. I'm head of security for a company that shall remain nameless, but it's located in the Bank of America building ;) What part of OC exactly?

16. Kurgan1

Nov 19, 2000
    *drool* 7.1 surround sound with 16x9 HDTV.....

You know, as good as home theater setups are getting, along with great DVDs, I almost prefer watching the movies at home rather than at a theater. At home, I don't have to deal with some idiot talking through the whole thing, or crying babies or cellphones, etc. And I don't have to worry about whatever retarded 12 year old (TIMMY!!!) is running the projection booth. :)

Ah, when I have the means, I'm going to have the greatest home theater system ever...and I'm going to get first run movies sent to my house. :)

17. THX_Jedi

Nov 18, 2000
    Don't you mean first run movies sent to your throne room, my master. :D

18. censor23

Jul 6, 2001
    I live near the bishop art's district... the closest landmark would be the methodist hospital. I live between colorado and davis ave's. It's weird everyone told me how bad and scarey the area was, but at least the part i live in is on the upswing... it appears to be going upscale very quickly...

For now I'm happy with 5.1 (even though I have a 6.1 capable reciever) in my listening room, 6.1 would be overkill. I've also looked at getting a 16:9 TV, however right now I just don't see the point with TV's you can always buy one size bigger by going 4:3, i.e. 53" 4:3 = 47" 16:9. The 53" has the same size picture when watching a letterboxed movie, and with the squeeze mode looses no resolution. Best of all when watching 4:3 material you use the whole screen, where as with a 16:9 47" TV you'd see about a 40" 4:3 picture. Maybe when everything is in 16:9 I'll change my tune, but for right now I watch too much 4:3 material to justify it.

19. censor23

Jul 6, 2001
    THX_Jedi,

what kind of sound system do you have?

20. THX_Jedi

Nov 18, 2000
    I've got a 6.1 with 3 amps. My sub at the moment is small and worthless...plus I live on a second floor which would piss my idiot downstairs neighbor off if I had anything bigger. :D With enough speakers to choke a camel. :D I seriously have to rewire my entire set up since I ended up unhooking most of it trying to find a bad audio cable the other day. I also need a bigger place.

21. censor23

Jul 6, 2001
    I only have 5.1... 5 klipsch synergy series, powered by an outlaw 1050 reciever. I keep thinking i should add seperate amps, but the klipsch's are so efficient I don't really need it. I think better speakers and a a better sub will come first. I have a Klipsch 12" sub, which i bought before I really new alot about subs... I plan on either buying an SVS or building a sono-tube in the near future.

Andrew

22. Old-Jedi

Old-Jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 25, 2000
    Know the Bishop area well, you must have sauntered into Bishop Grill at least once or twice. Nothing like good home cooking surround by right-wing literature(Morpheus would love it ;) )
    MMMMMMM Norma's MMMMMM Gloria's . Actually I realized how much I really like the area, having lived to the north for so long. It certainly has it's own pulse.

BTW If any of you ever get out that way (Oak Cliff) and are into collectibles try Eva's Junque Shop on Beckley between 12th and Jefferson. ` She vintage Star Wars stuff at very reasonable prices. She's only opened Thu-Sat but you never know what you're going to find.

As for my Home Theater I have a Sony 6.1 setup, a Sony DVP-CX860 300+1 DVD player, an Apex 800 progressive scan DVD player, and a Konka region free DVD player. Currently using a 36" RCA, but will be moving to a DLP front projection this year and if money and wife`permits a DVDO line doubler.

23. Kurgan1

Nov 19, 2000
    Grrrrrr....not fair. :(

24. censor23

Jul 6, 2001
    Front projection is my ultimate goal, but right now space and the fact that I move around alot limits that. I plan on buying a 36" HDTV tube in the near future so I can use that for all my regular TV watching then drop a screen and use a projector for everything else.

I haven't been to all those restraunts, being a vegetarian I don't eat out that much. But I have been to the Bishop Grill (yum), Vitto Italian (double yum), and Chan Thai.

25. DarthCynthia

DarthCynthia Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 18, 2000
    Yay! Another veg*an! :) My husband Christopher and I are vegans... nice to "meet" ya :) I know the feeling about the restaurant thing as well...

MTFBWY!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.