main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Cinematography/Film Techniques of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by PymParticles , Apr 10, 2016.

1. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    An odd little mannerism to give him... He likes to hold his thumbs. His silhouette seems to be doing it too.

2. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    He probably knows the Empire is coming from him. It's probably a nervous tic of some kind.

3. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015

The Empire is known to chop off people's thumbs. True story.

4. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Edward's sense of scale is fantastic and on full display here

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    Just wow.

I'm getting a real 'V' vibe from the Star Destroyer image. Brilliantly showing Imperial dominance and oppression.

6. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Agreed. It looks incredible in every sense of the word. Cinematography, f/x, designs, sets/locations. As PymParticles said, a great use of scale. I mentioned in another thread that whatever else Rogue One ultimately is or isn't dramatically, it's set the bar for the SW saga on the technical side of things based on what I've seen. It makes TFA look a tad lackluster by comparison.

7. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    I agree, and even if R1 isn't a home run, at least Lucasfilm have nailed the look and execution of an OT-era film which bodes well for the Han Solo and ?Boba Fett movies.

8. Hyrum_Solo

Hyrum_Solo Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 1, 2015
    I get that a Star Destroyer in the atmosphere is great imagery, but...it doesn't make sense to me.

9. Luke'sSeveredHand

Luke'sSeveredHand Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2014
    I get the feeling we've seen that plateau before (conspiracy theory alert!!)...

10. HugoWanKenobi

HugoWanKenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 3, 2013

[face_dunno]

DaddlerTheDalek and Krueger like this.
  11. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    And what would said theory be?

Luke'sSeveredHand likes this.
  12. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015

Er...what's hard to understand about a Star Destroyer in the atmosphere?

13. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    If this were a series predicated on the concept of being as scientifically accurate as possible and that routinely followed the known laws of physics, I'd agree that seeing an Inperial Star Destroyer hovering in atmosphere like that is outlandish. But, given that this is a series that runs on the Force, aka space magic, and where ships make pew pew noises in the silent vacuum of space, I'm good with it.

TX-20 and JoshieHewls like this.
  14. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015

Right, but since we don't fully understand the technology behind SD flight, who's to say it doesn't have gravity propulsors of some kind that allow it to hover in place? You know, engines that manipulate theoretical graviton particles, which many physicists believe must exist. In this case, it's not that the shot is scientifically inaccurate. It's just that it displays a technology that we don't currently possess. A theoretical physicist, for example, would look at that image and suggest that such a thing is certainly possible.

15. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Someone find pics of every single shot where tiny little starfighters were juxtaposed against the majesty of whatever environment they happened to be flying through.

16. Kev Snowmane

Kev Snowmane Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2013
    They're called "repulsorlift engines" and most every ship DOES have one. This isn't something new to the saga.

Speaking to the point about scale, other reviewers of this director's work have pointed out he likes to shoot a very "ground level" or "human" scale whenever he can. It keeps a sense of immediacy and focuses the audience on the characters.

17. General_Leia_Organa

General_Leia_Organa Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 23, 2016
    Some of the shots in the trailer were just phenomenal. Like best looking shots I've seen in this universe since Empire phenomenal. It'll be amazing on the big screen.

18. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015

By "we don't fully understand the technology" I was talking about scientists here on Earth at this stage in history. I understand that the repulsorlift engines are GFFA canon...

Yes, and the other benefit of this "perspective" is that it makes the huge things look appropriately huge. The biggest mistake directors make in epic films is to show too much from a bird's eye view, which actually serves to diminish scale (such as looking at a large army from too far above, as an eagle might see it). But put a person on a cliff, and have him or her look out on that large army from closer to the ground, makes it look far more imposing. Same with a Star Destroyer. Have Jyn and Cassian look up at it, from ground level, and it's far, far more frightening.

Hernalt likes this.
  19. Hyrum_Solo

Hyrum_Solo Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 1, 2015
    JabbatheHumanBeing
    Traditionally, ISDs were too big to descend into a planetary atmosphere ( edit: or I'm guessing escape it's gravity well). The fact that this little tidbit has been disregarded erks me. Beautiful shot, wonderful imagery, just contradicts my head canon. [face_dunno]
    As far as explanations go I haven't got any that satisfy my suspension of disbelief (yet).

20. Luke'sSeveredHand

Luke'sSeveredHand Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2014
    It's definitely not the case, but *what if* that planet was the first test site for the Death Star and it's not fully operational so rather than destroying the planet it only reduces it to pure desert. *What if* that plateau in particular was associated with the jedi or the force in some way (mining kyber crystals), and *what if* after the planet is reduced to rubble, they rename it Jakku?

Again...pretty much just came up with a silly theory which will prove to be false because of Lor San Tekka's village being located on a similarly looking plateau.

21. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    What exactly is the gravity of this planet? It isn't Earth.

22. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Gareth Edwards has a great sense of scale. This has been evident in all of his films. And he's particularly good a making things look big and imposing that are supposed to be.

23. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Just like TFA, I thought cinematography look out of this world. I think in terms of look, we are in for a real treat again.

24. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    im hoping that Rogue One will be nominated for some awards this season.

Revyl Ren likes this.
  25. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Seeing that Star Destroyer hovering in atmosphere is great, but it's weird having just seen Star Trek Beyond. Scottie throws a fit over the fact that Starfleet vessels aren't designed for atmospheric flying, and those ships are significantly smaller than ISDs.