main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Cinematography/Film Techniques of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by PymParticles , Apr 10, 2016.

1. emanswfan

emanswfan Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 2, 2016
    Worthwhile watch of an cinematographic analysis and a look into the behind-the-scenes technical details. (mind the April fools day joke at the beginning.)

Love the lighting techniques utilized in this film, and Interesting how the film has a blanket emulation of the Kodak 5230 film stock applied.

2. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Rewatching the film last night, the structure and pacing of the first act remains painfully jagged. On the other hand, the intercutting in Act 3 between the Jyn and Cassian, Chirrut and Baze, Bodhi on the cargo shuttle and the space battle is quite deftly handled.

Revyl Ren and Guidman like this.
  3. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I know you're not being totally serious here, but given zoidar's response I feel I should point out that Iceland doesn't look murky in GOT, Oblivion, Interstellar, Prometheus etc. In fact, due to the light up there, it tends to look bright and crystal clear in movies.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  4. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Yes, but in RO, it seems they filmed on very foggy days. That contributed to the washed out look.

In any event, I thought the cinematography was excellent here. It felt wet. And captured the beautiful moodiness of Reynisfjara in Iceland, a place I know quite well.

redxavier likes this.
  5. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    This is easily one of the most gorgeous shots in the film. Unbelievably conceived and rendered by ILM / Greig Fraser.

[​IMG]

6. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    I love the conglomeration of different architectural styles. Reminds me a bit of Naboo. Some Greco-Roman here, some Hindu temple there, a little Victorian style right about there, and a pinch of Byzantine to top it all off. :D

Jim Smith and Ricardo Funes like this.
  7. Jim Smith

Jim Smith Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 5, 2017

Vader Corridor of Carnage, I like that, you make it sound so friggin' cool! :D

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  8. zoidar

zoidar Jedi Youngling

Dec 20, 2015

Funny you mention Oblivion and Prometheus because the cinematography of those movies remind me of Rogue One's prologue. That being said, Iceland is vast and GOT, etc. could've shot scenes in less foggy locations.

9. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Well, fog also isn't a fixed feature of a place. RO clearly shot on a foggy day in Reynisfjara. Those other films and shows, it seems, didn't.

In any event, I though the fog gave the scenes an added atmosphere. You could feel it seeping into the character's bones - a chill descending, brought by the Empire...

Jim Smith and Ricardo Funes like this.
  10. zoidar

zoidar Jedi Youngling

Dec 20, 2015
    Exactly!

11. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Great cinematography comparisons between RO and the OT in this video... very cool.